1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Works for me..

AussieGreek and Hammy89 like this.
  2. Mr Cleansheets

Definitely. Although the media interest is more in Ange than the club.

But all my mates are now heavily invested in Celtic. We all have clubs we follow in Australia and England but whenever we get together these days most of the discussion is about the Hoops and the level of knowledge acquired already is impressive. People worried about whether Rogic or Kyogo are fit... or whether Abada will regain his early season form... will the board back Ange in January... how far will the huns fall now Slippy's away... interest in club history etc

I've long been a Celt myself but I'll be interested to see if the interest remains after Ange eventually moves on. I'd say most would have to retain some interest post-Ange.

Of course, there are many, many thousands of Scots here who live and breathe Celtic in any case. The green and white has always been visible in Oz.

3. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Spare a thought for the poor 11 year old teammate who must have been thinking, "what the * is an inverted fullback?"
    :ange2:

4. Mr Cleansheets

To be fair, most 11 yos back then would have been thinking: What the *'s a fullback? Can I play striker?

5. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I was sceptical after the Howe fiasco and also the fact we didn't have a clue who he was but * me, I love this * and I was so wrong.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IF the Celtic AGM was a popularity contest, there was only one winner.

As chairman Ian Bankier introduced the top table, the stony silence was momentarily broken by some polite applause for Celtic women’s team manager Fran Alonso, before a rapturous reception for manager Ange Postecoglou blew the tumbleweeds away from the front of the stage.

A penny for the thoughts of Postecoglou as the men either side of him were filleted by the assembled shareholders on all manner of topics. The Celtic manager remains perhaps the one man who can achieve some kind of unity at a club still fractured by the trauma of last season and the off-field mis-steps some of those on high seem determined to take.

Indeed, Postecoglou struck a harmonious tone when asked for his own thoughts on what took place on Wednesday afternoon, while also making clear that he is much more interested on matters pertaining to the place where he himself is judged; on the field of play.

“It was an AGM,” Postecoglou said. “It was people who are passionate about their football club, expressing their views and ultimately leaving the room still part of the Celtic family. Nothing extraordinary.

“I’m a football manager, mate, my AGM and my boardrooms are the training pitch and every match day.

“The people in charge got some feedback the other day – I get that on a weekly basis. That’s okay.

Did I get an easy ride at the AGM? Well, if I get it wrong on Saturday, who do you reckon will get the easy ride?!

“Like I said, we all have different AGM's, mine is every match day. That’s where I’m held accountable and rightly so.”

The verdict in that sphere, at least, appears to be overwhelmingly favourable so far. But Postecoglou does have his thoughts, and considerable influence, on matters off the field too. Most notably in relation to the structure of the football department, and ultimately, the direction in which the club will look to travel.

“From my perspective, I think I was brought in to kind of look ahead and bring my own sort of expertise and views to what we are trying to create,” he said.

“I said from the start that my first task was to assess what was here and what we needed to improve. I think my actions probably speak than louder than any words.

“We are slowly building something here. We’ve had to change the playing squad a fair bit. Some because of just natural progression, others because we needed to bring in some different types of players.

“Staff-wise I’ve got the same staff as last year but I’m adding to it, adding good people to it, which we will continue to do. That’s where I lay my marker down.

“I was brought in to look ahead and that’s what I’m doing. I think we have made some progress but we also know there is plenty to be done to get to where we want to.”

One of the first places Postecoglou wants to take Celtic is back into the winner’s enclosure, and he can take a huge step towards doing that at the first opportunity if he can see off St Johnstone at Hampden tomorrow.

The competition may be the least desirable of the three domestic cups on offer, but there is no disguising the importance of the League Cup to Celtic, and Postecoglou won’t be looking for excuses if his men fail to reach the final and ultimately lift the trophy.

“It is a priority because it’s always a priority for this football club,” he said.

“When you join this football club, in whatever capacity you come in, success is expected and standards of play and results are expected.

