1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Riley McGree

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 18, 2017.

Discuss Riley McGree in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Not really that bothered about this guy

3. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    If he's more interested in boro than Celtic because of a few k extra then there is no way I would want him here to begin with. The choice should be a straightforward one if I'm honest.

4. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Definitely isn’t as straight forward as McGree wanting to join Middlesbrough. I’m thinking Middlesbrough have fronted up with the fee to Charlotte and it’s most likely Charlotte who are putting pressure on McGree to accept the higher offer along with the higher wage.

It’s a shity situation for a player, not really wanting to go to the higher paying club and then your employer says we’ll hold off for a bit, hoping the lower paying club walks away.

bhoy_wonder likes this.
  5. Maestro 08

Middlesbrough aren't goin to offer 2 million more to a selling club that have already accepted a much lesser fee. That's just madness, especially when those extra funds could go towards giving the player a much greater salary to tempt him to sign.

Too much rumours and paper talk that everyone seems to just automatically accept as gospel.

The deal was never done and people were already jumping the gun about welcoming him in and now they are jumping the gun again.

Let's see what happens.

Big Shoes and Peej like this.
  6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Was looking forward to getting this boy in, hopefully still goes through. Don't think it's anything to do with the fees as our bid had already been accepted, which says to me his agent has spoken to Middlesbrough and wrangled a much bigger wage. If that's the boys ambition fair *, Ange will be the first to tell him to batter in.

Big Shoes and Maestro 08 like this.
  7. john2061

With three weeks to go to the transfer window closes still plenty of time to get deals done and wouldn't look at the rumours too seriously until something concrete comes out .
    If the guy has ambition to play at a high level like champions League football or in Europe and win trophies then he will choose Celtic but if he's only chasing the money and no chance to play in Europe or win trophies then Middlesbrough it is then .

Big Shoes likes this.
  8. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    I thought the media we're getting too carried away with this one. They were talking like the deal was signed, but the club hadn't announced anything.

Big Shoes likes this.
  9. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Though it seems like a small issue, signing him to compete with Rogic and then losing both for a couple of games every time Australia are playing could have been a problem. Let's move on and sign someone who won't be away for a few games a couple of times every season!

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Wouldn't be so quick to judge the lad if he does lump for Middlesborough over us.

Got to remember, he's played in the Championship already, with a team that came lower in the league last season. A chance to play for a team battling for promotion is a step up in that respect. It is also a step in to the EPL within 6 months if they make that promotion spot.

6months in the Championship, earn a better wage, to then play in the EPL and show your worth and maybe get a move up the ladder, or to mainland Europe.
    Or come to Celtic, where you will win trophies (hopefully) in a league that means very little to the vast majority of football fans/players around the world, stick it out for 2-3 years, but inevitably (most likely) need to then still step in to a lower half EPL club 3 years down the line.

For a career progression, it's a tough choice for sure.

11. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If he wants to go to Boro then let him get on with it. I live about 20mins from the joint and, on the whole, it is a horrible place populated with lots of horrible people(with a smattering of decent ones too). A dark and depressing town which is known locally as smog town or smogville. Choosing to go there instead of here is like choosing dark over light but if that's what he wants good luck to him.

James Mc, Big Shoes and StevieBhoooy! like this.
  12. StevieBhoooy!

No loss ….

Nothing great and if playing the money game over a chance with Celtic then he’s not for us.

Off to ‘The Smoggies’ he can go.

Big Shoes likes this.
  13. StevieBhoooy!

I remember way back - not sure if they’d do it now - the rivals (Sunderland and Saudi FC) fans would turn up at their ground in full hazmat suits and masks because the place had such a reputation for filthy air.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/7040127.gas-masks-get-boro-red-card/

0FF9C79F-59F4-4CA2-8BE0-7D29CD48596B.jpeg

James Mc, packybhoy and MickeyyMack like this.
  14. dmccourt95

If Middlesborough are offering him 14k a week then it’s at least double what we’d be offering so it’s expected that he’d choose them

15. borobob

Fav Celtic Player:
    Juninho
    If he signs for the Boro it is all about ambition.
    Take away the big 2 it's basically a non league division.
    He will hopefully be playing premiership football next year .

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

SHOOT - BOROBOB

17. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Depends what you define as ambition.

Middlesborough is an absolute * hole though. So from a 'I actually have to live there' perspective, I'd rather move to Hull. And that's saying something.

James Mc likes this.
  18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

:56: Ambition my *. Also if he joins Boro I very much doubt he'll be playing Prem football next season

19. Ghost_Jiggle

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/Champions Again
    Mind boggling how someone has equated ambition with chasing money. He has the opportunity to win trophies at celtic, be a part of a team trying to develop and improve in Europe. Signing for Middlesborough = Higher wage, high chance of not winning anything and becoming a player thats passed around championship clubs.

Saying the spfl is non league standard is the usual ignorant pish you see from English fans, I've watched countless games in the Premier league, championship and some in league 1 that were absolutely terrible and no different to the kind of games you see in our league. Take your tired, cliche * and get to *

Saying scottish football is non league standard is

James Mc, Big Shoes and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  20. borobob

Fav Celtic Player:
    Juninho
    Yeah all the Boro players live in Central Middlesbrough , just like all the Celtic players live in Bellshill.:bash:

Teesside is like most places, some beautiful areas and some *. I've lived in and around Glasgow, much of it is worse than Teesside. Some of it is also incredible and I really don't think any decision he makes based on the areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.