1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Bertie Auld

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by leeso-ardoyne, Nov 14, 2021.

Discuss RIP Bertie Auld in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Ghirl Friday

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, Let the People Sing
    RIP Bertie you will be so sadly missed :rip_1:

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou never got the chance to meet Bertie Auld, but the Celtic manager has always been well aware of the place that Bertie and his team-mates occupy in Celtic's history.

Jock Stein’s legendary team were known around the world, and their exploits in winning the European Cup in 1967 made a lasting impression on the manager’s dad, who passed his love of the beautiful game and those teams and players who played it in a certain style on to his son.

And as the tributes have poured in for the Celtic legend following his sad passing, Ange Postecoglou told Celtic TV that those tributes show the stature of Bertie as a man and the special affection with which he was held by supporters.

“When you hear the stories of what he was like, not just as a player but as a person, you understand why this club is so special because of people like that who’ve been through its doors and their legacy lasts well beyond their playing career.

We’re fortunate that we’ve got John Clark who’s around the building. I had a good chat with him today about it, and he was quite emotional speaking about Bertie.

“And, again, it just hits you the responsibility you have representing this football club because there are some real giants as men who have represented it and graced this shirt and this football club.

“It’s sad, and condolences to the family, but there’s no doubt that in 50 years’ time, people will still be talking about Bertie.”

KRS-1888 and leeso-ardoyne like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Ye want a roll with it?

Brilliant!

JC Anton likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Celtic Family is mourning the death of Bertie Auld, a legend of the club for his many achievements in the green and white Hoops, and adored by everyone for the passion and love that he always showed for Celtic.

Supporters who wish to pay their respects to Bertie can do so by submitting a message on the official club website using the form below.

Join us in celebrating his life by sharing your thoughts, memories and stories.

Messages can be submitted either individually, or as a representative of an organisation and will be displayed on our Bertie Auld Online Book of Remembrance.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You want a roll wae it :giggle1:

9. JamesM09

Poor Bertie man. Struggling to get him out my head. He was just so buzzing to be at Celtic park every time. Constantly looking forward to going, absolutely loved the place like the rest of us.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Buster

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Who’s Willie haughey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He was on the board with Wee McCann.. Was big pals with Jinky..

Big els likes this.
  15. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

He owns half of Hamden park

16. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    About 3 years ago, I was in a wee traffic jam near the Briggat in Glasgow. A car drew up next to me and Bertie was in the passenger seat. I looked over, realised who it was and gave him a wee thumbs up. He rolled his window down, asked me to roll my window down and asked ME how I was. He then went on to tell me how being a Celtic supporter was the best thing possible. It was near the end of Brendans time here, and he was moaning about the fact the team wasn't entertaining enough. We finally got moving and he said to me to watch myself and be careful on the way home. He made me feel like the most important person on the planet in that moment.

Drakhan, KRS-1888, Dr Venkman and 7 others like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Celtic players will all wear the No.10 on their shorts at this Saturday’s League Cup semi-final against St Johnstone at Hampden in tribute to Bertie Auld.

The Lisbon Lion sadly passed away last weekend at the age of 83, and supporters have been leaving their own tributes outside the front of Celtic Park in memory of the Celtic legend. And on Tuesday, manager, Ange Postecoglou, captain, Callum McGregor and acting Chief Executive, Michael Nicholson, laid a wreath on behalf of the club.

Now, with the Hoops aiming to beat St Johnstone and book their place in the final, the Celtic squad will pay a further tribute to Bertie by wearing the No.10 shorts he was synonymous with, at a packed National Stadium, the majority of whom will be wearing green and white.

Celtic and St Johnstone have actually met once in a League Cup final. That came back in October 1969, and Jock Stein’s side won the game and lifted the trophy thanks to Bertie Auld scoring the only goal of the game after just two minutes.

Supporters can also leave their own tributes to Bertie in an online Book of Remembrance on the club’s official website.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic Football Club today confirmed that there will a minute’s applause prior to kick-off in our League Cup semi-final against St Johnstone at Hampden this Saturday, November 20 in honour of Celtic legend, Bertie Auld, who sadly passed away earlier this week.

As the Club has already announced, Celtic players will also proudly wear the famous No.10 on their shorts at the game in honour of Bertie.

CELTIC v ABERDEEN
    November 28, 2021
    At next weekend’s match at Celtic Park against Aberdeen, all season ticket holders will also have the chance to pay their respects to one of the Club’s true legends. Paradise, the place Bertie loved so much will see a further tribute to a man we in turn all loved so dearly.

The Club will ensure that Celtic Park pays a fitting tribute, with season ticket holders given the chance to once again remember and honour Bertie and all he did for Celtic.

Further details will be announced shortly.

FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS
    Bertie Auld’s funeral will take place at 12noon next Friday, November 26, 2021 in St Mary of the Assumption, Abercromby Street, Calton, Glasgow.

Following the service, the funeral cortege will pass by Celtic Park and down The Celtic Way at approximately 1.30pm.

The club will broadcast Bertie’s funeral live on Celtic TV and the Club's YouTube channel for fans who wish to watch the service remotely.

For those coming to Celtic Park to pay tribute to Bertie, we are also working on installing a big screen on the Celtic Way so that supporters at the stadium can also watch the service.

19. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    R.I.P, Bertie. Legend and smashing guy.

20. Dr Venkman

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    What a player, what a man!

Bertie :shamrock: