1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Only just seeing that above..

So good from both of them. Proper that..

MacEwan likes this.
  2. thefutebollover

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota and Kyogo
    I’m glad everyone in Scotland is starting to appreciate everything about Ange. The guy is breaking some big barriers for Australian coaches. I hope the good times continue for a long time. Enjoy!

OziBeerMan, TESLA and Rogicisgod like this.
  3. Lewis Kerr

I noticed something about the first goal. When Giakoumakis scores it, every single player in the picture visibly celebrates the goal in their own wee way.

Might seem like not much to some, but that shows the hunger and togetherness of the squad right now. They all want to win and show it when their teammates score.

bagforlife, Keano88, JamesM09 and 8 others like this.
  4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’m loving the entire squad and Ange at the moment. There’s a feeling of unity that I don’t think we’ve had for a long while, even the Rodgers team which was excellent but you had your wee groups within the squad.

This whole team is really fighting for each other. Obviously I want the best for us every year but I don’t think I’ve ever craved it as much as I do for this current squad.

5. MAP

I agree. It's one of the aspects of the game I have really enjoyed, seeing different players from different backgrounds all smiles and chatting away with each other. I suspect a happy, together squad is far more likely to perform better than the alternative (Ntcham would have been a fish out of water in this squad!).

Wee Baldy, Lewis Kerr and martin_d like this.
  6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I think the last few games we are starting to see a bit of pragmatism from Ange, I think he has us boxing clever by keeping things tighter at the back and to run our opponents to the ground before using our superior fitness to go for the kill in the last 20mins or so

Wee Baldy and Hammy89 like this.
  7. Hutcho

I think its a product of the system, as the squad gets fitter they can continue to move the ball and press for longer periods. The faster we move the ball and longer we hold possession the more defensive adjustments it forces the opponents to make. I dont think the attacking instructions have necessarily changed but more opportunities are presenting themselves because the team can follow the instructions for the full 90(5)

Wee Baldy and craigtheceltic like this.
  8. brads-bhoy1888

Anyone noticed his cough? He’s constantly clearing his throat. Hope the big man is ok

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

If you listen carefully its always after a question with a hint of negativity. Then listen closer. He actually coughs "*"

10. AussieGreek

Celtic currently have the best goal difference and the least goals conceded in the Premiership so far.

Not bad for a team who has a manager who "does not prioritise defence/know how to defend/etc etc" despite reassurances from those who know Ange a lot longer and the stats of how defences improved under him when he took over his previous teams.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well, I do have to admit that the defense is looking like a champion team's defense should. Silly mistakes have been cut out (although passing the ball around the backline still gives me fear- it's been the source of hundreds of blunders over the past 7-8 years).

At the moment, I have renewed faith that the title is realistically winnable this season.

12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I know what you mean about passing at the back giving the fear. Particularly when Hart is involved so often. Does feel different somehow from the Rodgers era.

This tweet did make me laugh. Hopefully not too off topic.

13. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That is both funny, and sad. The insistence on keeping possession if no short pass forward is available hurt us in an attacking sense, yesterday. Juranović got annoyed with the passive play, and ended up creating the goal.

14. Scubaroo

It's very much how his Brisbane team developed, once they were fit, you'd watch them and if they weren't leading towards the end you knew it was coming. Opposition's would eventually cave. 2011 grand final is a good source.

15. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Don’t think it hurt us at all. You watch it, one by one, the opposition chase a little bit less until they stop chasing. That opens the space up to have the shot or make the incisive pass. While you have the ball, they don’t, they aren’t scoring and they are expending energy to stop you from scoring.

Take Tuesday’s game as an example. In the first half, Jota broke and Kyogo made a run, Jota couldn’t make the pass because the opposition scrambled to slow Jota down, then the pass wasn’t on. Second half, Jota broke and Kyogo made a run. The difference this time was the opposition didn’t have the energy to close down Jota and we score.

The game v St Johnstone, watch the dirty * Kane stop chasing the ball, it wasn’t long after than we scored.

It’s simple, if you aren’t fit, you’ll eventually pay.

tarboltontim likes this.
  16. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Actually, the first goal was caused by Juranović deciding to take a concrete action, instead of passing the problem off to someone else. Kane is slow, and couldn't really affect our build-up dramatically. If our players fear conducting normal attacks because of him, I shudder to think how will they react to Nisbet?:88:

You talk about fatigue, but if the pace of our passing is slow, and the ball is passed backwards whenever our players think a forward pass is not on, then the opposition basically get a breather, because the ball is far away from their goal. A forward pass forces the opposition to actually react, and step out of position. The more adventurous the pass, the greater disturbance it will cause. Meanwhile, passive possession will only lull our defenders into a false sense of security.

George Theodorou likes this.
  17. Mr Cleansheets

This is actually the essence of angeball. Superior fitness and relentless pressing both with and without the ball.

Passing out from the back is not just about nice triangles to move down the pitch. It's just as much about forcing the opposition to run and get tired...until they stop chasing. Gradually the waves of Celtic pressure are starting higher and higher up the pitch until they become (in theory) unstoppable. A beautiful thing to watch.

The flip side of the coin is that teams have to be very well versed to play that style. To do it really well means letting the opposition think they can win the ball if they just chase hard enough - very difficult to judge until you've got the technique (individual and collective) under pressure to pull it off. There'll be a few more white knuckle rides this season but the signs are very good indeed. A win at Hibs will do a lot for confidence.

Couscous, Dannybhoy81, seanm and 2 others like this.
  18. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Yes but a forward pass doesn’t mean anything if the pass isn’t on. It just results in an interception and it gets cleared upfield, allowing the opposition to rest.

Kane is just trying to disrupt the channel into CalMac. Kane worked hard and did a reasonable job of doing this for the first 20’. But after awhile he gets frustrated chasing shadows and it opens up the middle. So while our forwards and midfielders are making runs, it doesn’t always result in a forward pass because the defenders are working hard. Eventually more than one defender will switch off and there’s an opening.

Stating the obvious, you can’t always pass forward, otherwise eventually you would just be passing the ball into the net each time.

You say that Juranovic takes the initiative. That’s correct, that’s what the system is designed to do, open up space for someone to take the initiative. It’s not about passive passing at the back, that’s being too simplistic. @Scubaroo and @Mr Cleansheets have covered it too.

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A good attacking team must have plans B and C. We should not pull the ball back just because Callum is blocked from receiving it. What do we do if the opposition play two strikers?

I'd like our defenders to take a "gamble" and play forward passes along the ground- into wide players, lofted passes into Rogić (can receive the ball under pressure and shrug off a challenge) or even punts at a target man (Giakoumakis). It nullifies the purpose of the passing lane block, and forces the defenders into hurried reactions. Otherwise, the opposition get to conserve strength when nothing happens in the danger zone. They want us to think a forward pass is not on, and are happy to see us back off, instead of a pass that threatens to create something.

Johnston is awesome because he doesn't care about a safe pass back. He charges at the opposition, doing what is..."not on".

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    George Theodorou likes this.
  20. thefutebollover

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota and Kyogo
    Someone drops to create a back three. This could either be one of the fullbacks starting deeper or the defensive midfielder dropping in between the two central defenders. Check out Man City - Celtic are attempting to play in a similar fashion.

craigtheceltic likes this.