1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I guarantee he’s still having a purple patch this time next season.

Like Jimmy Forrest and his chocolate bones.

2. James Gold Member Gold Member

I think people go way over the top with praising him granted he has played fantastic in some games this season but he's been bang average or poor in others but still gets praised just because it's him. Actually I think it's similar with Starfelt he can be bang average but gets praised.

Miserable * CSC

Peej likes this.
  3. Jeffrey

We would be very hard pushed to get the performances he’s putting in, from a foreign back up of the same cost.

Deserved.

4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We need more players with his drive and dig.

Made up for him getting a new deal.

5. James Gold Member Gold Member

So was Shane Duffy it counts for nothing. Not saying he has been * by any stretch but I still think we should be aiming far higher. He must be due a testimonial and has played decent for 2/3 months in his time here

Peej likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I hope he is a better player come next year and I eat my words. I hope he goes on to prove us all wrong for the last couple of years of negative assessment of him.
    But I am being somewhat realistic, he's played well enough for 3 months, there is every chance we will be sitting here next year wondering why the * we gave him such a long contract when we are trying to get rid of him again.

Sense would have been to have gave him til 2023 to cover our *. Not 2025, which indicates we arent going to be getting much better than Ralston for the forseeable.

James likes this.
  7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He’s 22 mate. Think a testimonial is while away yet

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are delighted to announce that Anthony Ralston has signed a new contract which will see him remain at the club until the summer of 2025.

The 22-year-old defender, who first joined the club’s Youth Academy at the age of eight, has enjoyed an impressive start to this season under Ange Postecoglou, making 21 appearances and scoring four goals.

He made his first-team debut back in May 2016, coming on as a substitute in a game against St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park, having spent most of that 2015/16 season on loan at Queen’s Park.

He later had a short loan spell at Dundee United towards the end of the 2017/18 season, and then spent the next campaign at St Johnstone.

In the summer, he signed an extension with Celtic, but the new contract is a reflection of his contribution to the team this season.

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He’s 22. Is it possible he has improved and isn’t just playing above his level?

He shouldn’t be first choice going forward but by Christ he isn’t giving it up without a fight.

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Delighted for him..

An amazing turnaround, took his chance and seized it.

11. James Gold Member Gold Member

Aye you know what I mean he's been about for years and has played well for 2/3 months max and he is now here for another 4 years.

Peej likes this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    As possible as the team was destroyed of real talent the past season and we are in the midst of a massive rebuild lacking in a lot of areas to show real quality?

Not saying he is *, he's clearly doing some good work and has a good engine and passion in him. Credit where it is due, I think almost all of us can say he has stepped up a level this season.

But not every player who is "*" and going through a purple patch needs to be compared to Vardy as some sort of late bloomer - it doesn't happen all that often.

James likes this.
  13. bhoy81

Imagine his form continues for the rest of the season and then left for free. Would be silly.

Rather we give him a 4 year deal than another 30 year old with bad knees.

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That is the main concern James, 4 more years.
    The past 4 years we have tried to get rid of him, 3 months of decent performances while the squad is threadbare and lacking real quality, he is getting a long term deal off us.
    I think it really is more the length of the deal for me. That and knowing how this club really operates in transfer dealings - it signals lack of ambition to go out and now get better.

James likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Wouldn't the sensible thing have been just 2 years though? To cover that risk, but not let ourselves be lumbered with him if it is a case of a purple patch?

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Maybe he wasn’t ready when we first flung him in?

I agree with you though, as long as he has genuine competition then this makes sense. He shouldn’t be automatic first choice going forward.

You need players like him and Kyogo, their work rate shames others into giving 10% more.

17. stew37

He can't really win on here. :56:

18. bhoy81

Aye but Celtic don’t do sensible…… thought you would have known this by now :Kyogo:

Peej likes this.
  19. bhoy81

I think people need to remember we need home grown players trained at the club for Europe and he won’t be on a big wage either.

He is in great form, hope it continues if it doesn’t then he can be back up.

Peej and Sean Daleer like this.
  20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It’s a wee bit more than passion. He’s weighing in with goals and sprinting 40 yards to make goal line clearances.

He is clearly limited skilfully but he more than makes up for it with hard work and an ability to learn and adapt.

I have no problems with this deal. Let’s be honest he’s probably getting paid with a Celtic TV subscription and a Wolfe Tones 40th Anniversary CD so it’s low risk.

NomDePlum and Peej like this.