1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic to face Class Action over Boy's Club abuse

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Colin Robinson, Oct 5, 2021.

Discuss Celtic to face Class Action over Boy's Club abuse in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Some amount of mental gymnastics going on.
    Oddly it’s from the same posters who frequent the Hun thread on here. Coincidence? I think not.
    Type of people who want the club to get away with child abuse under their watch for the sole reason of how it looks to Huns.
    The simple matter of fact is children were raped and this won’t change no matter if the club is ‘legally responsible’ (a disgusting term). This happened at Celtic boys club who for all intents and purposes was our youth set up. The club are morally responsible.
    I see someone has brought up the fact the Huns have been proven not to have reported their abuse to the police like they said they had - is this our attempt at this? “ It wasn’t actually Celtic FC where this happened so we didn’t need to report it or do anything about it”. Trying to wash our hands of this is just as disgusting as the crimes themselves and the reason why child abuse goes on and will always go on - adults turn a blind eye and shirk responsibility at any opportunity they get.
    Nice to see some of you on here have led sheltered lives and will never know the absolute devastation this causes to victims - lifelong mental health problems, addictions, self harm, poverty and more abuse.
    All it would take is for the club to publicly apologise and work with the victims - there doesn’t need to be any grand gestures or scum lawyers getting a new Porsche out of this. Quietly appoint professionals to deal with this, pay any compensation agreed and show that we as a club care about people.
    This will never happen as our club is run by utter scum.
    Every new day is a step closer to me not supporting this club anymore.

2. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them

First of all... If ANY ATTITUDE on here is disgusting bits the one you just expressed.

* rancid.

Comparing fellow fans of the type trying to cover up child abuse to get one over on Huns...

You're a * * son.

Then to go further and make assumptions about people's "shelterd lives". *.
    Absolute *. You don't know a * thing about anyone in these boards. So seriously mate... * do one.

Everything you said AFTER your * rancid behaviour is the same sentiment we ALL share.

But a few * on here are taking shots at people who are merely looking at the situation from a legal standpoint, and are being accused of all sorts.

That's HUN * behaviour.

Westlondonscot and HoopyT like this.
  3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I understand the desire to look at things like charitable donations and foundations instead of compensation, but there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that these victims should be compensated if a legal link is established.

It’s arguable that on a moral basis they should be compensated anyway, but I can understand the club not going there.

4. Mr Cleansheets

Such a difficult subject.

From my perspective this kind of abuse needs to be pushed kicking and screaming into the light and dealt with harshly (for perpetrators) and generously for victims.

I guess the key issue for the club is the association with the Boys' Club and potential liability. Should that be the main issue? Or should the salvation of the victims be the main issue? If the latter, to what extent is that the club's responsibility?

Expecting perpetrators to compensate victims is probably futile - such people (especially if incarcerated) tend to be poorly resourced, so the victims and their lawyers will always target the potential respondent with enough cash to be worth suing.

Did Celtic FC have any sort of control over the Boys Club? If yes, they will be found liable.

If not, do they still have some sort of moral obligation to compensate?

And if they do compensate does that make them look liable - even if they weren't?

I'm guessing that might be the main issue for the club. They possibly think they had no control and have no responsibility for what happened, but any sort of compensation looks like they're admitting that they did. And can you think of anything worse than being regarded as guilty of something as hideous as paedophilia when you really had nothing to do with it?

I guess if they got the message right they could make themselves look really good by paying up and apologising when they have no legal responsibility to do so.

This is all speculation as I don't have a clue about what really happened and the reality of the relationship.

5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This thread was a certainty to get heated, it's such an emotive subject.

My two cents is this: whether or not the club has dragged it's feet in dealing with this (clearly they have), when it becomes a legal matter then they have no choice but to keep their cards close.

I think it's the right move to fight it on legal grounds as the damage it can do has the potential to be huge. And fighting the court action does not mean they have no intention of being sympathetic to the victims. It's so easy for your average tabloid reading, reactionary punter to look at headlines and conclude we're some evil institution that is OK with covering up child abuse, but putting a bit more thought into it tells you that the club is right to protect itself while it's being legally challenged.

Morally it's of course a different story, and once the club is cleared of liability (hopefully) then I think we will see a different approach and an open statement of regret at how things were handled, and more importantly a desire to help the victims not just of Celtic boys club, but society as a whole. It's the kind of thing we are normally right behind. Patience required I'd say.

As for lawyers' agendas, it's always been the same. They see a chance to be involved in a high profile case, where they can improve their professional reputation and obviously improve their bank balance. I just hope it doesn't make things worse for the victims where they've been promised the world but ended up mentally drained because of the long process.

6. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Hit a raw nerve?
    I didn’t say cover up child abuse, you did. I said get away with being legally responsible for the duty of care of children.
    Which correct me if I’m wrong is the stance fannies like you with your ‘separate entity’ pish keep coming out with.
    Why the hoo-ha about the club not being legally responsible for any compensation? You calling anyone Hunnish is best laugh I’ve had all week. Cheers for that.

Fiferbhoy1991 and Valhalla like this.
  7. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Great post.

8. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Another deflection.

Take responsibility for your accusations. You utter *. YOU started accusing posters of hunnery. Then you went on to slate anyone with an eye on the legal ramifications. Now everyone is a *, and how dare I accuse you if the same.

You're absolute * weapon.

Keep finger pointing and point scoring you * cretin, your SJW act has talked yourself into a corner where you're labelling Celtic supporters everything under the sun, without knowing a * thing about their own personal backgrounds or lives.

