1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski beat McGrory's record

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Drakhan, Apr 9, 2016.

Discuss Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski beat McGrory's record in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I used to watch the Madrid team with Ronaldo in thinking I was a fan of Madrid. When ronaldo left I watched 0 Madrid games and looked out for the juve games when I could. Now he’s at one of the teams I hate the most in united, I find myself enjoying watching them purely just for him. Feel blessed to have been able to witness his career and the numbers he’s achieved. Greatest for me

2. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    After tonight's hattrick Ronaldo only has another 33 goals to score to become top goalscorer ever in top flight and international competitive matches.

Edit: 28 more goals and Messi will be above Pele in the goalscoring list.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    The_Bhoy likes this.
  3. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I love both, but CR7 is a bit khunty in private. Heard 3 of his children were born through surrogacy. Also, he wants to have 7 children to match his shirt number — barmy (and khunty). His girlfriend is stunning in every way, though, especially figure wise. A genuine 10/10.

4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Weird him having kids through surrogacy makes him a * and no the rape…

Cena likes this.
  5. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fair point. I’d actually forgotten about that case. You hear so much about rape these days — sexual offending seems to have been a veritable political hot potato for the last 15 years or so — that it’s become almost normalised, almost to the extent where one almost allows oneself to become desensitised to it. However, we can never allow ourselves to become indifferent to it. It’s good that the laws pertaining to rape are being reformed globally so that the individuals affected are more comfortable and the legal process is less of an ordeal.

As for the Myargo vs Ronaldo case itself, well, it seems to be shrouded in mystery and generally ambiguous and evasive (surprise, surprise). The victim here doesn’t seem like an unbalanced troublemaker, and, in fact, Ronaldo seems to have (very subtly) admitted to raping her as per the now infamous der spiegel news report. Hardly surprising she was coerced into signing that confidentiality agreement and coerced into accepting that out-of-court settlement (aka hush money) back in 2010. However, Ronaldo’s lawyer has said that his firm, along with many other law firms, was hacked by a cyber criminal and the data the criminal obtained was subsequently altered and attempted to be sold. Ronaldo’s lawyer said that the statement about Ronaldo admitting rape was a ‘fabrication’. I know who I believe. Still, I think Ronaldo deserves a second chance if he did it, and hopefully finds some way to reconcile with the woman.

6. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Messi needs another 26 goals to become the top South American goal scorer ever.

7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Who’s in front of him?

8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Pele. He is also 15 goals ahead of another Brazilian, Romario

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just remember that the ONLY goals that count are TOP DIVISION competitive goals (non friendlies) plus International (non friendly) goals.

10. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    It's worthwhile pointing out that Jimmy managed to score his goals with one of those old fashioned lace up bladders that weighed a ton when wet (I'm sure the older members on here will remember them) and not the lightweight ones of today which can swirl and bend in the air. It's also worthwhile remembering that skilful ball players back then (especially Celtic players) got absolutely no protection from the refs and defenders got away with practically any type of tackle (especially and, not surprisingly, hun players). I'm not saying Ronaldo and Messi aren't brilliant and I know the games a lot faster today but I can't imagine the two of them scoring as many goals back then.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’m sorry but this is a load of absolute *.

12. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Each to our own m8. That's what a forum is all about. I take it you have never ever kicked one of the old lace up leather balls they used back then?

13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

So you think Jimmy McGrory would score even more goals now than he did then? More than Ronaldo and Messi?

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Messi and Ronaldo are playing at the highest level football has ever been played. They’re also doing it against the greatest athletes the game has ever seen.

The idea they wouldn’t be able to score as much against guys coming out of shipyards or mines who smoke 60 a day and drink every day is honestly insane. It’s one of the most mental opinions I’ve read on here and that’s an achievement.

I know people want to be protective of the club/ex players but * me.

You think players from 100 years ago would survive in professional football these days never mind have it easier than the two greatest players ever?

honda likes this.
  15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Crazy mate.

16. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    * sake no I am not saying Jimmy would score more goals that those two - I am saying the both of them would have problems scoring the same amount of goals IF they were using those old leather laced balls - * me can you imagine Ronaldo trying to lift one of them on rain sodden pitch in the winter months. We are talking about different times however, I was emphasising that Jimmy's goal scoring record was up there with the best of them.

17. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    No I am not saying that players from 100 years ago would survive in professional football today but what I am saying that today's players, although professional athletes in comparison to the players of old, would have trouble dealing with those old ton weight balls, football strips which, when wet, also weighed a ton and football boots where you had to physically hammer the studs in yourself. If you were to place Lewis Hamilton in a 1950's Alfa or Ferrari racing car do you honestly think he would still be able to drive over 200 mph?

18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mate I genuinely don’t think you realise how absolutely mental you’re sounding.

The idea that Messi and Ronaldo wouldn’t score as many 100 years ago because of * like a wet football strip…

The Hamilton comparison doesn’t work because in football the players are the cars. It’s like saying Hamilton wouldn’t get around the tracks faster 100 years ago because the lighting wasn’t as good or the roads weren’t as smooth. His car would be so much faster that it wouldn’t matter.

Please sit and think about it :giggle1:

19. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Right, I'm just going to paste a small section from a historical piece about football when the player kits and the ball was different to the sleek body hugging waterproof kits you see today and that's me finished - honest

"Although the basic design was universally accepted, it was far from perfect, thanks to leather's natural properties. The panels stretched over time, leading to balls losing their shape, and also absorbed water, meaning they gained weight in rainy conditions. Heading a wet leather football was a painful experience, while long passes also became much more difficult.

Given the combination of heavy leather footballs, chunky boots and muddy pitches, it is remarkable that English football produced talents such as Stanley Matthews, Bobby Charlton, * Shackleton and Jimmy Greaves."

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Use your brain man.

They’re talking about producing quality players for that time period.

If you put Bobby Charlton in his prime into a top level match in today’s game he’d be absolutely miles out of his depth.

It doesn’t make him any less of a football great. It’s just that the sport has moved on so much that it’s almost a different sport.

Even games from 20/30 years ago are miles behind the game just now never mind games from 100 years ago.