1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think we will win the league?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Oct 31, 2021.

Discuss Do you think we will win the league? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's close and I think it'll come down to how well we recruit in January but I'm going to say no at the moment. We need to start winning games like dundee united and livi before we win the league.

Haven't beat the huns since 2019 and their form is starting to improve whilst ours has started to dip.

2. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    My biggest fear, we get a positive result against the huns in the new year. We are neck and neck more or less with them in january, champions league place up for grabs:

And our board sit on their hands and dont push the boat out and secure the league

It would be worse than fletchergate

greengrocer likes this.
  3. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Although we badly need signings in January and Ange has made this point recently, I'm not overly convinced we'll be getting the signings we need irrespective of where we are in the league. That's my main worry.

If we did actually bring in the right players, not * 2m punts, I'd feel better about the second half of the season. I think in all probability we are going to be trailing at the winter break, so hopefully it's still relatively close by then, say 4-6 points.

4. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That’s interesting you see us as going out of form. We won 5 games in a row before Livingston and we didn’t lose either… * performance or we failed to breakdown Livingston but I wouldn’t say a draw means our form is starting to dip.

I’ve quite openly said many times that I don’t expect us to win the league this season as it’s such a huge change in the team and style and rangers have pretty much kept the same team with minimal disruption.

That said, if we keep the gap roughly where it is and win the game in January, plus add a creative player to cover Rogic then I think we’ll win the title.

5. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    If I'm not mistaken, our record vs Livingston since they were promoted is 4 wins, 2 defeats, and 6 draws.

At Parkhead, that record is 4 wins and 2 draws - one of those wins being a dead rubber at the tail end of last season.

So really, it wasn't that silly that we dropped points here. They're actually an opponent that we are quite likely to drop points against. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have won the game - obviously we should have, especially given that we had a penalty.

What I am saying is, let's not press the panic button after one draw!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  6. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    If we're still in touching distance by January and add a couple of players, mainly a dynamic box-to-box midfielder, then I think we are more than capable.

Imperative that we put a run of wins together, no more slip ups and then let's see how they handle their various trips to some of the tougher grounds in the coming month.

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I (think I) get what you are saying here, that we do come up against some teams who are just tough to break down, some clubs become a bit of a thorn in our side as such. That is fine - but you seem to be treading a dangerous line of accepting dropped points and defeats to these teams as if it is okay, get them next time.

The reality is, we need to be getting 90+ points most seasons to not only win the league, but to exert some level of dominance and fear to teams playing against us.
    Accepting dropped points against Livingston gives hope to other teams in the league - at what point do we shrug off dropped points to Livingston, St Johnston, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and chalk it off to "tough game, get them next time" ? Because if that happens a little too often in a season, we end up with last seasons outcome - or worse.

We should never be accepting of dropped points against inferior opponents. Realistically, it happens, of course but, we should never accept it.

The Phoenix likes this.
  8. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Not saying we should accept it mate, fully aware that we need to go on an extended winning run, and we need to do it now. And I'm confident we can do it. I'm just saying that we can't let one draw - against a team we generally draw with - define our season.

honda and Peej like this.
  9. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Not sure where to put this but what's the chances of 2 tickets for the league Cup final will there be a general sale

10. Jeffrey

Usually goes to the people on the Home Cup Ticket Scheme or if there’s too many people eligible then it goes to a ballot.

Can’t remember the last time I had a ballot letter tho, maybe 2010/11 whenever we lost the final to them and Izzy was sent off.

11. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Maybe if we get a midfielder to compliment Mcgregor

12. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Cheers mate I managed to get one for the last semi against hibs so here's hoping

13. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Do you think his ego needs a wee boost?

14. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Complimentary midfielder: "Your hair looks nice today Cal, have you done something different with it?"

rudebhoy67 likes this.
  15. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If you care at all about stats like xG there has been a slow decrease in the quality of our chances in recent games. Whereas there has been a slow increase in the huns. I'm just afraid incase this trend continues.

I'll just say that things like xG don't tell the full story, teams can under/over perform to what the numbers say. However they are a useful tool in predicting a teams future form.

16. celtic warrior

Smart signings in Central midfield along with a lb, lw, should really see us push for title.

I think it would be tight but we absolutely should be aiming to win the league this season.

The money we get from winning the league is incentive enough because of the auto cl it provides.

17. GreenLeanMean

I feel like every block of fixtures we have is a "test" . Some big games after the international break.
    I know every game is a big one but we're playing in 3 competitions against some of the more traditionally harder teams.

LC - semi - St J
    Leverkusen away
    Dons @ celtic Park
    Hearts @ parkhead.

Win our domestic ones and a good game against bayern would be brilliant

18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Said it before but we have had the much harder fixtures than the orcs. We've been to Easter Road, Tynecastle, Almondvale and Pittodrie this season already, as well as mordor. They've still to go to these places. Tough places to go and just get wins. Let's see where we are come January. They do have a few tough games coming up. I know we have yer Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeens at home to come but we should be heavy heavy favourites for these games. Get to the glasgow derby in January within 2 points and watch them * crumble if we beat them and go top.

GreenLeanMean likes this.
  19. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I'm not sure we do. But if we don't, I'd be very confident of us blowing them away next year. That's usually how it goes with Ange's teams, and given how the players are buying into his philosophy, plus a couple more transfer windows under our belt, I'd be surprised if we didn't really push on over the next 18 months.

20. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The honest answer is im not sure but * it, im saying YES. We cant afford to drop points against the likes of Livy at home as we did last weekend but if we find the consistency the team is undoubtedly good enough to win the league.