Compares fellow supporters to Huns, and compares them to "the type to try and get away with child abuse". Then goes EVEN further to tell people they've had sheltered lives, because they've expressed concern about the financial ramifications to the club they love and adore.
    You've balls on you mate, I"ll give ya that. But then again keyboard warriors like yourself often do.

Hit a nerve? * right you did.

You said in a previous post you're close to giving up on Celtic?

Please do.

Or else, do everyone a big favour. Give your opinion, keep your presumptions about peoples lives, your accusations of hunnery and your man on fire routine to yourself.

You're impressing no one.

Oh, you're also a *.

Toodles.

9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    All day THIS.

10. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    What are you on about here? Where did i say anyone was a Hun? Please * quote the post that i have said people are Huns. I said, and i know you have trouble understanding through the red mist, that those who are worried about the club being legally responsible and having to pay compensation are those who worry about the opinion of Huns and frequent the Hun thread. READ. Comprehend.

If caring about people and victims of child abuse over the hammering our reputation is taking due to this makes me an SJW then i am. Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Yes, it's all about the money. Compensation of a few hundred thousand will ruin the club :55:

Absolute state of you here. Rather than raging and accusing me of saying things i didn't calm down a bit and go read a post properly. Calling me names and the like yet i'm the keyboard warrior? :56: What a state to get into

Valhalla likes this.
  11. Mr. Slippyfist

What the actual * is wrong with you lot?

Get a grip ffs!

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mate it just makes me uneasy that the club have basically sitting back and hoping that a judge/jury can’t find a little bit of paper that says we were in an official partnership with the boys club.

For me? This is our board being what they are. They simply do not care about the victims. They only care about not having to pay a couple of million in compensation.

If it came out from the start that the victims weren’t looking for compensation, or that the club had no obligation to pay any compensation then I think the board would have a totally different outlook. They’d be out in the press trying to lead this inquiry to try and look like it was them who sorted it out etc. No doubt in my mind this is simply about a few million quid to the board. Nothing about criminality or protecting the clubs name.

Find it bizarre this is the one and only thing a fair amount of supporters seem to defend the board on.

FrankMcCallum and Senna s1979 like this.
  13. joemc

*, why do some people not get it on this thread , this is a legal matter and as such the club will have the best lawyer available, control will be taken away and the club will be instructed on matters regarding.
    We all hate lawyers for this reason, they make money out of misery and pain ,but wot I don't really understand is why some "supporters" want the club to "do the right thing " they can only do the right thing after the proceedings and how the judge sees fit, morality has no place in court or outside when lawyers are involved .
    The people that feel we should be paying compensation before a ruling don't make sense, unless you are closely affected in some way, then I understand that thinking even if wrong .
    Others wanting the same have other reasons , I love our club ,I don't want us to be guilty of anything and so by this thinking ,I don't want us to pay compensation to show we are .

14. Mr Cleansheets

A Law Society survey of a few years back suggested that most people thought all lawyers were scum... except for their lawyer.

joemc likes this.
  15. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i think some celtic fans just want an easy answer to this and want the club to look after the abused boys club players, i can, everyone can understand that sentiment however i dont think people really realise that a movement of compensation or an act of contrition by celtic director or employee can be used by judges to determine guilt in the absense of hard proof!

this is a civil case the evidence doesnt need to be foolproof all it needs is a slight admission or act of sympathy towards victims from a high up celtic empoyee director or someone with authority of speaking for the club in the past to win this for the complainants/lawyers

i dont think anyone here wouldnt want celtic to help the people abused and traumatized by this, and i believe the club will anyway if celtic are deemed not responsible but before the trial to act in a way that could jeapordize the very existence of celtic would be wrong by the board unless that is they know they are liable to what went on

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This is something I don’t get at all. @Senna s1979 summed it up perfectly for me.

It’s coming across that you don’t want us to pay compensation because it makes us look guilty, even if we are guilty. It’s * disgusting tbh.

Why the * do people care how it ‘makes us look’? I would say the way we’ve handled it all is a worse ‘look’ than actually dealing with it years ago.

17. joemc

No ......,I don't want us to pay compensation as that would mean we are guilty and this can only happen if found guilty , it's the suggestion that we pay now that is totally baffling , I understand this coming from someone who suffered as part of this ,or rangers fans not ordinary fans .
    Why is it disgusting to let the court decide ?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Devils advocate here, what if the day in court and vindication for what we owe morally towards them is proven in court as more than just a moral obligation but a legal one, and justice for them?

19. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Guys I want to make this abundantly clear, accusations of members being huns, or alluding to the same fact, or likening them to huns is going to end up with bans being dished out.

Can I also make it clear that using terms that are known to be derogatory towards those with mental incapacity, the likes of "mongo, *, spazzy etc" are also prohibited and as such will be met with a ban.

If you can't debate your difference of opinion in a civilised manner without name calling then please keep your thoughts to yourself.

20. saltire78

Ok, having read the comments on this now, I now understand what Hangman was talking about to my initial post. Absolutely, I did not mean to trick the victims of the abuse, they're 100% innocent in this whole thing, and have in my opinion been treated terribly throughout. As I stated, I separate the clubs official position from that of the fans, because I believe if the fans had their say that this would've been resolved years ago.

The 'trick' I was referring to was just a figure of speech, not some plan of action. It refers to avoiding the lawyers and haters using a genuine gesture to help the victims as a means to crucify the club financially and in regards our current image Vs historical wrongdoing