1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Wim jansen.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by ChrisMoh, Sep 22, 2017.

Discuss Wim jansen. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Brutal. What a guy..

2. TheHappyLoss

Gave us one of our best ever days. Hope he finds as many happy days as possible.

3. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Everyone at Celtic would like to send their best wishes to our former manager, Wim Jansen, after he revealed this week that he is living with dementia.

Wim, who turns 75 this Thursday, talks about his diagnosis and now living with the illness in a new biography of his life, which is being published in the Netherlands.

In the book, he discusses how he decided to seek medical advice after reading a book about his former Dutch international colleague, Piet Schrijvers, who suffers from Alzheimer's disease, because he recognised the same symptoms.

Wim will be forever held in the highest regard by the Celtic Family for his success in winning the league title for the club back in the 1997/98 season, the year when the Hoops famously ‘stopped the 10’.

Wim’s Celtic connection goes back even further, however, as he was part of the Feyenoord side which beat Celtic in the 1970 European Cup final.

A Feyenoord and Dutch football legend, Wim made over 500 appearances for the club, while he also played in two World Cup finals – 1974 and ’78.

As Celtic manager, he brought Henrik Larsson to Paradise from Feyenoord, and in his season in charge of the Hoops, Wim also won the League Cup as well as the league title.

Our thoughts are with Wim and his family, and the best wishes of the whole Celtic Family are with a man who delivered one of the most important title triumphs in the club’s history.

Wim, You’ll Never Walk Alone.

bobs1974, Sydneysider and eire4 like this.
  5. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Legend.

Horrid disease, which has affected my family too.

bobs1974 and Liam Scales like this.
  7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Wish him and his family all the best. He will always be remebered for what he achived and the legend he brought to us. Keep the Faith :shamrock:

bobs1974 likes this.
  8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Horrendous news.

I feel for him and his family. He'll always be a Celtic legend.

Creativecelt and bobs1974 like this.
  9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Thoughts are with the great man and his family. :shamrock:

Creativecelt, bobs1974 and Rydo1888* like this.
  10. DonnyCelt

Thoughts with Wim and his family. A true legend who gave us another legend.

Horrible disease man, wish him all the best in his battle ahead, and look back on his may fantastic memories for as long as possible.

:shamrock::notworthy

11. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Thoughts are with Win, horrible condition :shamrock:

bobs1974 likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

HENRIK LARSSON is in the top three of most important signings in Celtic's history.

Wim Jansen, the man who brought him to Glasgow, can lay claim to being one the Parkhead club's most important managers, too.

He didn't lift the European Cup or nine league titles like Jock Stein. He didn't make Celtic a juggernaut domestically and difficult to play against in Europe like Martin O'Neill. He didn't win an Invincible Treble like Brendan Rodgers.

But he stopped Rangers winning ten-in-a-row.

And, of course, he signed Larsson - something ex-Hoops skipper Jackie McNamara reckons made him an instant legend

The Dutch coach, who turn 75 on Thursday, revealed in his new book released last week that he’s been diagnosed with early onset dementia.

Larsson has paid tribute to the man who transformed his lifeand admits he doesn't know how his career would've turned out if it wasn't for Jansen.

He also revealed that Jansen noticed his talents effectively by accident - because he was actually scouting SOMEONE ELSE-when he spotted the dreadlocked Swede ripping it up for Helsingborgs while he was manager at Feyenoord

Larsson told the Daily Record: "As a player you have some matches where everything you touch is good. I had a game like that in 1993 when I played for Helsingborgs in a derby against Trelleborgs.

That was my lucky day, because Wim Jansen was in the stands. I was up front with Mats Magnusson. He was an experienced striker of 29, had played for Benfica for years and scored a lot.

"I was just 22 and only recently played at the highest level in Sweden. We clicked. That day I scored two or three goals.

"Wim was actually there to watch Mats Lilienberg, Trelleborg’s striker. But he saw how I moved, both with and without the ball. And that is why he brought me to Feyenoord instead of Lilienberg."

As things transpired, Larsson was barely in the door at Feyenoord before Jansen quit the club.

And in 1997 was recruited by Celtic and charged with stopping Rangers from winning ten-in-a-row.

Larsson by this point was regretting his move to the Netherlands and seeking a move back to his homeland.

But Jansen made it his priority to bring the Swede to Glasgow - and we all know what happened next.

Larsson said: "In Holland I ended up in a culture that was foreign to me, I didn’t speak the language. I wasn’t very young, but I wasn’t old enough either.

"In retrospect I have to admit I wasn’t ready for it. I still had to grow up. So I honestly just wanted to leave Feyenoord.

"During that period I first seriously considered going back to Sweden but I knew, if I did that, I would never end up abroad as a professional footballer.

"So for me Celtic was a blessing. I didn’t know much about the club but I wanted to give it a chance. The rest is history."

History indeed.

Larsson recalled how Jansen's impact on the Celts' dressing room coming in as an outsider actually helped their cause that season.

