1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Markybhoy, May 16, 2014.

Discuss The Tennis Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

To say it is squarely on the players I disagree with. If they have been informed that they have got an exemption to play in the tournament, then why would they not travel? This falls at the door of the Australians. Once they applied, how difficult would it have been to inform the necessary people of their reasons for the exemption? Instead of allowing people to fly into the country, have to put them up in hotels, and ultimately, just bring unwanted attention to yourselves. That’s what has happened. They better hope Djokovic doesn’t win his court hearing, or it leaves them with even more egg on their face. Not that I see that happening mind you.

2. murphy88

Australian Government have tried to delay the hearing by two days. Rejected by a judge overseeing the case. Why the need to delay?

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Have you ever travelled to a country like the US?

Would you assume you could do so if you were given an exception from a particular state in the US to play in a tennis tournament?

I think some people could make that mistake, but I’m shocked that an elite athlete like Djokovic alongside his team and frequent international travel were able to.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’m not surprised at all that Djokovic thought he’d be fine to enter the country. He has a total lack of ability to see anything from the perspective of others.

5. murphy88

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100746080

Voracova had been in the country for a month and even played in a warm up tournament in Melbourne.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  7. murphy88

What does that matter? It obviously wasn’t a good enough reason to be in the country. Hence why she has been deported. She managed to get into the country and stay for a month and compete though.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well that was the reason TA and the Victorian government granted an exemption, so that’s why she got in. And she’s nowhere near the profile of Djokovic so that’s why she was able to compete as she went unnoticed. Once their federal government decided to stop Djokovic getting in, they had to also remove any other players who had been given an exemption.

9. murphy88

Ahh, so she was treated differently to others? So does that mean Djokovic is actually getting rougher treatment that someone with less of a profile? Does that no go against your narrative?

Basically, the whole situation is a * show and makes Australia look incompetent?

10. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ban the * from leaving his own house and having access to the Internet. Gee us all peace.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Nope. She entered thinking she was within the rules and now she’s left because the government investigated and decided she didn’t meet their rules.
    Nope. His high profile just means it gets more attention. He’s free to return to his luxury home in Monaco whenever he pleases. His stay there will be temporary while he appeals his case. The asylum seekers that have been trapped in the Park Hotel for 8 years is much more concerning tbh.
    Not even close.
    The situation is a mess, but that’s due to a combination of TA trying to bend over backwards for Djokovic, and Djokovic’s refusal to get a vaccine. They created the mess. Djokovic’s social media posts boasting about his exemption prompted the public backlash, especially from Aussies. I’m not surprised at all the federal government stepped in and denied him entry on the back of that. Personally I’m looking forward to his hearing being out of the way so I can look forward to the actual tournament. With or without Djokovic there’s a lot of great players to watch, and with it being the first slam of the season, players are usually playing well due to being fresher having had a bit of a break. This side circus will drag on, but I can’t wait until it’s over so people can get back to talking about tennis.

Djokovic might face the same issues by the time Roland-Garros comes around too, as the French President has recently said he wants policies that will * off anti-vacation people.

Tim-Time 1888 and King of Kings like this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    That doesn’t address my post, in any way.

I’m shocked at his legal team here. They’ve courted the Australian Tennis Association and not the host nation government. He then tweeted about his status just before boarding the plane, and is now confused as to why he’s facing scrutiny.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think the more interesting issue at this stage is the authenticity of Novak’s covid infection claim.

If he was lying - i hope they throw the book at him.

If he was genuinely infected - he looks even worse given that he made numerous public appearances in the days that followed.

14. murphy88

She should not have been allowed to enter going by Australia’s rules on it though. That’s why Djokovic has been put into a hotel and why she is now back home. Due diligence was clearly not carried out.

Djokovic’s refusal to get the vaccine is only a problem for people who think someones vaccination status should matter. Macron’s comments the other day should act as a concern for everyone I would have thought. He clearly plans on discriminating against people who have decided against the vaccine. People’s liberties possibly taken away from them, and some people are actually wanting it to happen. I would be amazed if he is allowed to play at the French to be honest.

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Nobody is talking about that. "I had covid a month ago" yet hes been seen out and about loads during that time. Get the * locked up.

King of Kings likes this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree, but I don’t equate that to her being treated differently. Nor do I think that means Djokovic has had rough treatment. As far as I know he’s in a 4 star hotel. He has a very specific diet which means he doesn’t like the food there, and has been refused his personal chef. But despite the constant appeals to emotion and dramatic claims from his parents, his short stay in that hotel hardly constitutes anything more than an inconvenience.
    Well I’m not going to get into a discussion about vaccine status and its importance. I don’t care if Djokovic or anyone else doesn’t want to get a vaccine, but freedom of choice doesn’t mean freedom from consequences. His refusal to get a vaccine has directly been a problem for him, not just people who think vaccination status matters. His attempt at side stepping the issue (with the help of TA by the looks of it) has caused him potentially bigger problems. He may, under their rules, end up being banned from entering Australia for three years. He almost certainly won’t compete in this year’s Aussie Open. If he ends up banned, then he’s already won his last title there. He’ll still be among the favourites for Wimbledon and the US Open providing he stays injury free.

cidermaster likes this.
  17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    And that includes the country of Australia, unfortunately for Novak. It included the country of Australia when he boarded a flight there, and continued to do so when he arrived.

This really isn’t as big as - are Australia right to have the restrictions they have, because clearly it’s their right to have whatever restrictions they want. Personally, in a country that has take an ultra-strict approach to lockdown, any exception for someone based on their celebrity status is quite disgusting imo. But the overall point is simply that he didn’t meet the rules for entry.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    cidermaster and honda like this.
  19. murphy88

If he knows that Voracova’s exemption is based on the same reason as his, and he knows she is out there competing, then why would he think he wouldn’t be allowed to do the same?

20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

He really does look to be one selfish nasty wee * who thinks he knows best.

cidermaster likes this.