1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart McLaren: Celtic’s new Under-18 manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 12, 2022.

Discuss Stuart McLaren: Celtic’s new Under-18 manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are delighted to announce the appointment of Stuart McLaren as the club’s new under-18s’ manager.

McLaren has joined the Hoops from the Scottish FA where he coached Scotland Under-16s and was the interim manager for the women’s national team.

“I’m absolutely thrilled to be here – with the stature of the club it’s obviously well-known and that was a huge attraction,” he said.

Head of Celtic Youth Academy, Chris McCart welcomed McLaren to the club as the new man now replaces Darren O’Dea who was promoted to the Celtic B team.

McCart said: “Stuart performed very well with his interview and practical session. Our process was very thorough and we are delighted that Stuart came through as the successful candidate.

“We would also like to thank the SFA and in particular Andy Gould (Chief Football Officer) for allowing Stuart to join us from his role as the Under-16s’ national team manager.”

The Scottish-Australian says his aim in this new role is to try and make sure “each of the boys that comes through the club has a fruitful and beneficial experience”.

McLaren said: “I want to make sure that they do everything that they possibly can in their time with us to realise their potential,

“That potential could see some of them follow in the footsteps of the Tierneys and the McGregors and Forrests.”

The 46-year-old was born in Scotland but spent his youth in Australia playing professionally before a stint with Stirling Albion - whom he later managed - and Hamilton Accies.

The centre-back then returned to Australia playing in the A-League for Brisbane Roar.

McLaren left Brisbane Roar only a couple of months before Ange Postecoglou’s reign at the Queensland side, where their “paths crossed”, but he had already stepped into a player/manager role in the tier below.

McLaren added: “I’ve watched with good pride, as a fellow Aussie in a sense, as he’s gone on to achieve the things that he has, and it’s not a surprise to me that he’s started here in the fashion he has

“I’m sure everyone connected with Celtic is thrilled with the impact he’s made, and we can all look forward to hopefully a period of success that Ange will bring.”

McLaren said he really enjoys working with players from a development level.

He said: “Obviously at the first-team level it is solely about results. For me, it does float my boat seeing players further their careers and try and progress onto better things and all that encompasses.

“Some of the players we have here you hope will go on and do good things for the first team and get to play at that magnificent stadium and help the club achieve all its aims and ambitions - and Champions League and winning trophies.”

He’s also aware that not every youth player will make it as professional footballers, and added: “Some you hope you can support them in their journey and go and have a career elsewhere in football and some unfortunately we know won’t make it, but we hope that their experience here at the Academy at Celtic stands them in good stead whatever path their life takes them on.”

His first game in charge of Celtic Under-18s is this Friday against their Aberdeen counterparts.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Imagine what we'd achieve if we had a full backroom staff as well as a full squad?

3. phreeky

Stuart and Ange would know each other pretty well I suspect. Stuart was an assistant at a team up against Ange's side in the A-League. So it's somewhat interesting that there'll likely be good communication across Celtic from U18 up to the senior side, as Celtic B also seem to be well integrated too.

4. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Welcome

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Brilliant to have him on board, Darren gets promoted, as has McManus, so this fills in a position with someone whos been doing a job in football coaching for a few years now. Not needing international winners to manage our u18, just someone competent. Which I would expect he is.

Welcome to the club Stuart!