1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

F1 Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Tulf, Jan 10, 2012.

Discuss F1 Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scootz

First appeal (MV nudging ahead of LH before the re-start) was a non-starter.

As for the second (only allowing the cars between LH and MV to pass the Safety Car)? The Stewards were never going to reverse the Race Directors 'in race' decision. This will go to Court...

2. Sin

One was that Max overtook Hamilton before the restart, that was thrown out first.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’ll go to court if Mercedes remain sore losers. The reality is no rule has been broken and the spirit within which the call was made is 100% correct.

It’s car racing - let the cars race. Hamilton was the one in front, the issue was he didn’t have the tyres to fend off a challenge but that’s neither Verstappen nor Red Bull’s fault.

Big els likes this.
  4. Sin

I guess that's another way to look at it.....

I guess another way is when 2 football teams have played for 90 minutes and 1 team is leading 1-0 from playing well, then the ref says, "Look some guy just injured himself so I'm going to call it 0-0 again and the other team gets a pen".

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Seen that analogy loads, misses the entire crux of the issue which is in car racing cars hit barriers and the safety car comes out. There is no equivalent in football. This is the way it’s been for literally decades and it’s something Hamilton has benefited from as well as lost out on.

It’s no one’s fault or by no one’s design that the crash happened and there were decisions to be made.

6. scootz

No ones saying a rule was 'broken'. We're saying that a rules wasn't applied properly. If the Race Director can just make up a new interpretation of a tried and tested rule, then F1 is no longer a 'sport'.

As for letting the cars race... absolutely - but let them do it fairly!

7. scootz

... the problem is that the decision that was made flew in the face of every Safety Car restart procedure that went before. This was unprecedented!

8. Sin

I do get the cars all coming together for safety reasons, I do get that, I can't get my head around allowing the cars between first and second to basically 'get out of the way', I will never understand that, it makes a mockery out of everything else in the race that came before it, they would have just as well had a 1 lap sprint at the start of the race, at least then it would have been a fair contest.

9. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Could not have happened to a Nicer Fella:56:

10. Heb Celt

Swings and roundabouts.How’s about Lewis pushing Max off at Silverstone into the barrier at 54G’s,or Max trying to go on inside at turn 1 and ending up on top of Lewis’s Merc in turn 1 at Monza.The stewards/FIA decisions evened themselves out over the season but Verstappen was the best driver over the duration.

Big els likes this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The analogy of the penalties would have to be "one team accepted the penalty, the other one decided not to take theirs"

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

12. Onefootwonder

That wasn't fair what happened to Hamilton and Mercedes. An impossible situation arose and then circumstances and rules were changed as they were going along.

The race was done prior to the accident. Hamilton was going to win fair and square. There was an accident and the rules are a safety car and cars bunch up. Ok that's the rules.

Hamilton couldn't pit like Verstappen. If Hamilton stopped then Verstappen would have driven past and if as originally predicted the race was to finish under the safety car Verstappen would have won. Hamilton couldn't stop for tyres. Verstappen had a no risk chance that the race might restart. He went for tyres.

It was originally ruled that backmarkers wouldn't get their lap back. That left Hamilton with enough of a buffer as Verstappen would struggle to get past the cars and still catch Hamilton.

Then they decided at the last second to let just the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen pass. The rule is all backmarkers get their lap back. They knew if they allowed all the cars to pass they wouldn't have the time to restart the race. I don't think altering the rules and going back on an earlier decision is fair.

The perfect storm of circumstances allowed Verstappen to get close to Hamilton. Rule bending/breaking allowed Verstappen to win.

From a purely sporting perspective what happened yesterday was anything but sporting.

13. Pacific Ocean Blue

I've seen this going around a lot and I don't really get it? First thing Hamilton did was congratulate the guy that won. Valentino Rossi had a similar personality to Hamilton and he was universally loved by Moto GP fans.

scootz likes this.
  14. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

100%. Let them race out the last laps with Hamilton given his 8 or 12 second lead back or deduct that time from Verstappen's finishing time. That was literally the only fair way to conclude the race.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You’re making up new rules on the spot to suit a single situation.

That’s not how it works.

Peej likes this.
  16. Sin

That's exactly what Michael Masi did! :56:

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He made a call, in real time, with the intention of keeping the spirit of motorsport at the forefront of it.

18. Sin

Well he * that right up didn't he!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  19. scootz

That's what Masi did. Plain and simple. He contrived an outcome that would deliver an 'exciting' ending.

20. scootz

... and made a complete and utter * of it! He contrived a situation that made it impossible for one team to compete.