1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    'Turns out to be class', he been very good since the start of the season you absolute plonker. Dont bother with all your horse * about 'coaching' and 'natural ability'. You're * desperate, just admit he's proven you wrong. As every game passes you're making an even bigger * of yourself over your refusal to admit you might have got it wrong in any way. Grow a pair of balls for fucksake.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Tommy25 and Dan Breen like this.
  2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I think a lot of people, including me, had the early impression he wasn’t good enough and it has stuck fast. I would trace it back to the PSG game where we were schooled by them. It was unfair on Ralston that he was thrust into the team as a raw 18 year old against one of the best players in the world who kept coming at him. Even him screaming in the Rats (Neymar) face was something you do when your winning and it was embarrassing. I wasn’t a fan but now I am as he has worked hard and grown into a man. I am now confident with his name on the starting 11.

Hammy89, Dannybhoy81 and moravcik1888 like this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:56::56::56::56:

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Still to be fully convinced he is as good as some folk are thinking he is. He's very much a hard worker and gives his all, he's definetely not as poor as we all saw over the last few years.
    But is he at the level that some folk seem to be believing he is? Yet to see it.

Some great tracking back tackles this season says he can be, but I am not fully convinced he is able to do this at the actual top level we need him to be at.
    Needs more than 3 months of a positive start for me.

That said, his form is good, he is playing every minute almost and he isn't doing too much wrong - if he isn't called in to the next Scotland squad, I would be very surprised - actually I wouldn't since the current manager has a weird hardon for Stephen O'DOnnell.

moravcik1888 likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I get the above sounds really negative on the lad, but we need to surely see more than a few months of the lad, during what can only be described as a rebuild with some very questionable performances/results as a team so far.

If he continues in the sort of form we perceive him to be in and the team continues to improve and he is a firm part of that, then sure I will credit him a lot more than I am just now. But I think we all need to wait a little longer before we start claiming him to be the RB answer when 3 months ago he wasn't good enough as 3rd choice.

moravcik1888 likes this.
  6. stew37

@Notorious Any chance at all you could source his tackle from last week?

You always get the goals up but honestly, this was like a goal.

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It wasn't being really negative.

He's definitely improved this season. No two ways about it. He was abysmal a few months back. But despite his big improvement, he's still not the standard we should be aiming for. By all means a good back up/rotation option, but that's it. We have Croatia's first choice right back on our books. He needs to be playing in his best position.

Peej likes this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Totally agree.
    We have a bigger issue at Left Back and that shouldn't be "fixed" by playing a Croatian first choice out of position.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That's the reality..

I've been impressed by Tony but as you say, we've got an experienced, first choice Croatia right back with a whole host of European game's under his belt as well. We didn't buy him to play second fiddle..

Tony has shown he can come in and do a job for me and I'd have no problems with him starting domestically when we rotate, or Juranovic needs breather. That's a compliment as I didn't rate him at all before this season..

It's time for Juranovic to get a run in his position. You only have to look when our right back has already been established as our designated penalty taker. That's the kinda quality we're talking about here..

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The fact that Croatia's (probably)* first choice RB is being played on the left shows that Ange sees Ralston as undroppable. That speaks volumes about Tony's effort and performances. I do want Juranović to let Ralston rest, though. Freshness will be key.

* Stanišić is supposed to be a big talent, and he played in Juranović's absence, also because Croatia have no other candidates for the position. His performances have been so-so, thus Juranović, who hasn't been the regular RB for a long time either, should see more caps in November.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Or on the flip side, it shows that he thinks Juranovic is more capable of playing out of position and our options at left back are mince.

I'd imagine if Taylor was fit it would be him and Juranovic starting at full back.

GreenLeanMean likes this.
  12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Poorest game Juranovic has had was his only outing at RB for us against Ross County. That might be entering Anges thoughts too.

Without a first choice LB available Juranovic only strengthens the team there and he also gets an opportunity to learn what Ange expects, with less pressure.

He drops Ralston and Juranovic has a couple of performances at RB like Ross County that's a real problem for Ange as there will be pressure to bring Ralston back and drop a player he brought in.

I think Juranovic will continue at LB for a while, until Ralstons form dips or we strengthen the LB position.

There is an other option to play Ralston at LB as he did play there I'm sure in one or 2 pre-season matches a few years back, but that undermines Montgomery, Scales and others too much.

Sweendog75 likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Mate the penalty things a weird argument, would put Graham Alexander amongst the greats…

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Is it?

I'm just stating the confidence and class he has. He hasn't just smashed it, he's placed it brilliantly with ease both time's..

He's well known for his crossing and assists. Has scored some peaches as well..

He's in his mid 20's, is Croatia's number 1 right back, won a title in 3 different countries and played loads of European football..

It's no slight on Tony, who's been really good all in, Juranovicis simply a a level above..

Can we really judge him on that one game? Just in, a completely alien system to him. Anyone would struggle with it at first..

I think Juranovic will likely continue at left back as well but that isn't because Ange doesn't rate him as our best right back..

NomDePlum likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    A just meant he was a right back that was * hot at penalties.

The most worrying thing there is all the things you mentioned there defending wasn’t one of them.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    He's been fine defensively at left back. I'm sure that wouldn't change much with a run in his natural position..

The reason I've no mentioned it is because Tony is actually a pretty solid defender..

It's the rest where he goes clear for me..

17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He should definitely not just be judged on that one game. Just laying out why I think that Ange using Juranovic to strengthen LB is more likely to continue than dropping Ralston at RB. I believe we are pretty much agreeing with each other @McChiellini.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think Ange doesn't really fancy any of our LBs and will probably look to strengthen there in January.. He does like Taylor tho who plays the way he wants..

Juranovic is rapid and will definitely play more on the right as we go on.. Ralston will play a lot of games too and can be relied upon which is excellent..

Happy to have both as options.

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I get what people are saying about Juranovic but despite the fact I believe long term he will prove he is the better player, Ralston has done zero to deserve to be dropped. He's shown he can play in this system and defensively has been excellent, I can't not admit it. I've always said Im just waiting for his run of form to end but it doesn't seem to be anytime soon.

Its a difficult, but good conundrum to have. Not one I expected either. If you'd said to be 6 months ago that Ralston would be keeping Croatias 1st choice RB out the side I'd have had you sectioned.

20. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Just watched the Unique angle thing that Celtic put up, Ralston is the only one to go over and see if Kyogo was ok after the foul for the penalty, Turnbull sort of taps him on the shoulder to say thanks for the penalty. Ralston is a true fan and one of us playing for the team he loves. I agree with Shelby, he is totally undroppable at the moment.

Liam Scales, reillers88 and Dan Breen like this.