1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Markybhoy, May 16, 2014.

Discuss The Tennis Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Do we really need to go back round the full circle?

You have admitted that you’re not saying the Australian government are wrong to rescind the visa of someone who has lied through his teeth to gain access to the country. So in effect you’re admitting that they’ve made the right decision, whether you like it or not.

I’ll leave it at that.

King of Kings and Jeannie960 like this.
  2. murphy88

You were the one that asked the question again. I already said they made they probably made the right decision based on their rules.

3. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I don’t disagree with you about Djokovic, I’ve already said there’s no defending what he did when it comes to ignoring isolation rules and lying.
    It just seems to be a bit of a mess from the Aussies. Ever since it became obvious that the Australian public felt aggrieved (quite rightly) that he was allowed to be there they have tried everything to get rid of him, not very successfully.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The Australian government didn’t fill his paperwork in for him?

5. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I know that mate.
    You think the Aussies have done a good job here, I think it’s a bit of a mess. Not really worth discussing much more.
    Moving away from the politics, I think this gives an interesting insight into the mindset of somebody like Djokovic. I’d have told them to stick their tennis tournament and been on the first plane back to Marbella but it’s obvious that this guy, even when he’s wrong, just won’t accept defeat to anybody over anything.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Murray semi-final highlights in that video.

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I doubt it will happen but if Djokovic losses his appeal on Sunday not only will he be correctly deported for lying on his visa application they could potential tack on a 3 year ban on attempting to enter Australia again. Doubt that will happen and expect he will just get sent packing but will be interesting.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think he comes across as far more entitled, than determined, in this case.

It’s not a case of him fighting if against some form of injustice, perceived or otherwise. He’s simply lied and assumed that his status would be sufficient to get away with it.

Big els, cidermaster and Jeannie960 like this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I get you have an opposing view mate, I’m just asking what you think they’ve done wrong?

Djokovic wants has 21st Slam and if he wasn’t tied with Rafa and Fed on 20 currently the force of will he has, publicly, to be at this tournament would be nowhere near as great.

10. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Taking the first paragraph alone, I totally see where you’re coming from. I don’t think you’re being anti-vax or anything like that, I think your point is that the Aussie government could and should have dealt with this better and I agree with that. To be honest, I think they made a huge mistake in giving Djokovic an exception to travel in the first place and they’ve been backtracking on that ever since. They got to the correct decision eventually but it should have been more decisive.

Your second paragraph is interesting from a sporting and psychological perspective and very true. I think a lot of what has made Djokovic hugely successful is his upbringing and having to fight for everything. He’s a huge talent and his refusal to admit defeat in games, sets, matches and indeed life is to be admired on a lot of levels. He’s fighting a lost cause here though and, for me, the difference between Novak and Roger/Rafa is that the other two would have walked before now for the good of the sport’s reputation and doing the right thing. There is something noble in there, but he’s handled it all horrifically.

I think the last couple of weeks will reflect terribly on his legacy to be honest. He could win 21+ but he’ll never be as “great” as Roger or Rafa for the sport of tennis.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    paulie walnuts likes this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  12. SkyeCelt

No sympathy, Novak. Get the vaccine ya bawbag!

13. murphy88

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Muzza ran out of steam today, that lad he’s playing will be a problem in the Slam - guaranteed to go deep on that surface.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  15. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Aye, you’re probably right about the 21 making him extra determined.
    I honestly don’t know a huge amount about the precise details of what’s gone on here but it just looks messy to me. The fact he’s still there, 2 days before the start of the tournament, when they obviously don’t want him to be, doesn’t suggest a slick or decisive border control process. That’s all I was saying.
    This guy Morrison seems to have similar views on border control to Trump. Not sure that’s something to be admired.

murphy88 likes this.
  16. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I agree with everything you’ve said here.
    I’m not anti vax at all. I just don’t have a problem with people choosing not to get it and don’t like the way they’re being discriminated against.
    But yeah, if the Aussies don’t want ‘the unvaccinated’ then don’t let them land there then grandstand about it.
    There’s no doubt he’s let himself down here but I’ve always found Djokovic an interesting character. Not as naturally talented as Federer but still managed to get himself to the top of the game.
    As I say, the past few days are an example of how he just won’t quit until he gets what he wants.

17. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Is the Beyond Mega * who should really have 15-16 Grand Slam titles still there??

18. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  19. murphy88

Being reported that Djokovic did have a legal medical exemption. Alex Hawke will apparently focus on Djokovic being a high profile unvaccinated person and the threat that could have to public health and public order. Scott Morrison had also said that Djokovic’s visa cancellation helps keep the country safe. It’s all about vaccination status this.

paulie walnuts likes this.
  20. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Hope the Mega Selfish * cannot play any Grand Slam Event this season with his Horrible Selfish Attitude!