1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He’s won * all yet, judgment is reserved. If he turns out good then he will be an anomaly. It’s common sense if you only play one way then every team will know exactly what they’re up against every week, it’s not rocket science.

2. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Well we did a great job of keeping it with the formation we had didn’t we…
    Also it was all about defending, a couple of extra defensive players and we’ve have had someone else is in position to stop that 3rd goal.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The formation wasn’t the issue, the drop in quality from Bitton, Jota, Kyogo and Forrest to McCarthy, MJ, Ajeti and Abada was.

The squad depth is nowhere near the level to be going to Leverkusen and expecting anything - albeit we almost managed it.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  4. Pearse67*

We should have lost, and lost quite heavily based on chances.

A world class goalkeeping performance, the posts and some dodgy misses made the scoreline what it was.

Artorias and Paradise88 like this.
  5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Yeah there are positives to take from the game no question about that, but it's the bigger picture we have to look at here, we've conceded the most goals in the Europa, we still cannot defend set pieces, it's really frustrating watching us concede the same types of goals over and over.

Anything from Europe was always gonna be a bonus given our transitional state of affairs, need more quality signings in the door come January.

DJ CJ and Sean Daleer like this.
  6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Yeah clearly we have had unbridled success in Europe away from home switching up our approach. The difference between home wins and away wins prove this.

Wasn’t that long ago you and others were lamenting our demise when he got signed and our domestic challenge was in the bin. Now it’s losing narrowly away to a top Bundesliga side.

I’m sure there will be be more goalposts you can shift in the near future.

AussieGreek likes this.
  7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Can’t disagree with any of that. All about the league challenge this season mate. I hope the manager and players are gutted about that tonight but also determined to put it right in the league at the weekend.

The Prof likes this.
  8. Sgt Neppers*

It's obvious he needs to have a few more quality additions to the squad, all over the pitch in January to bolster the squad. But Ange is gonna have to find a way to get the front 3 available for 90mins. We can't be great whilst they're on the park then go missing once the subs are on. I get looking after Kyogo as he's had no break currently, but long term needs to be improved on. * having Ajeti on against the huns after 60mins.

9. Damnati

To be honest, I enjoyed that game. Give me having a go rather than being soundly beat two nil against teams that clearly have more talent.

I'm fully invested in the Ange philosophy and I'm excited to see what we can do next season with more depth.

Sean Daleer and NomDePlum like this.
  10. john2061

Is that the second year in a row we are the team that has conceded the most goals and again someone needs to ask Ang who does the defence tactics or does Kennedy and company do it anyway they need to get to * out the club as they are * useless as fed up every time a cross ball comes into the box we lose goals .

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We need additions to the squad. You know it I know it. Ange knows it.

The time for post mortems is not after a game when we we took the game to a top German side.

We were really good tonight in spells.

Take that into league duty and conference league knockouts and this could be an interesting season.

What brainiac thought calling the third Euro competition the ‘conference’ was a good idea? Idiot.

Damnati and Tommy25 like this.
  12. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    If honest, I am not concerned re conference league and the next game resting players.

This is a side in transition, in a domestic league with no money.

Give the manager time - the end game is the league this season, and the prize with it. Rangers are putting literally all financial eggs in to winning it. They will push the boat out supporting their new manager in January. No way he arrives with no promises.

Ange has a sole focus - like it or not, this is reality - winning the league.

It’s all I will judge him on in season 1, alongside signs of progression in Europe in terms of being able to genuinely compete. By that I mean not being * dreadful.

im ok to date with where we are in that regard.

Win the league this season, and if it gets CL football and the money, it’s the game right there. Without it, rangers are financially gone. With it, we are light years ahead.

The club are focussed on this - let’s support them in that.

Rydo1888*, Damnati, Tommy25 and 3 others like this.
  13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

5 Europa League away games under Ange. 13 scored, 13 conceded. 5.2 goals per game. Exciting stuff :giggle1:

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

* up.

NomDePlum and Tommy25 like this.
  15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    You need to stagger those subs coming on , not all at once. In this way you disrupt the momentum of the home team in the last minutes, run down the clock and maintain that 2-2 result till the whistle.

16. grazor

This is why it takes a year for Ange to implement his system

possession based football can be used to shut another team out of the game when you are ahead. A year from now you will be winning games at the end rather than losing them

it hurts now though no doubt

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You don’t change a third of your team with 10 minutes to go. That doesn’t take a year. I love Ange but you don’t drastically alter your team and shape when defending a lead.

NomDePlum likes this.
  18. FairDinkumMate

Fairly condescending to Ange ..and it happens on here a bit…assumption Ange does not have basic understanding of football.

19. Mr Cleansheets

You'd prefer pre mortems?

NomDePlum and Sean Daleer like this.
  20. MAP

Your credibility went out the window once you mentioned Soro coming on ...