1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G40B

Wow, his stock really has risen since Gerrard’s departure.

Folk speaking about him using Celtic as a stepping stone to better things… what’s prompted this?

We’re four points off Sevco. Think people need to calm down; he’s still very much unproven.

2. Lewis Kerr

True but Lennon was a terrible manager, even then.

Slaw likes this.
  3. thefutebollover

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota and Kyogo
    I think everyone is saying if he is successful. Fingers crossed Celtic can lift a few titles on the next few years.

4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's really expected at a minimum. Regardless of who the manager is.

Successful at Celtic is at a minimum a run of league championships, and probably a cup a season. He will maybe attract outside interest if he can do that and do well in Europe.

Ange won't get the same treatment as Gerrard, or Rodgers for that matter from the EPL press. His WC pedigree and personality/style of play might help a bit but I doubt it.

All ifs and buts at the moment anyway given we are second. I'm sure he'll be focusing on that and not planning his exit just yet.

thefutebollover likes this.
  5. FairDinkumMate

With his background he would need a few years success here at Celtic before EPL clubs come calling. His lack of background already caused many to ask him to quit just a month ago

thefutebollover likes this.
  6. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Ange aint going nowhere he is on a mission at Celtic and good on him

Tommy25 and thefutebollover like this.
  7. AussieGreek

Let the guy win a quadruple treble before we start speculating where he’s off to next you mad *

8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    It's a good point and your probably right about the hubris of the English in that regard. Even more so because he is only an Aussie and what do they know about football as well as only managing Celtic in their mindset.

Slaw likes this.
  9. celtic20

Possibly, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't take one if offered. If he wins the league title and makes a bit of a splash in Europe then it could easily be attractive to some EPL clubs. Having the chance to be the first Australian to manage there would also be a huge thing for him. So I don't think his commitment to Celtic would be as resolute as some would like to think. But he isn't alone, it's just the nature of things up here now.

10. JamesM09

He’ll be going nowhere until Ireland is free.

11. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    Ange has honour and he wants to win trophies with Celtic first and would not abandon the bhoys because between him and his players, its personal. An exciting watch with Maeda, Hatate and young Larsson galavanting around on the pitch in Hoops in Jan.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

:56: ffs why are people thinking ange would be anywhere but celtic the next 3 years? He would have to make us do something extraordinary to leave this season. I mean win the europa while horsing man utd 9-0 or something. Not gonna happen, he's basically seen as a rookie coach who has zero clue because he comes from a background of football they think is a joke. So safe to say, he's our for the foreseeable.

OziBeerMan, Dannybhoy81 and G40B like this.
  13. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    You have a long memory, I'm pretty sure that post was about a decade ago lol

packybhoy likes this.
  14. G40B

This is why he gets so much flack when we draw/lose, because of this obsession of building him up to ridiculous levels.

People really need to simmer down.

15. thefutebollover

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota and Kyogo
    He was part of the CFG so I don’t think he is seen as a rookie coach with zero clue for people who know what they are talking about in the football circles.

16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Still the best thread ever on here. :50:

17. leeso-ardoyne

I dont know about this! I think there's something different about Ange thst he's here for the long haul if he's backed and is winning well. He'll want to go down as a great in the history of our club. Although insaying this, nothing surprises me anymore in football because of the money involved. It is difficult to turn down that sort of money and at times, ya can't really blame them because if I'm getting an extra few million a year, as much as I love my football club, I'm away for it just like 99% others would! But it would be nice to see him stay for more than 5 years!

18. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Haha yeah lots funny moments in that thread. I actually loved Lenny's first spell at Celtic

packybhoy likes this.
  19. Mr Cleansheets

This is largely my view. Ange is certainly ambitious but also (appears to have) a sense of destiny that goes way beyond the standard football professional. He would deeply understand how Celtic is different from all other clubs and would therefore be powerfully motivated to create a lasting legend here. Obviously, that desire could be disrupted by a mega-offer and, despite being a career coach, he won't be a rich man. The need to provide for himself and his family would be the thing most likely to get in the way of his Celtic legend if / when such an offer comes along.

kramer1 and leeso-ardoyne like this.
  20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Having been privy to the inner workings and machinations of the big man, Christie says that he was left impressed by Ange and his methods. Speaking to the Scottish Sun he said: “Yes, definitely. Before I left I was able to get a wee taste of Ange’s training. I tried to be quite vocal about how much I enjoyed it and how good he was. The longer he stays in the job, the more successful Celtic will be.”

“They have had some good results and performances, and some good results in Europe as well, to keep them in the hunt. I’m keeping an eye out for all the boys I am pally with up the road and hoping they do well.”

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2021