1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Josip Juranovic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 21, 2021.

Discuss Josip Juranovic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic expect Josip Juranovic to be available ahead of next week's Ferencvaros clash in the Europa League.

The defender was forced off during the Hoops' draw with Dundee United at Parkhead back in September.

That hamstring problem he suffered has kept him out of action since as he missed games against Bayer Leverkusen and Aberdeen.

And it could see him sitting out further for Ange Postecoglou's men against Motherwell this weekend.

However Football Scotland understands the Croatian right-back will be back in time for next Thursday evening's European tie at home to the Hungarian outfit.

Celts' last outing against Ferencvaros came early last season when they were papped out the Champions League qualifiers early doors in a 2-1 home defeat.

Juranovic joined Celts this summer from Legia Warsaw and thus far has been forced to play at left-back opposed to his traditional right-sided preference.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Pleased he’s not going to be out for too long. One of those players where you see his quality immediately.

neilly1987, eire4 and HoopyT like this.
  3. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye I think he's gonna do really well for us.

neilly1987 likes this.
  4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sounds like he is still going to miss tomorrow which is a shame but hopefully he is able to come through Thursday ok as we need him fully fit going forward. His quality is very clear to see IMHO.

5. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Would be great to see the bhoy in his natural position.
    As much as Ralston hasn't really put a foot wrong juranovic is a few levels above.

eire4 likes this.
  6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No question IMHO that is spot on. Juranovic looks like a very good player for sure at the quality level we are looking at. Ralston has done really well and clearly shown shown he can be a valuable back up in the squad but that is it for me. At least we have that position sorted it seems. Left back ouch that is a whole different story.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He has far more quality, I’m not 100% convinced he’s more dangerous yet though. I’m happy we have both, that are very different options. We need the same on other areas of the pitch.

8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Need him back, just in case we get a penalty.

merthyn, mayo and gazb1888 like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Unlikely we’ll need him domestically then.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Looked off it first half but grew in to the game as it went on. That first touch out the air second half as well. Ooft..

Love how composed he is with both his penalties now. Should never be off them from now on..

Get him on the right on Wednesday Ange..

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    That's how you take a penalty.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    NomDePlum likes this.
  15. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Now lets get him on corners.

King Kwon, MAP and martin_d like this.
  16. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Desperately need a LWB and get Jura back into his natural position - absolutely wasted playing on the left.

martin_d and alex_bhoy like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

WHEN Josip Juranovic was brought to Celtic in the summer, few would have pegged him as a potential penalty taker, or indeed an auxiliary left-back. And yet, these are the roles the Croatian international finds himself fulfilling in these early days of his Celtic career.

The 26-year-old is happy to contribute wherever he can though, and while there may have been a few eyebrows raised when he stepped up to smash home the penalty Celtic were awarded in their Europa League tie against Real Betis, he followed that up with another assured spot-kick against St Johnstone at the weekend.

How exactly did he bring manager Ange Postecoglou’s attention towards his proficiency from 12 yards, then?

“In the past at my first club when I was starting out in football I was the penalty taker,” Juranovic said.

“After that though I became a right-back. I took maybe three at my old club and scored them.

“Against Real Betis, just before we travelled we had a training session, and the coach said to me that I was one of four players who would practice penalties.

“We shot three each, I scored all of mine, and the other players all missed one. So, because of that I am on penalties.”

On the question of his position, Juranovic is honest enough to admit that while he is happy to comply with his manager’s instructions, he feels right-back is where he produces his best.

That being said, he is thriving with the unique demands being placed upon him as a full-back on either side by Postecoglou, and he says the licence the Celtic players have to switch positions is leaving their opponents chasing shadows.

“My position is a right full-back, but I can play on the left as well,” he said.

“Whatever the manager says, that is where I will play, It doesn’t matter to me which position.

“I’m happy to be in the team, and I will help the team to achieve our goals this season.

“I feel I can give more as a right-back, but when I am at left-back I feel that Tony (Ralston) and me play really well together. And it’s good to have that competition in the team.

“I like this system because I am always on the ball. I can go into the middle, I always have one player behind me, but I can also go up with Jota on the left side or with Liel Abada or Kyogo on the right.

“The system is really good. For instance, at left-back, I can go in as a number 10 and then David Turnbull will come and play as the left full-back at times. We are always supporting each other.

“In the first game against Real Betis I could see the opposition players waving their hands and pointing to say ‘this guy is yours’ or ‘no, he’s yours’. They didn’t know where to go or which position to defend.

“It’s a really good system.”

The next test of that system comes tonight at Easter Road against Hibernian, but having won their last four games, keeping clean sheets in their last three, and having negotiated two tricky away ties at Aberdeen and Motherwell recently, Celtic travel to Edinburgh in confident mood.

“We are very happy that we are playing again,” Juranovic said.

“I think when we play three games in one week it’s very exciting for the players, and if we continue playing like we have been and think about ourselves, then we can achieve a lot this season.

“The clean sheets are the most important thing for us defenders, and Joe Hart behind us as well who is one of our leaders.

“Every game is tough, but we are concentrating on ourselves and giving everything on the pitch.

“If we do that, then at the final whistle we are confident we will go home happy.”

Liam Scales, Taz and NomDePlum like this.
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Every player interview mentions Harts leadership, anyone else noticed that?

20. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I love his confidence when he takes the penalties. Let’s hope he keeps on slotting them away