1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

I agree. He will only improve with game time and experience. He was a shining light last season when he was needed.

2. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He's alright. Hopefully can develop further under Ange, who was a defender himself in his playing days.

Definitely wouldn't want him loaned him out this season though as I think we will need him.

packybhoy likes this.
  3. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  4. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Limped off not good

5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Classic Celtic luck.

6. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Is Starfelt not due back anyway ? Jullien not far either is he ?

7. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Typical

8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Limped off away to Ferencvaros as well and then played against Dundee. Hopefully he's ok

Dan Breen likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC starlet Stephen Welsh insists St Johnstone were 'unstoppable' in the Cups last season, but is adamant they can finally end their domestic trophy stranglehold at Hampden on Saturday.

The Perth Saints famously won both trophies last season as Callum Davidson's side lifted both the League Cup and Scottish Cup in what was regarded as an incredible achievement.

They're at it again this season with the McDiarmid Park side booking their place in the last four of the Premier Sports Cup where they will face a resurgent Celtic under the management of Ange Postecoglou, with the Australian going all out to win his first trophy for the Parkhead side at the first time of asking.

Scotland Under 21s captain Welsh shrugged off an injury knock when he limped off towards the end of Scot Gemmill's side's 2-0 Euro 2023 defeat to Belgium at Tannadice on Tuesday and the 21-year-old insists he will be available for the Hampden showdown.

And although the central defender is full of respect for St Johnstone's remarkable achievements last season, he believes their cup run will be ended this weekend, especially with the help of a Hampden Park which will crammed with Hoops fans having the vast majority of the stadium.

He said: "St Johnstone were excellent in the Cups last year - in fact they were almost unstoppable.

"So we know how tough a game it will be and how tough St Johnstone are to beat in the cup. They are a good side with really good players who are really well disciplined as well.

"But we've got some creative players in our team too as you have been seeing for the last few weeks. So we are going into this with confidence.

"We are on a good run just now before the international break and we want to continue that. It's a cup semi-final and a chance to get to the final so it's a massive game and I am sure everyone will be ready to go. Training will be the usual high-intensity and we are looking forward to the game. Hopefully, all our internationals will come back and we will prepare properly for it.

"I think every trophy, especially for us, is important. We didn't win one last season and that's the main aim - to get to a Cup Final. That's what we want to do at this club for the fans.

"We will have a great support at Hampden so we are really looking forward to it. Our support is the best. They always come in huge numbers and make a brilliant atmosphere. We are really looking forward to it. We need to use that to our advantage and hopefully, we can send them away to look forward to another cup final because that's the aim.

"Personally, I'm fine. It was a knock when their player had a shot and followed through on us, but I just came off as a precaution. I'll be fine for the weekend. You're always worried when you feel a bit of pain, but luckily it wasn't a twist or anything. It was just pure impact so I should be fine."

Welsh suffered disappointment as Scotland Under 21s' hopes of reaching the Euros took a potentially fatal blow following their loss to the runaway group leaders. And he admits they need to be aiming to win all of their four remaining games in the group, even though three of them are away to Kazakhstan, Belgium and Denmark.

He said: "Belgium are obviously a good team who will go really far, but I thought we were good in spells. It was just wee moments in the game that they were particularly good at and moments where we need to get better. That's the level that we need to get at if we want to go to the Euros.

"We need to go into the remaining matches and try and win them all. The games away from home will be very important especially against the teams who are around us. We'll be back in March with two big games against Turkey and Kazakhstan that we are really looking forward to and we believe in our game plan."

tarboltontim likes this.
  11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Glad it was just a knock if Starfelt is still out. Saves us shoehorning Bitton there or risking Jullien too soon.

12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Given how thin the squad has been this year having him available is a real plus.

Dan Breen and JML67 like this.
  13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yep, think he deserves the game time anyway but CCV and Starfelt were becoming a solid pairing in fairness.

Will be a bonus to have 4 good options to choose from when they're all fit.

Liam Scales and NomDePlum like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    He's turning into a decent player. Only thing I will say is that he's not the biggest for a centre half. But thats not too important if you can defend well. You dont need to be a collossus like Bobo Balde.

I still believe Julien will be our top centre half when he's fully fit and I'd like to sign Carter Vickers on a permanent deal but if Welsh hangs around and waits for his chance there's no reason he cant break into the first team. Look at Ralston. He was written off years ago and now look at him

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's no terrible, he just isn't anywhere near good enough for us..

Crilly likes this.
  17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Doesn’t make glaring howlers like an Efe or Duffy but the amount of key battles he loses at important times kills us.

Would far rather Murray gets a chance infront of him now.

HTG likes this.
  18. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He's an alright backup, but that's it. I hope Starfelt is fit for the weekend.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He let's ball's bounce alot. He's weak. Gets caught out of position or dragged out too often. His passing is isn't good enough..

Valhalla likes this.
  20. MusselburghBhoy Gimme danger, little stranger

Fav Celtic Player:
    Momo Sylla
    Really missing Starfelt and that’s not something I thought I’d say.

21. stew37

Thought he did well, always does what's asked of him.

Damnati likes this.
  22. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thought he did well. Him or CCV for our best defender tonight.

Damnati and stew37 like this.