1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stew37

First 10 minutes yesterday he looked right in the mood, then after that, every decision he made seemed to be wrong. Harsh to completely single him out though, no-one really looked like breaking them down last night.

eire4 and Wee Baldy like this.
  2. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Oh, not writting the guy off, no fear. He is still a relatively young guy and has had to deal with some knocks nd stuff over the past few seaosns that no doubt have impeded hom from getting more game time and the experience that comes with it. And so long as he is learning and becomes a better player because of games like last nigiht, then in the long run it will do him, and hopefully us, good.

martin_d and Wee Baldy like this.
  3. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Turns 23 soon, definitely not a youngster/prospect.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

And he's played about 80 games for the club.

All well and good saying give him time but how much time does he need?

Pablo87 and rudebhoy67 like this.
  5. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Yes, apart from the first 20 mins or so, he had a poor game however, he wasn't the worst player for us last night. I thought young Moffat was the worst player and is way too lightweight however, those around him also didn't cover themselves in much glory. Last night's game just proved how much we need a few new faces in as we are lacking in squad depth and quality

Dan Breen and eire4 like this.
  6. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    Confidence is low, he needs a run in a "firing" team. We're not pumping anyone right now (Dundee Utd aside, that's like one walkover in 10).
    Don't get me wrong - you have to expect your front 3 to be blasting teams but evidently our others (Jota and Kyogo aside) are not playing great either but it's MJ getting it tight alone really.
    With his technical ability and confidence he'll be a good asset, good 2nd pick to have.

martin_d likes this.
  7. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Why do people use the confidence excuse? He's playing against diddys. If he can't cut it against St Mirren reserves he should shipped off to some league 1 team in England

Morcombe likes this.
  8. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    Confidence shouldn't be underestimated - look at Ralston. Ange hasn't changed a thing about his attributes, he's the same player Lennon had give or take a few months.
    Similar can be said of a few from NL's time.

9. fms06

Poor final ball decision making....talent is there but he is not bold enough.......needs confidence and quickly.....

10. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

There is no doubting he has skill but what is keeping him back is his descision making. He tries to shoot when there isn't really a shot on at goal, turns back when driving at defenders is the better option, looks to play the more difficult pass when a simple pass or cut back is on etc etc. This could be down to not understanding how Ange wants to play, Johnston just may not have it to adapt to the Ange way.

11. CountyDownFaithful

Said it before, we need to be ruthless to be successful. That means letting players go who aren’t good enough and I’d put Johnston in that bracket.

Is he talented? Yes.

But talent isn’t enough, you need to back it up with application and desire. Johnston isn’t doing that. Drifts in and out of games and his end product is terrible.

He may go onto forge a career elsewhere but we are trying to reclaim our title and he isn’t the level of player that we need to achieve that.

12. Damnati

I think it's unfortunate for him that he's going through this type of patch at a time where the team as a whole is also struggling through.

He is in desperate need of a goal and I'm sure he'd have it by now in a team that was fully firing. Hopefully he can get through it but the tide seems to have turned against him.

13. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

He’s the same age as Edouard and Jota.

he’s not a youth player anymore, that excuse ran out a long time ago.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Needs proper coaching. There were worse than him midweek, we did not function as a team, just we were clueless on how to break them down.
    Saying that, he is not young and has had plenty opportunities, clock is ticking bigtime.
    Bottom line, cannot rely on him.

15. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    He's like when someone brings their 15 year old wee bro to 5s and he just runs around trying to do Ronaldo skills he's learned off Youtube and giving the ball away.

Wee Baldy and honda like this.
  16. slievenamon

It’s time to demand more than this guy. Some of us are old enough to remember when the next wave of talent was real talent and even the younger supporters have Tierney as a benchmark. Paul McStay scored on his debut at Pittodrie (18), Charlie Nicholas scored twice in his first Huns game, (17 I think) and don’t even get me started on the Quality St kids. Johnston and others are just not good enough.

Morcombe and Moore like this.
  17. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He's possibly about 2 years behind in his development due to long term injuries. I think that would affect his decision making more than anything. Has shown in the past he has the ability but not the consistency. I'd say 23 is still quite young especially for him. I've seen plenty of players reach their potential later than 23 including some in our current team.
    I still think he just needs more time and experience and to be playing in a winning team who are playing with confidence and banging in a few goals to show what he can do and get his confidence up.
    Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me he nearly always plays when we're in a bit of a crisis and it must be harder to show what you can do when the whole team is struggling.

cas79 likes this.
  18. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    See when you say it like that, our Youth coming through dont look to good... :/

slievenamon and Morcombe like this.
  19. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    celtic used to thrive on their youth team, the quality street kids where an entire youth squad that defined Celtic for a decade.

yet in the last 2 decades we've not even been able to produce a full team of first team footballers. who have we had that became serious first team regulars?
    Maloney, Mcmanus, McGeady, Forrest, McGregor, Tierney. 6 players in 20 years, thats * abysmal. (You can argue for Ralston and Welsh if you wish but they're only hear because of injuries and lack of squad depth and I like them both but if Julien was fit Welsh wouldnt be getting a sniff of first team football)

Johnston cant lace McGeady or Forrests boots right now. Like said above, w eused to have youth players who made their debuts at 17-19 and made impacts, now they're approaching 23 and we're stilling trying to give them a free pass saying they need more time. bullshit, if they cant cut it for us at 21-22 then they never will.

Johnston has 6 months to prove he belongs here or he needs to go and our development system needs majorly overhauled, hopefully big Ange can sort that out.

slievenamon likes this.
  20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He ain’t good enough for this club