That was in spite of barely a dozen players turning up for training at the start of the campaign.

He said: "The preparation for that season was chaotic. Wim only had 13 or 14 players when he started.

"The guys had never experienced a trainer like Wim before. He was always so calm and you could speak to him about anything. Everyone wants to work hard for a man like that.

"But we had so many new players that it took time. And you hardly ever get time in football. I could feel the pressure from the start. Every day.

You knew, if you don’t stop Rangers this year, it’s over.

Henrik Larsson On Stopping 'The Ten'.
    "Rangers were going for a tenth successive title and we knew that couldn’t happen. Every Celtic fan who spoke to me told me how important that was. So you knew, if you don’t stop Rangers this year, it’s over.

"In that respect, it was an advantage there were so many new players. They had no affinity with the Old Firm yet. The rivalry with Rangers was less deep.

"As a result, they were better able to handle the stress. Because if you had known then what you know now, that team wouldn’t have made it. And then we can count ourselves lucky that there was no social media at that time."

Larsson was sorry to see Jansen go at the end of that historic season, particularly because of the personal impact the Dutchman had on him.

As he opened up on their relationship, he told of how Jansen was able to get to know his players "layer by layer" and achieve a level of understanding only great coaches can.

He said: "Without him I don’t know how my career would have progressed. It was no fun that our time together ended early after that season, for the second time.

"I knew the press would start asking questions, because I was seen as Wim’s boy. We had a good relationship and lived in the same neighbourhood.

"My wife Magdalena got on well with his wife Cobie. Our son Jordan had just been born when we came to Scotland and Cobie would babysit for us sometimes.

"It’s an art to properly convey what you want from players. Wim was a master at that. He peels off the layers. He gets to know you, layer by layer.

"At a certain point he knows how you are and what you are thinking. Then he comes up with something that makes it so easy for you that you don’t have to think about it anymore.

"You need a lot of people knowledge for that. And that characterises the really great trainers.

cidermaster and bobs1974 like this.
  13. StevieBhoooy!

Will never forget that most important afternoon ..

or the most important player in my Celtic memories..

I hope he keeps it at bay as much and as long as possible.

☘️☘️☘️

14. Onefootwonder

Sad news about Wim.

bobs1974 likes this.
  15. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Will never,never,never,never,never,never,never,never,never forget that Saturday afternoon in early May 98.
    Listening on the Radio in the Spare Bedroom heart pumping,nerves all over the place. Then the jumping up and down and screaming with beyond massive joy!!!

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Feyenoord has learned with great sadness of the death of Wim Jansen, one of the greatest football players who has ever played for the club. He died Tuesday at the age of 75.

In Wim Jansen's biography 'Mastermind', which was published in October last year, it became clear that he was suffering from dementia. Although the intense sadness of course predominates, Jansen's family is at the same time relieved that he has been spared a long agony. The family is pleased that their Wim has been able to keep control until the last moment, they have informed the club.

Feyenoord loses an icon and child of the club with Wim Jansen. He became a member of Feijenoord at the age of ten, after which he played in the first team for no less than fifteen years and won many prizes. Even after his playing career, Jansen remained loyal to the club and was, among other things, assistant and head coach, technical director and advisor. 'I left Feyenoord a few times, but always came back. You could call it a blood tie," he said in his biography.

In his time as a player, Jansen was part of the most successful Feyenoord teams ever. The midfielder was a permanent fixture in the team that in 1970 was the first Dutch club to win the European Cup I and the World Cup. Four years later, Jansen also lifted the UEFA Cup as captain. Three national titles and a KNVB Cup complete the impressive honors list of his period as a player in De Kuip.

Jansen played 476 official games for Feyenoord, scoring 39 times. Not only in red and white he belonged to the top, he was also allowed to compete with the best in Orange. Already at the age of 20, Jansen made his debut in the Dutch national team, with which he reached the World Cup final in both 1974 and 1978. The midfielder eventually came to 65 international matches.

The name of Jansen is also inextricably linked to the resurrection of Feyenoord in the early 1990s. After a long period of adversity, Jansen led the club as a trainer to 'the turnaround'. The historic 0-1 win over PSV in the semi-finals and the eventual cup win in 1991 proved to be the prelude to better times and more sporting success, including the national title in 1993.

Over the past ten years, Jansen has mainly been a familiar face at Varkenoord. As an advisor to the youth trainers, preferably in the background and far away from the spotlight. That role suited him the most, he said in the summer of 2011. 'Educating youth is my great passion and I will never get rid of Feyenoord.'

With that last statement, Jansen underlined the close bond he built up with Feyenoord throughout his life. He beautifully expressed how much the club meant to him at the beginning of 2017. 'I have been a member of Feyenoord for over sixty years. Essentially, this club has ruled my life. First as a youth player, then as a football player, later as a trainer, technical director and now at the youth academy. Feyenoord is my life.'

20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    RIP Wim