1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Whatever happens under his watch and I do believe now it will be a success, his greatest strength is he is just a thoroughly good decent man oozing respect for where he is, the clubs history and what he wants to do.

I loved having Rodgers as Celtic manager but I always knew deep down he was a creepy *, Ange as a human is just top class level.

HTG, Liam Scales, Doogs. and 4 others like this.
  2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I never knew @Peej had backstage access

Pablo87, packybhoy and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Rodgers duped me mate. I’m not too proud to admit it. He played the boyhood fan card though and I lapped it up. It was hollow in the end.

The difference with Ange is, he doesn’t have a dog in the race. He’s not pretending to be something he isn’t. He is just doing his job and absorbing the history as he goes. You get the honest impression he is falling in love with the club, and why not? It’s a beautiful history.

Liam Scales, NomDePlum, Wllm and 3 others like this.
  4. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Spot on bud!

Sean Daleer likes this.
  5. Mr Cleansheets

I do believe him when he talks about his introduction to Celtic culture as a player and coach in his South Melbourne days. They had a few Scots in the team and never stopped trying to convert everyone around them.

That's not to suggest he was already a fan, but he very likely had a respect for the club a good 30 years ago. Mind you, plenty of people around the world do, but Celtic is genuinely a pretty big club in Australia as far as support goes. Celts would pack any ground here if the Bhoys visited - especially if Ange were still in charge. The club would be mad not to be considering such a tour for pre-season.

Games against his old clubs (Brisbane and Melbourne Victory) would be utterly mobbed and the merch!!!

I just checked the stats - 8.7% of Australians (well over 2 mill) have Scottish ancestry, and that's not even counting the (similar) Irish lot who are also Celts.

Another interesting stat - Melbourne, where Ange grew up, is claimed to be the third biggest Greek population in the world after Athens and Thessalonika.

6. AussieGreek

Not claimed, confirmed to be. I would also bet that my relatives in Sydney and Adelaide would also try get tickets to a Celtic game in hypothetically Melbourne and/or Brisbane.

Would be an easy cash grab for Celtic when 90,000+ Aussies pack out stadiums in friendly games.

thefutebollover likes this.
  7. Mr Cleansheets

The stat is disputed in a few places. Including by the Greek consulate in Oz.

8. MAP

Yep. I mentioned this before, one only has to look at how LFC were received when they played Victory to imagine how it might look. By pure coincidence, Rodgers was coaching LFC, and Ange Victory. Rodgers had nice things to say about, Victory, stating:

"Melbourne Victory is a very good side, I've got to say that their coach is outstanding," Rodgers said.

I've had a couple of chats with him and to see his team play, he's very similar to myself and he believes the game should be played in a certain way.

You can see the team is very well coached, so we knew it was going to be a tough game for us
    ."

You can check the rendition of YNWA from the game on Youtube; pretty awesome for being on the other side of the world.

9. Mr Cleansheets

Liverpool are probably the best supported Euro side in Oz, followed by Man U.

Celtic would probably be in the next few with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona and Juventus.

10. kcbworth

I absolutely love this fun fact :)

Moore and thefutebollover like this.
  11. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    What a guy , class as per from the big yin

12. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I don’t mean to denigrate the support for Liverpool and other PL sides but a lot of that is very ‘new wave’ and stems from those clubs being on every sports broadcaster across the world, whereas our support out there (as well as that of Sevco admittedly) is a lot more deep rooted and tied to the Scottish/Irish diaspora there. It doesn’t make it any better but I just mean that there were Celtic fans in Oz long before there was any large contingent of PL fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Him, 12 years old, coaching his own u12 team to win the local league is just one hilarous thing :giggle1: What a legend he already is, really hope he'll become a Celtic legend too in the coming years! We supporters just have to make sure the board backs him adequately!

14. Dr Venkman

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    After some early doubts, I'm convinced Ange will lead us to the title! Our football is a joy to watch again, getting better with each game, and I can see us heavily thumping some teams this season. Plus, Ange seems like a really good guy, and that goes a long way for me.

15. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    What is this "planning ahead" of which he speaks? It is a new and frightening concept. Especially for our board.

The big Viduka and NomDePlum like this.
  16. AussieGreek

Not sure if that's correct. Do you have a link? According to the General Secretariat of Hellenes (Greeks) Abroad [a government agency], Melbourne is the third largest Greek city in the world https://greekcitytimes.com/2021/02/21/greek-diaspora-population/

17. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Do Celtic get more media coverage over there now?

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The more you listen to him the more you realise how determined he is to implement his vision..

I like the DoF football model, I think it offers better continuity but you get the feeling Ange wouldn't want anyone getting in his road.. :56:

Sean Daleer likes this.
  19. AussieGreek

I’ve mentioned this before. Ange probably wants to set up everything his way before a DoF is appointed and continues with the structure that he sets up to begin with.

JC Anton likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member