1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zealand to ban cigarettes

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 10, 2021.

Discuss New Zealand to ban cigarettes in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
  2. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

The Tea House in Larbert is best I've ever had think it's the same owners as the one in Bonnybridge.

3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Sorry missed this, been busy over the weekend.

I totally agree when you say one of a governments jobs id to protect its citizens, its probably THE job tbh, however I still believe that a Government should interfere as little as practicably possible* when it comes to allowing its citizens to make choices. We all know that smoking isn't good for you, so the governments tactic should just be to continue what we are doing and educate/tax it accordingly. I'd use alcohol for a comparison - we all know that alcohol causes as much (? or more even) misery and serious health problems also, but the prospect of government making that illegal is nil in my opinion. Yet what would you say if a government decided to simply ban that next, citing its protecting its citizens. Which it would be doing under the banner of protecting its citizens.
    Sometimes people need to be left to their own devices/trusted and these are a couple of examples, imo, of that Minty.
    Regarding alcohol - I've previously said that I was disappointed we didn't set the minimum price at about 75 pence, aiming for a pound a unit, when it was originally introduced but we will get there.

*Obviously there are times when they (Gov) may well have to legislate, restrict, or make things illegal/remove the choice from the individual.