1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Celtic

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 30, 2021.

Discuss Aberdeen 1 - 2 Celtic in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sin

Scottish and living in The Netherlands for 21 years now. :)

Nah I can't get to any games at the moment, a lot going on at home.

Belgian_lad likes this.
  2. Belgian_lad

Not by any chance are u the lad who went to Patagonia with his son? Used to give some hiking tips to a Scottish Celtic fan living in the Netherlands on twitter.

3. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Checked some video clips of Barkas playing for AEK. May give an idea why Barkas has struggled at Celtic.

Excellent reflexes and spring to palm away shots at goal.
    What really stood out was his ground work blocking shots with both feet, body and hands. Most notable was his confidence coming out to meet attacking players and block their vision of the goal and saving the shots. Very rarely did he remain on his goal line to defend.

The game in Scotland and in Greece varies from what I see.
    In Greece it tends to be a counter-attacking game based on a strong defense, with attackers coming down the middle and the channels rather than having orthodox wingers on both sides.

In Scotland wing play is admired and expected, with high crosses into the box and low crosses also. As a consequence the positioning of the keeper is crucial and would need to alter to suit the local game and have him playing close to and on his goal line.

kramer1 likes this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The style of play and country it’s played in is immaterial. Barkas is never a Celtic goalkeeper in a million years. End of story.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Come on now Paul, for £5m you can’t expect a goalkeeper to know how to adapt to different systems now can you? Poor guy is used to the ball coming through the middle now it’s from out wide. Of course that is going to confuse him, even Buffon in his pomp would have struggled with such witchcraft.

George Theodorou and PaulM1888 like this.
  6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    He is a terrible shot stopper full stop, the goal against Midtjylland sums him up

George Theodorou likes this.
  7. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    How do transfers work ? Does the club get all the money or does the player get a percentage of that transfer fee ? What is the cut for the player's agent if he has one ?

Barkas clearly is not suited to Celtic or anyone in my opinion at present given what we have seen from him overall this season. He does need to go ASAP and I have said this since day one. Ange gave him his chance and the guy is not up to it.

Was curious how his form dropped so badly once he came to Celtic . Did not get to see last season's games.

8. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I think special would be a Livingston forward scoring 26 goals in the SPL in the one season and being the top scorer for that year- and being relegated in the same year.
    I would call that forward special in that he has been scoring against teams above his own on the ladder. There are 12 teams in the SPL.
    There are more teams in the Eredivisie as you well know and many strong and famous clubs as well. That League is also of a higher standard than the SPL.

That is why I expect Giakoumakis will be a special player for Celtic.