“Every competition we are in is a priority. I’m not discounting anything just because I happen to be new in the door and I’m not giving that allowance to the players who are new to it either.

“We are all here for one thing and that’s to bring silverware to this football club because that is the expectation. We still have to get through a semi-final before we start thinking about and that’s where the focus is.

“Saturday will be a massive challenge for us but what a brilliant opportunity to get to that final stage. That’s where our focus is and that will always be our focus irrespective of the competition. The priorities don’t change for this football club.

“It’s a good challenge and a good opportunity for us. We obviously had a challenging start to the season but we’ve hung in there in Europe, and in the league and cup domestically.

“That’s given us this opportunity and it’s going to be a good challenge up against the holders and a team that did really well in both cup competitions last year.

“For us, it’s a chance to take advantage of the work that’s got us here. We’re in good form and with such a big game to start this next block of games, it’s a chance for us to kick on.

“It’s a tough game but we know we are in good shape.”

ANGE POSTECOGLOU is ignoring the furore caused by chairman Ian Bankier’s comments on referees, with the Celtic manager urging his players to focus on what they can control.

The Celtic chairman admitted that the refereeing displays of Bobby Madden and Nick Walsh in matches involving his club were a concern to him during Wednesday’s eventful AGM, and said that the club were making representations to the SFA over the standard of officiating.

But Postecoglou, speaking ahead of his side’s League Cup semi-final against St Johnstone at Hampden tomorrow, has told his men they have to overcome any decisions they feel have gone against them.

My focus is on the way we play our football and making sure we encourage this group of players to build a team that’s resilient to withstand any challenges that are put before us,” Postecoglou said.

“My view on referees has been consistent since day one.

“No one has heard me mention a referee after a game. If I feel the need, or there’s something to be said, then I’ll always protect the interests of this football club.

“Right now our focus is on playing our football and overcoming the challenge before us in St Johnstone.”

Postecoglou is pessimistic about the chances of injured pair Carl Starfelt and Tom Rogic making tomorrow’s game, while striker Giorgos Giakoumakis will definitely be ruled out.

“Giakoumakis picked up a knock in the Dundee game,” he said. “He played on but he didn’t feel right after the game so we got it checked out. It’s nothing serious but it will keep him out for a couple of weeks.

“Everyone else is okay. The international boys all came through unscathed, so they’re all good.

“Carl and Tom are touch and go. They’ll train tomorrow but they are more unlikely than likely right now

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  7. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This man blows me away. Honestly cannot believe how lucky we are to have him as the leader of our football club.

The big Viduka and Rydo1888* like this.
  8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sounds like he’s basically being our DOF as well now.

Don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing overall…

9. Samurai Bhoy

I’ve noticed a similar trend here in Japan, a lot of Japanese people who knew * all about Celtic before, are coming up to me and asking me about the club, or wanting to talk about our recent matches.
    Some even get up a 4am to watch the European games.

I heard there was a big Celtic buzz here during the Nakamura days but that died down after he left, now the younger generation are kicking off a new wave of interest.
    Hopefully the link with Ange and the Japanese players continues for a long time.

Twisty, Ghost_Jiggle and kramer1 like this.
  10. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    I don't thinks so. MSM is absolute garbage here

11. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
  12. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    :56::56:

kinglenny likes this.
  13. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Love listening to his press conferences.

:84:

Rydo1888* and MickeyyMack like this.
  14. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Top answer from ange , love the bluntness & Directness.

kinglenny likes this.
  15. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Some of those journos have such quivery voices asking ange questions.....plus mainly stupid questions being asked.
    Amazing at handling the media...had their number since day 1

The big Viduka likes this.
  16. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    More Celtic games are also being played live on the local pay TV provider, Kayo. Think there’s only been one or two games that I’ve needed to resort to other means to watch.

17. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    :56:* me :56: It’s spelt bonza, it’s bonza mate :giggle1:

kinglenny likes this.
  18. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Listening to this again absolutely love the don.

Rydo1888* and Dr Venkman like this.
  20. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Missed your original post of this. Great listen.