1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I like him. He's 21 years old. Has plenty of time to develop but he needs to be playing minutes and that has to happen in January. Would like to see him go on loan to a Aberdeen/Hibs/Hearts and see where we are with him after 18 months. Needs to be consistently playing and he's too good to be playing 4th choice here. We would have cover with Julien, CCV and Starfelt and Bitton can fill in there if we are desperate.

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Tough one this. I love the guy and dont want to see him leave on loan. But, as you highlight, he is going to be 4th choice, so a loan to a decent side should aid his development. Scales can also cover at CB so we should be in good nick, cover wise.

3. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    It’s a good move for youngsters to go out on loan to lower level teams who have to defend a lot, allows them to develop a bit more defensively.

4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I actually thought Jamie McCart who was with us as a youth had a good game against us for St Johnstone the other week.

martin_d likes this.
  5. stew37

I actually can't remember him doing anything wrong in the game? He slipped at the start and got a yellow card, but aside from that I can't fault him.

Starfelt has been playing well for us until his injury but I have no issues with Welsh starting. Last season I think he was probably our best player.

martin_d likes this.
  6. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Definitely. Kris Ajer went out on loan to Kilmarnock and came back 6 months later and started making appearances in the team. Players like Welsh, Robertson, Dembele and even Johnstone, they could do with the minutes. That's why Shaw and Urgohide need to go out and play. Makes the league more competitive as well and they don't play against us. Shaw would be great for someone like Hibs right now. That wee bit of steel in the middle of the park to try and get a grip of a game.

7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Actually thought he was younger than that. Needs game time definitely but when Julien is back it's hard to see when that happens, barring injuries to 2 CBs.

If we buy CCV (which is looking more likely) then not sure what the future holds. Shame if he gets squeezed out as at times in the last year he's been extremely reliable.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's composed and seems positionally astute, but doesn't have much of a presence about him but at 21 that could come...

I can't quite put my finger on it as he doesn't make many mistakes but there's something about him that I don't rate..

Young for CB so plenty of time to develop. Maybe a loan move to another SPL side where he can get consistent game time could work next season.. As he'll be needed for cover this year.

9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    End of last season thought he was just about our most reliable player. In a fair few games out performing Ajer at the back.

Just don't know how he can develop further if he doesn't get game time. If Starfelt hadn't gotten injured certainly didn't look like Welsh was getting rotated in any time soon.

JC Anton likes this.
  10. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    Not for me. Get him out on loan

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's played well for us but he isn't great..

Isn't quick
    Isn't strong
    Gets caught under the ball too often
    Passing can be rash at time's
    No presence

I like him but it's been clear lately that Starfelt us better than him, no surprise really with the level he's played at and Starfelt and Carter-Vickers are easily a better partnership..

Funny how it swings as no long ago id have taken him over Starfelt. Kinda knew the Russian pace of the game would take a while to adapt here but Starfelt was irking me as it was lasting too long..

He's getting to grips with it though and now looks a level above Welsh..

JC Anton likes this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Not his fault, was originally thrown in because we couldney be arsed signing a CB, i'm still not convinced Starfelt is the answer either tbh, but he's certainly the better option of the two.

13. mayo

A loan would do him good once Julien is back. Worried for scales if he can’t get ahead of Welsh.

14. joemc

I would say he is much more comfortable in possession than starfelt, moving forward into attack is better , both similar defensively. The thing most people can't quite put thier finger on is that he came through our youth and they tend to get stick for * all or if they get injuries .

NomDePlum and Liam Scales like this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Ah so that's why Ange has had him on the bench for 2 months, because he hates academy players as well.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The bigger picture is that we canny defend balls into our box, even the shittiest teams can exploit this when playing us.

Nothing seems to get done about it, happens over and over again.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Lets be honest, it’s because he spent £4.5m on a player so wanted to play him regardless of if he was playing better than Welsh because Starfelt absolutely did not deserve to go in infront of Welsh on form for basically his first 10-12 games. He seems to have settled now.

He was in due to price tag though.

18. joemc

No he's on the bench because we don't want to appear like complete fuds and show we wasted another 4.5 Mill wen the virtual novice is as good if not better .

19. joemc

Not 100% sure he is an ange pik.

20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Did think a couple of times today he'd played the ball forward far quicker than normal.