1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TV License

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Sep 16, 2012.

Discuss TV License in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Scrap the * thing.
    £145 a year and can't even get Celtic matches on it down here unless they are playing the English * in Europe.
    * the BBC.

Sydneysider likes this.
  2. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I can see how you may have had some issues working with English people in the past Drak :52: :56:

3. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :39::101::101:

4. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    What * me off most about the BBC is the ridiculous imbalance about what is raised in Scotland and what is spent in Scotland in terms of programming and output.

5. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Costume dramas and Adrian Chiles.

No thanks.

muaythai postie likes this.
  6. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    If you break it down its less than 40p a day. In return you get many good documentaries and some good comedy shows (Mock the week, HIGNFY etc). Basically if you only found 1 hours worth of entertainment a week its cheap.

7. Nasser

C4 does better documentaries BBC tend to be biased. 40p a day so that Chris Evens can get money and the like no thanks. Mock of the week is also scripted but then again that doesn't make it less funny.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    House hunting and antique programmes on 7 days a week, Strictly is OK but The Voice is a mess, far too many programmes aimed at a Tory audience imo.

It's an antiquated organisation, out of time and out of touch, needs a major re-vamp.

Sydneysider likes this.
  9. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Yes they do good doc's as well and at least there are no adverts :icon_mrgreen:
    As you say most things are scripted on TV anyway .. so to me anyway its worth it of I get an hour a week out of it only.

I hear 'Strictly' is very popular with the tory swing voter as well :86:

10. TimFloyd Gold Member

What's a TV license? :86:

11. Big Boss Gold Member Gold Member

If you think about it, we actually pay quite a lot for the license fee, almost £12 a month, think about how much that is in comparison to something like £7.50 a month for Netflix. I know that a lot of people, myself included, probably get more valuable watch time out of something like Netflix over the BBC.

The problem with the BBC is that it's supposed to and tries to appeal to all audiences but it really doesn't. I mean, up until 3 o'clock on a weekday you're subjected to the likes of Homes Under The Hammer, Bargain Hunt etc. Actually, you might as well not tune into BBC up until 7 or 8 at night because there's nothing really worth watching and even then you have to sift through the soaps and other crap to get to the good stuff which is few and far between.

Perhaps the license fee could hold its own in the past when there was no competition, but it really does fall flat in comparison to the streaming services with generally much more high-quality, entertaining content that's available at any time.

12. StevieBhoooy!

The end is coming ….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60027436

Fee frozen fir at least next 2 years (£159)

Unfortunately they have another 5 years they can demand a licence fee… but charter won’t be renewed.

Time to go ‘on demand’ for those who want it. Non stop soap guff, celebrity dancing, quiz shows and talk show Pish can be bought by those who want it.

£13-25 a month might not seem a lot but it’s not value if you don’t want any of the ‘product’.

I think the BBC could actually be forced into a pay perr we view it subscription (by choice) model before 2027…

… they are struggling as it is - which is why they lobbied successfully for the reintroduction of fees for the over 75s. - they’ve admitted they’d struggle without it.

If more people simply refuse to pay the license fee, simply because they don’t watch live tv (or iPlayer) - or refuse on principle - then they will have to look at an alternative funding model within the next few years.

Cant happen soon enough.

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I actually feel the BBC create some good educational kids shows, they provide BBC Alba and S4C, I think that while their journalism is flawed they have an easy to navigate website which is decent if you stay away from their comment pieces. They need to stop * money up the wall paying Lineker £1.3m and Zoe Ball £1.1m and 400k to Shearer and Feltz. The system of the license fee however is outdated and it is easy to argue why should people fund an organisation you could easily ignore.

14. Al Bootyerbaws

Anybody who still pays for a tv licence is aff their head.

Hydrobhoy, Gundog, packybhoy and 2 others like this.
  15. StevieBhoooy!

I think there’s a lot of people who are simply afraid not to.., there aren’t really detector vans any more but the Capita Gestspo are there to doorstep you and they can be heavy handed. The threat of a £1000 fine or even jail (which is a legitimate option) is too much to risk for many … especially the elderly who’ve just had to start paying again.

It’s still the case that if you buy a tv … they get to hear about it.. and if the address hasn't got a licence … they want to know why not? If you declare ‘no licence needed’ they tell you they might still give you a visit because they find that 1 in 6 is incorrect - ie they say you are lying.

For me it’s just a matter of consumer principles..

….why should anyone be obliged to pay for a product they don’t want… in order to access another companies product that you do want?

16. stew37

5 more years of their 'investigations' and ridiculous cycle of letters then.

I'm sure some other tax will be introduced in its place, but I won't be paying that either.

17. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

I stopped about 5 years ago. They were sending letters until I phoned them about 3 years ago to tell them that I only watch Netflix and Youtube. That was me off the register. Job done.

18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Always thought they come round to check you don't have an ariel? :56: i managed 6 months last time of letters before she caved and this years renewal ain't happening so I might phone. I actually only watch netflix and football. I mean YouTube but do have a TV with every iptv channel on earth :fear:

packybhoy likes this.
  19. Al Bootyerbaws

I done it about 3 years ago. Would have done it sooner but my mrs is a shitebag. Just filled a wee thing in online saying same as you about netflix and youtube and the letters stopped.

packybhoy likes this.
  20. StevieBhoooy!

Looks like the Government could be announcing the abolition of the licence fee next week.. might be for a few years down the line .. but long overdue .

I’ve seen idiots opening petitions to keep it as well.