1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Welsh is nowhere near as good as Starfelt, I can't believe people are still debating this.

McGrory1888 likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Starfelt’s got so much better since he’s been injured apparently

3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He's also been excellent the 2 months prior, but aye, Welsh is far better.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He’s not been excellent, nowhere near excellent. He’s been satisfactory with occasional brainfarts and weak play interspersed with some great interceptions.

Excellent was Van Dijk mate, Starfelt is average and needs to get * better but he’s getting there.

James, Maestro 08, martin_d and 2 others like this.
  5. joemc

It's amazing how good players become wen not playing, starfelt is not great and will always cauz us issues ,he does not promote stability ,I think we all hope big jullien is the answer to the cross ball issues ,he certainly will help make us stronger at both ends .

The Prof likes this.
  6. northeast67

Welsh has never had a bad game that I've saw? Great prospect

packybhoy and martin_d like this.
  7. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    To each their own, but people trying to act like Welsh is better is hilarious, a very overrated CB who will most likely never make it here.

8. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Seriously? No offence, but if that’s an honest assessment, I suggest you get your eyes tested.

Don’t get me wrong, he stepped in at an extremely tough time and did well for a spell, but he’s not anywhere near as good as many of our fans wishfully think he is.

HTG likes this.
  9. thefutebollover

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota and Kyogo
    It seems like people have different options of him but I was very impressed with his performance yesterday. Made a few defensive clearances, did well playing out and dribbled out of defence to create overloads in midfield. Pretty good for his age and will learn a lot under Ange.

Dan Breen, Maestro 08 and martin_d like this.
  10. Damnati

I like Welsh. Seems like an intelligent young guy and appears mentally strong.

It wasn't his best game against Dundee but CB is a tough position to come through and establish yourself as a youth. I'd be happy for him to be backup for a couple of years and see how he progresses. Shouldn't write him off; look at Ralston.

Maestro 08 and thefutebollover like this.
  11. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    When he plays I never have that 'aw naw' feeling that you get with bomb scare duds, for example Jack Hendry (I don't care what he's currently doing he was always a dud/bomb scare here) was an 'aw naw' player whenever you seen him involved in the team

As a rotational squad player CB he's a good option to have, once Jullien is back fit, Jullien, CCV, Starfelt and Welsh with Bitton in emergencies will all be good options to have going forward.

Dan Breen likes this.
  12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Overall, done well yesterday, should have burried that header.
    Happy to have him on board, will prove useful as the season goes on.

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

He certainly gets an easy ride compared to some other injured CB does :56: . The defence has certainly got weaker, and he is showing why he is backup but also showing he will certainly be good enough if we keep developing him. Big julien in defence and he stops many of the goals Welsh hasn't. Thatll come with time though, he doesn't even shave yet. Can see him becoming a starter within the next 2 years.

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    As a fourth choice centre back, he is absolutely fine for that role. You can't just get shift of every player who isn't a guaranteed first choice player. Previous seasons have shown you need more than 3 Centre backs.

Taz likes this.
  15. Maestro 08

Another academy product getting pelters. Zero patience given to our own. The same people that would have chased Ralston out the club now berating a young CB and probably hounding Johnston as well.

stew37, Dan Breen, Damnati and 5 others like this.
  16. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think Welsh has good positioning and reading of the game, and is brave, even though he's not tall for a defender. Can bring the ball out of defense, which is so fashionable nowadays.

Dan Breen and Liam Scales like this.
  17. northeast67

Fair enough you have your opinion but my eyes are fine mate, 4.5 for starfelt 9m for big Jullian and the lad from our youth has stepped up and more than held his own, good in the air solid in the tackle good passer of the ball, fast enough and a good reader of the game, felt sorry for him when he was left out, they boys above are 26ish I believe, Welsh has done perfectly well in there place basically a kid for a centre half

packybhoy, Dan Breen and joemc like this.
  18. joemc

Welsh and wee monty are 2 great prospects who are only gonna get better with games , they won't be regulars just now ,over the next 2 years they should progress to playing first team mostly , it's important we get behind our own as good as players bought in ,instead of slating every error and teaching them to play with fear .

19. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Good in the air? He’s got a decent leap, granted, but (a) his positioning and reading of the game prevent him being good, for example see the first County goal, and (b) he undoubtedly should have buried one at the other end. That’s just using yesterday as obvious examples. He needs to improve there.

Solid in the tackle? He absolutely shat in out a 60/40 (in his favour) with Charlie Adam yesterday. He’s also been turned inside out (see Defoe goal last season for example) far too often. So he’s certainly not solid. Again, improvements are needed.

He’s also mobile, but by no means quick.

Also Jullien wasn’t a £9m signing and the defence has been noticeably weaker since Starfelt got injured.

I’m not saying Welsh will never make it (though personally I have massive doubts), but he’s certainly nowhere near as good as many would have you believe. He’d be best served going out on loan and getting a full season under his belt at a team that he’ll be forced to defend more than 25% of a game. That said, we need him as cover so that’s unlikely to happen.

20. northeast67

all opinions as I said he's got youth on his side, there's not many young complete centre half's and u think if guys like Welsh can be bled into the team he'll come very good

packybhoy likes this.