1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Yet when we’ve started Kyogo upfront we haven’t dropped points domestically. Only when we have gone to the target men have we dropped points. We play more direct with our smaller technical players.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  2. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Yeah I'm not a fan of this constant crossing balls into the box.

The Livi keeper had our number most of the game, and playing against a backline of two 5's is just an exercise in futility using that tactic.

We missed Tam so much yesterday, which for me is slightly worrisome, we shouldn't be relying on one player to dance his way through packed defences to create penetration.

More bodies in the squad are needed, most importantly a midfield playmaker, as Rogic's legs are made out of * silly string and his fitness can't be relied upon.

Pony up BoD's.

Fix this or a mars bar is coming your way, ya bunch of * Tory, DD's fuckboy, capitalist pigs.

3. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Time to open the tactics book Ange - How to breach a double line defensive set up. You have failed in this regard twice now Ange with Livingston.

As you keep saying - you are responsible for what happens on the pitch re tactics . The blame falls on you.

4. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I still say he can be a defensive midfield option.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    And you're still wrong.

6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's more likely to play on the right wing. Wide players can often cover for positions behind or in front of their natural one, on the same side, with less disruption to their overall style of play. If conversion to a makeshift DM is needed, then CB-s are a logical option.

7. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    We go for the penalty like Platini used to do for Juventus barging into defenders.

8. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Would love to have him and Ralston playing in the same team and having a natural left footer at LB. Is there a place for him on the right and have Ralston playing as well ? If he did play RW he could be crossing balls both early and late but he is not a dribbler.

9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    As I have said before, you are entitled to your opinion. So am I.

10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    We need to back off and draw them out in order to get behind them.

11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Definitely agree with the need for a natural LB. Having classic wide players would force defensive blocks apart, in order to contain runs down the flanks, enabling McGregor to run into space. Juranović and Johnston on the left certainly didn't work. When they played together in some games, Montgomery and Jota had shown a bit of cooperation- some nice overlapping maneuvers.

Juranović could cross quicker when on the right. It does require the striker(s) to fight for the cross, but without pressure on the defense, nothing will happen, anyway. Not all crosses have to be floated in, anyhow.

George Theodorou likes this.
  12. scootz

Absolutely!

I was thinking that fairly early on in the game. We were doing the same thing over and over again, and we never looked like scoring.

It’s on the Manager to shake it up… and he didn’t!

Very disappointing day.

13. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I consider myself a fan of direct football, and so, the ideas that came to my mind yesterday are very unlikely to cross Ange's mind. But, they would force defensive teams to break their standard shape.

1. Have the taller striker drop deeper, behind the shorter one. Any crosses or long balls that now target the big guy will force the defenders to step up, even outside the box- if they don't deal with the danger, the faster striker might even be available for a lay-off or knock-down. Passes from midfielders can also mess up the rattled defense.

2. The "Flo pass". Basically, the tall forward goes wide, best around the edge of the box. Wide men from the opposite flank target him with crosses. Since full backs are often shorter than centre backs, the forward wins the ball, and can pass into the middle. Imagine Giakoumakis sending passes or knock-downs into the middle with Abada and Kyogo bursting to slot them in, as centre backs don't know where to go? Livingston would crumble.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just because you have an opinion on something doesn’t mean it’s valid. You are the only person in the world that thinks Juranovic, a full back, should play as a DM. It’s just a silly silly suggestion.

15. seanm

Totally to blame for not changing the system and more importantly allowing that idiot to take the penalty when calmac or juranovic were on the field.* schoolboy * *.HH

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'd much rather a player batter the post, clip the bar etc with a powerfully hit penalty than that absoloute monstrosity he called a shot that fool done. He couldn't pass it any easier into the keepers arms.

17. saltire78

Mate, I understand what you're saying, and I'm a huge fan of us actually playing defensively when it's prudent. However, there playing defensively and not playing at all. A lot of the Scottish teams do the latter...

When we played defensively against Barca et al, we still countered at EVERY opportunity. We still sought out the set plays that could unlock them. We didn't concede 85% possession without shots for the entire game. We didn't have force fields at our halfway line to stop our players moving across. We didn't decide kicking them up and down the park was a viable tactic to achieve our goal.

Livingston defended well, and I applaud them for getting what they came for - a "victorious" draw.

18. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

This. Always has been the case, always will be the case. At any club, anywhere.

The Prof likes this.
  19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    You keep complaining, so convince me that I am mistaken. This is not an issue of world politics, but you are determined to convince me that my opinion is not worth considering. You obviously want to get into an argument, after having consulted the whole world as to whether Juranovic, a proven defender at international level, can not possibly play in an other position in defence.

All defenders know how to defend, they are not restricted to one area of the field like most were in pre- seventies football. Exceptions that come to mind were John Hollins, Ron Harris, Emlyn Hughes and others that I can name. The players for Ajax under Rinus Michels played total football in the 70s and they could all cover each others' positions on the field.

So give me a detailed report, with evidence, why Juranovic could not ever be a possible option to play DMF. Elaborate. Give me your report on his non- capabilties as you see them, and as the whole world sees them, according to you.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  20. Mr Diggler

I actually think Juranovic looks like the type of player who could do well at DMF. He is technically good and positionally aware- he has a little bit of pace. I remember Joshua Kimmich moved into DMF from right back and did a great job for Bayern.

OziBeerMan and George Theodorou like this.