1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

He’s my number 2 CB until Julien is back. Hopefully he doesn’t go anywhere. Starfelt has been off it last few games.

martin_d and RogicHasMagicToes like this.
  2. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think he's a great prospect at 21. If he progresses he could easily become a regular starter for years to come

3. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Gets a lot of undue criticism. Improving all the time. Biggest positive impact to come out of the academy in last two years.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

4. northeast67

Very good

5. northeast67

Exactly

Dan Breen likes this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not sure if you were being tongue in cheek here but we're already thin on the ground at CB as it is.

Julien has been out the game a full year and could come back as anything.

Starfelt for me has still been unconvincing, some of his performances before we stopped for the break there were abysmal.

Murray looks a good prospect but he's not ready yet to play in a potential title run-in for us. Same with Lawal too.

Welsh and CCV would be my 2 starting CBs at the moment, with hopefully a gradual return for Julien once he's fully upto speed.

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Should be ahead of Starfelt until Jullien returns, Ange needs to act on that decision first game back

martin_d, Dan Breen and Hammy89 like this.
  8. Heb Celt

Been so solid this last season and a half for a young CB,only going to get better.With Julien back I think it’s our strongest position.CCV>Julien>Welsh>Starfelt>Scales.

martin_d and Dan Breen like this.
  9. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Just like criticism of Welsh can be over the top the same could be said for starfelt. Ye he had a rocky start and a few moments in December but I defo see a player there too. I really think starfelt will come very good

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

martin_d likes this.
  10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    You would only punt him if silly money was on the table.

martin_d likes this.
  11. Maestro 08

Stats ain't everything but Sean put up a piece of analysis that had been done on Starfelt and he's just an accident waiting to happen. Makes for worrying reading and it certainly backs up what I've been watching of him so all in all I think the criticism is well founded.

12. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Starfelt isn't good enough for Celtic, not saying Welsh is the answer yet but he will definitely get better and is a safer bet than starfelt who is technically lacking in every department.

Hammy89 and gazb1888 like this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Was being fairly serious.

I'd only do it though, of course, on the basis that Julien is back and ready to go. If he isn't back to match fitness yet, or looks off the pace, then of course not.

But with Julien and CCV the ideal partnership, along with Starfelt and promoting Lawal/Murray, I'd be content enough to let Welsh get that experience of playing 20 solid games to the end of the season in Italy.
    It would not be to sell him though, but to actually help his development. As with Julien back, I would fear he becomes 4th choice and may only see 5 or 6 full games with us til the end of the season now.

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Must admit, I think he lacks something I can't quite put my finger on, be that be presence or something.. But he is still young for a CB..

I also think he's looked really on it the last few games and that's what you look for in a player especially a young one, improvement..

The partnership is probably CCV/Jullien (if he gets back to fitness) but for me it's then Welsh but Sarfelt has set the bar low in that respect.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Julien coming back is going to be a gradual process, there's no way we're going to chuck him in for 2 games a week for 4 months.

It's a bonus he's back in contention but given he's never played in Ange's system yet I think it would be a massive risk to bank on both him staying fit and gelling immediately.

I think if Lawal was on the verge of being ready then we'd have at least seen him make some benches by now.

For me Welsh would be our starting CB for at least the next 5 games (upto and including v the Huns) with some sub appearances to gradually build Julien up and see how he's looking in the team. I think it would be insanity to loan Welsh out in this window.

16. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I feel nowhere near as nervous with Welsh over Starfelt at CB

Mickmac, martin_d and Liam Scales like this.
  17. celticdaft238

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Reading in some places that Italian media outlets are reporting that Celtic are starting the bidding for Welsh at £1.6 million….that must be nonsense!

martin_d, Damnati and Liam Scales like this.
  18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I agree with the first part.

I don't know what it is either. But I forget he's 21...would keep for now.

JC Anton likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

https://messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it...fesa-e-anche-sema-potrebbe-tornare-1.41106730

The central defender Udinese is looking for could come from Scotland to replace the Brazilian Samir , who flew to London on the “Befana broom” on the day of the Epiphany, to reinforce the defense of Ranieri's Watford. Also up there in London, but in Gino Pozzo's office, some phone calls for Glasgow and more precisely in the Celtic headquarters.

It is the owner club of Stephen Welsh, a young shoot that will turn 22 on January 19th, and that the Bhoys have practically raised, except for a brief loan at Greenock Morton two years ago, and of which they are now beginning to reap the benefits. Because the blond central defender (used to playing with the four-man line), with a right foot and a height of almost 190 centimeters, entered the defensive rotations of the Celtic coached by Postecocglu. In particular, of the 41 games already played in the first team, there have been three in the recent Europa League that have already given important answers, with a goal also scored in the 3-2 against Betis Sevilla, in the latest assault on qualification. Important structure, good sprint and discreet foot, Welsh is the prototype of the British defender strong on high balls, tedious and clean in hard and loyal interventions. Udinese like it, but the Scottish Under 21 team is valued at two million euros by Celtic. Yesterday the Juventus club moved decisively asking if there is room for a possible negotiation, a sign that the player likes it. In addition to Welsh, the name of the 29-year-old was compared to Udinese yesterdayArmando Izzo , leaving the Toro. Izzo's problem is the mega salary (3 million) which for Udinese seems decidedly too high. And then Izzo would prefer to go to his old coach Mazzarri, in Cagliari.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  20. jambo_cfc

I think defensively on the ground hes sound and hes ok in the air , just think he lacks height and doesnt have the presence of a commanding CB , also dont think you will ever see him pinging a ball over the top turning defence into attack quickly so probably doesnt suit anges quick transition tactics , CCv has a good range of passing which is why he suits it