1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Yes, and thank you for reminding me re Kimmich . I believe the same was true with Lahm, but vice versa.

2. Ghost_Jiggle

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/Champions Again
    I agree with this too, I think Juranovic is tactically and positionally astute enough that he could play in a DMF role if needed, however I don't think there would be any increase in forward drive than if Bitton or McCarthy played there instead

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    An argument? No. Calling a silly idea silly, isn’t seeking an argument.

Juranovic’s skillset suits his role as a full back. They operate entirely differently to a central midfielder. There’s no need to provide you with a detailed report because it’s incredibly simple. Postecoglou is clearly a good coach and interestingly enough he’s chosen Juranovic only as a full back because that’s his position. He also seems to prefer Bitton in his more natural role as a central midfielder, rather than the arguably unsuccessful conversion to centre back we’ve witnessed the past few seasons. That indicates that Postecoglou doesn’t try to fit square pegs into round holes. Which then tells me that barring a crazy injury crisis, we won’t see Juranovic play there for Celtic. Just to reiterate, your idea is incredibly silly, especially when the full back positions are where we have big weaknesses.

The big Viduka and OziBeerMan like this.
  4. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

I’m wondering if he could also play as a striker?
    Would give us more options.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Why not goalie too?

The big Viduka and Spring Time like this.
  6. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Not needed. We have Joe & 3 back ups with Bain Bitton & Calmac.

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Great, that’ll free up Giakoumakis to play left back!

8. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Giakoumakis could possibly play as a striker as well.
    This total football when done with the wrong players reminds me of the old square pegs in rou……..

9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I said a possible option - not that he must play there.
    I am not telling Ange what to do or not to do . I am not in his head. I say again that Juranovic , given the circumstances and if needs be, could be an option to consider at DMF.

Now, you can pick an argument with other people on this thread that are of a like mind as me. You can not accept another person's point of view without grace. Also consider the careers of utility players such as Tommy Smith, David Alaba, James Milner, Javier Zanetti, Frederick Lahm and Joshua Kimmich. Obviously players who could only play at fullback.

10. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    I enjoy reading some intelligent debate, George and Minty. Irrespective who’s correct, can we please have more of this. Other than ‘ Ange is the messiah’ after a win and ‘ Ange out ‘ after a loss. So * shallow some of the commentary.

11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not every player has the same versatility. What kind of DMF do you want this Celtic team to deploy? A destroyer? A creative holder? Intelligent interceptor? Something different?

I believe Juranović is neither suited to be a tough, combative destroyer, nor an intelligent interceptor, and not even a creative holder. If we had to experiment, then Ralston could be the destroyer type. Smashing into anything that comes near with zeal and defensive tenacity. But, he's made the RB spot his own.

Ange probably prefers the creative holder type, and Bitton has literally been that in his youth days, before he got converted (unsuccessfully) into a CB. In that sense, playing Bitton at DMF is entirely logical, as he knows that role best, and we lose nothing by him being there- McGregor has the mobility for a linking CM- Bitton doesn't.

George Theodorou likes this.
  12. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Apart from the first couple of games I've been quite disappointed in our home form. We've struggled to break down defences and needed luck a couple of times. I think yesterday's result has been coming. Against Ross Co we toiled for a long time before a wicked deflection from a CCV shot got us the first goal and another lucky deflection set up our first goal against St Johnstone and then we got a penalty.
    I hate to say it but some of our play in the last 4 home games reminds of last year - playing in front of the packed defence with no real clue of how to get through it or around it. The only difference is that last year we might have lost a goal or 2 and lost the games.
    I think his plan to put in crosses yesterday was decent enough but it's hopeless with 1 striker against 3 or 4 defenders.
    I think we really have to play with 2 strikers and 2 wingers at home as well as 2 midfielders getting into the box.
    I know we didn't manage to score at the end yesterday but I think if we played the whole match with the formation we finished with we would probably have won.
    He has to learn that there's a difference between home games, away games, European games and against the best and worst in the SPL and adapt accordingly. This one size fits all approach just won't work and shows a lack of imagination.

McKagan and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  13. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

It’s really not that uncommon for full backs to play holding midfield and vice versa.

Anybody that’s remotely interested in football outside of this dump of a country at any level knows this.

The attributes required are very similar, it’s not really that much of a ludicrous suggestion.

George Theodorou likes this.
  14. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    What i don't get is how boring and passive we are, other than 3 or 4 30 minute patches of play this season, which you might even say were more down to individuals on form (Kyogo, Rogic - mainly Jota who is really outstanding) rather than effective tactics, our football has been absolute garbage. No sign so far of this fantastically entertaining attacking football.

Ange has already got himself out of a few holes this season specifically by changing his 'Plan A'. Next game he changes back and we're * again. His Plan A is *. If you're telling me "it takes time and we'll be brilliant eventually" i have some magic beans you might be interested in.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We needed more quality in the full back positions, so we signed Juranovic. It would be mental to play him as a centre mid when we have better options there and need our best full backs playing in those positions.

I don't know who Tommy Smith is but every other player you mention there is or was far more effective in their natural position. Lahm's first name is Philipp, btw.

16. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Ach c'mon you. I didn't point out he kept calling our keeper Baine ... :giggle1:

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well I had to go and check there wasn't a Fred Lahm I didn't know about. :giggle1:

18. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Wee Frederick :giggle1:. It's close to Phillip tbf

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye, they do share one letter tbf!

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

:56:

Callum McGregor likes this.