1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Starfelt

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 21, 2021.

Discuss Carl Starfelt in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MusselburghBhoy Gimme danger, little stranger

Fav Celtic Player:
    Momo Sylla
    That’s a fair point. He looks incredibly uncomfortable in possession, but as long as he doesn’t give it away or make mistakes then fair enough I suppose.

martin_d likes this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Padmil mentioned it first to me, but it's glaring that he is very much one footed yet we seem to play him often on his wrong side.

Don't think that helps him at all in being comfortable on the ball, or even making tackles as we seen in his first few games.

However, the backline finally being "settled" in 80% of its positions is helping a lot overall.
    Backline looks less fragile now, albeit with the same obvious issues we know are getting exposed.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

3. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It doesn't really matter how solid he is if he's near enough making a potential costly error every * game

Mickmac, Dan Breen and martin_d like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU might not pop champagne corks for clean sheets, but given the way Celtic’s defence started the campaign, the two shutouts in the last two matches may have been justifiable cause for celebration.

Consecutive 2-0 wins over Motherwell and Ferencvaros have rather taken the fizz out of the consistent criticism that has come the way of the Celtic backline so far this term, though there undoubtedly still remains scepticism among supporters and cynics alike over the new partnership at the heart of Postecoglou’s defence.

Carl Starfelt’s performances in particular have come under scrutiny since the Swedish international arrived at the club from Rubin Kazan, with his early performances for the club falling a little flat with supporters.

According to Postecoglou though, such judgments on his suitability as a Celtic player would not only be wildly premature, but also hugely unfair given the circumstances he was thrown into

The Celtic manager extends that thought process to Starfelt’s partnership with fellow new arrival Cameron Carter-Vickers, and he has praised the pair for their openness to his methods, as well as their willingness to dedicate themselves to improvement within the framework of his team.

Given that dedication, he believes that the upward trend they are starting to show in their performance levels will continue in that positive trajectory.

“I felt for Carl because we threw Carl in and I think he had three or four different centre-halves as partners and he was new himself,” Postecoglou said.

People were judging him on what they saw. I knew there was more in him and I still think there is.

“Cam we just threw in. We signed him on deadline day and virtually threw him into the first team.

“The good thing about Cam is that he’s a real calm character. He’s mature beyond his years. Even though he’s fairly young he has settled in really well.

“The key for both of them is that they want to learn. They want to develop, they want to improve every week. They’re coming in, sitting down with coaches doing the analysis and I think they’re getting confidence from that.”

Postecoglou acknowledges that his football philosophy is also pushing his defenders out of their comfort zones, and therefore contributing to them looking ill at ease on occasion.

“The way we play is not easy for any centre-backs,” he said. “We ask a lot of our centre-backs.

“We ask them to play out from the back and then we’re asking them to squeeze up and be aggressive with our defending.

“It’s a lot easier to play centre-back in other teams I can guarantee you, but they have tackled it and we know there is more to come.

“Part of that is that we’ve shown faith in them and I’ve said to them all along, ‘whatever happens out there, if it doesn’t work, I’m accountable for it, not them’.

“If I saw that, then I would keep encouraging them, and that’s been happening.”

Part of the improvement in the Celtic defence since those early, chaotic days of the season is surely also down to consistency of selection.

Postecoglou has settled on Starfelt and Cameron-Vickers as his default pairing, and while that call may have been harsh on young Stephen Welsh, it seems to be an approach that is bearing fruit.

The Celtic manager is keen to stress though that he has been hugely impressed by Welsh, and sees the 21-year-old as having a bright future at the club. The bigger immediate selection headache may arise when Christopher Jullien finally returns to fitness after the long-term injury that has consigned him to the sidelines since January.

Jullien is back in training and will be pushing for a return to the side within weeks, so does Postecoglou risk upsetting the apple-cart by giving the £7m man an opportunity, or does he stick with the men currently in possession of the jerseys?

For him, while Starfelt and Carter-Vickers are benefitting from their recent run together, the rigours of the season will mean that all four centre-backs – and perhaps five if counting young Dane Murray – will have a significant role to play as the campaign unfolds.

“Stevie Welsh was good when he played earlier [in the season],” Postecoglou said.

“He’s ready to come in at any time. We rate him highly.

“We’ve got young Dane Murray who did well [earlier in the season too]. We’ve got Chris Jullien. It’s not about locking down a couple. What we want to do is create a strong squad and be competitive all over the park.

“But there’s no doubt that, with centre-back partnerships, the more settled you are, the more understanding they have. It helps. It’s good that those two have had a run of games together.”

5. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It’s not the wrong side from a passing perspective though, certainly not in our system. Our two full backs tend to go narrow, so the majority of passes are inside the pitch therefore playing as a right footer on the left side actually opens the game up for him and should make it easier.

For what it’s worth, I think he’s come on to a game recently. Other than the one glaring error towards the end on Tuesday, he played very well. He just comes across as the type of centre back who’s always going to threaten to have a mistake in him.

Dan Breen and Peej like this.
  6. ynwa1987

Yes I think Welsh is considerably more comfortable that Starfelt on the ball his passes are much crisper and he passes behind people less.

Starfelt doesn’t look clumsy on the ball he is clumsy on the ball. Not saying he gives the ball away heaps during games but he doesn’t look assured.

When they played in the same defence together Welsh regularly showed him up

Mickmac and Lewis Kerr like this.
  7. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Welsh isn't exactly Maldini-like in his play but, for me, is much better than Starfelt who just doesn't look up to it at all. He isn't convincing in any area of his game but really struggles with players running at him an taking him on and has an almost Efe Ambrose-style desire to commit a catastrophic mistake each game. The only reason I can think he is a regular starter is the manager hoping he'll somehow come good and justify his price tag.

ynwa1987 and Mickmac like this.
  8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

No he didn’t.

Welsh probably made more errors directly leading to goals than Starfelt did, and that was Starfelt just coming into a new team from another country/league.

Welsh is rightfully on the bench now. He’s okay but will never be good enough to be a regular starter for us.

honda likes this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think we could do better than both Welsh and Starfelt.

I still think a more commanding CB is required..I'm still not 100% happy with our options back there. Watching us line up to defend a free kick in the 2nd half on Tuesday - our side is very small still.

Jullien will help with that I suppose but remains to be seen if he is the same player.

Was watching west ham for instance they have some proper giants in their side and they really utilise it from set pieces. People often like to bring up our ineffectiveness from set pieces and that is without doubt a contributing factor. Feel like we could do with a couple of similar stature to Jullien but more aggressive. For a big guy, he's not that 'angry'.

If i were a decent striker I'd be quite happy lining up against most of our CBs. We need a shithouse, either in there or at the very least defensive mid.

Dan Breen likes this.
  10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Excellent, again.

11. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Superb today. But it's not Starfelt without one dodgy pass lol

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thought he was excellent again.

13. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    His best performance yet and three consistent good games in a row.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Played well. One cut out pass late on aside..

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Other than the obligatory brainfart he did well, hope we will see a pairing of Jullien and CCV.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    When he gave the ball away with that slack pass you really want to see other players give him a rollicking, not enough of that within the team.

17. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Only one dodgy moment but was solid apart from that.

18. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Doesn’t matter if he become as good as Maldini, he is the scapegoat.

He has been good for the last few games and that’s coming from one of his biggest critics on here

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Pablo87 likes this.
  19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Thought he was excellent again, but as @Skelleto said, he's clearly a scapegoat within the support.

Hopefully he continues his form.

thailandceltic and Pablo87 like this.
  20. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Still has a * up in him but hes improved alot lately, fair play.