1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic to face Class Action over Boy's Club abuse

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Colin Robinson, Oct 5, 2021.

Discuss Celtic to face Class Action over Boy's Club abuse in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. john2061

Like any place of work like a school or a nursery or a boys club it's their responsibility to have any new employee vetted for background checks and if any person abused a child then the company that hired him have to take responsibility as well .
    We have heard the story of stein getting rid of torbett why was it the Celtic manager job to do this and the elephant in the room is who was responsible in bringing him back to the boys club and if we find out it was a board member then I think the victims will win their case .

Paul Kennedy likes this.
  2. saltire78

The time to resolve this was immediately after the first winning court case, when it was ruled we had no liability. At that stage we could have said we didn't have to do anything, but wanted to because it was right. We could have picked a reasonable compensation (not just cash, by the way!), have legitimately gotten non-disclosure agreement and gagging clauses and closed out any options for group action from the initial recipients again in future.

As usual though, the club assumed it had taken an easy out for * all and buried it's hands in it's pockets... Taking a moral high ground never crossed the board's mind. Times have since changed and this is gonna cost us a * fortune now, and I've no doubt we'll be found liable under CURRENT law. They'd be daft to settle when they can get their pound of flesh in response to their historical slights... And besides which, if club had really been doing 'much more' behind the scenes I doubt we'd still have such animosity from them, so it feels a bit like comeuppance really...

Artorias likes this.
  3. Celticbhoy97

We will need to take any ruling and rightly so on the chin, get this chapter of dark history past us for good.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  4. saltire78

On another bizarre note... If we're liable for a group that was connected to us by association, does that mean we/they have a case against SFA for never laying down a policy or regulating these types of bodies? Not trying to obfuscate, just wondering how this whole thing plays in terms of chasing it all the way...

Liam Scales and oh bhoy like this.
  5. oh bhoy

why would we be in any way responsible for what went on in a different organization

6. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Because the organisations, despite being different entities, were very closely linked.

As has already been stated that might get us out of any legal obligation to compensate, but it doesn't make what went on OK or mean that the club should turn a blind eye to it.

You're making it seem like there was no link whatsoever, and I think even you know that's nonsense. It's the wrong attitude to have. I'm disappointed with the club, but the current board are so balance sheet driven and detached from reality that it unfortunately doesn't surprise me.

Artorias and Hammy89 like this.
  7. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    That close link will have given the abusers more legitimacy and therefore more power/sway to groom or coerce the victims. In general terms the boys club would have been considered part of the club.

Someone said it before, after the trial that said we had no obligation the club should have gone out its way to set something up, compensation, counselling and support.

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. oh bhoy

there is no 'might' about it ,its a different organization there is no legal grounds whatsoever.its disgusting what happened but this lawsuit looks to be like a bunch of lawyers threatening to drag celtics name through the mud for a pay out.
    i can only guess that they aint going after thoes that carried out the abuse or the sfa (who it would seem to be more responsible) because they are hoping for more money ,so the right thing to do or any morality questions end right there

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  9. KingArtur'1

Reap what you sow i guess. Past boards failures and current board failure of trying to bury it and claim the boys club was seperate. Should be held accountable end of story. Its the right thing to do

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It’s not a claim, it’s a fact. That doesn’t mean for me that we aren’t morally obligated towards the victims.

11. JamesM09

I’d like to see the club pay something out to the victims regardless of the result of the case.

saltire78 and The Phoenix like this.
  12. Mr. Slippyfist

As far as I’m aware, the lawyers are going down the road of “Corporate liabilty” - therefore will be stating a case that both the club(company) and the BC were intrinsically linked.

Now, without knowing the absolute details, I’m quite sure there is no “parental” link or anything of the sort, but what I’m wondering is there any LEGAL link to be made through a sort of “unofficial” link which there most certainly was.

Regardless of the legal ins/outs, what happened during a large period was deplorable and unthinkable - my heart goes out to the poor victims of these heartless evil monstrous * that had no place on this earth nevermind in charge of an institution that was supposed to be catered for the betterment of children, not the mental and physical ruination.

If Celtic PLC have a case that there is no legal precedent were they were culpable for this crimes taking place, then that’s their prerogative to defend themselves, however there’s a definite case that since there were “links” - they should have absolutely offered some sort of victim package even if nothijg more simple than to try and offer some support as something that human beings would do.

All in all, a horrendous setting whatever way, but mostly for the poor children that suffered so horribly.

13. KingArtur'1

Fact or not wont matter imo the club will be held accountable and rightly so. Anyone who thinks the club should try and get out of this is wrong. Its embarrassing enough the club has taken this long to even apologize for it. Pay the money and get on with it wether that be financially crippled or not the blame lies at the door of celtic for trying to avoid it from day dot

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It will really matter in legal terms mate, which is why we’re all saying morally the club have an obligation to the victims.

15. KingArtur'1

We need to take it on the chin and do the right thing or it will forever rumble on.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This

Think the club have been really poor in dealing with this.

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. Mr. Slippyfist

This is the question though, what constitutes any “moral obligation” that we may/may not owe?

We as a club, I’m sure, were of the first in the Uk to introduce substantial safeguarding measures of protection with all staff, we have made a public apology, the perpetrators have been dealt with in court, what else is there except offering money - even though it might be found that it had hee haw to do with us the crimes of individuals?

Only way that will be the case is if it becomes an absolute fact that the likes of Mr Kelly (who was financially linked with Torbett in side business, and under no illusion a personal friend) can be proven that he either knew there was molestation going on, or that he was actively involved in it.

18. horseshoe

Any sort of payout to victims would be seen as an admission of guilt/liability, because why else would you pay out over something that's not your responsibility? Even if people do feel it's the right thing to do because of coaches past connections to the club, I'd imagine any legal advice we get on the issue from anyone would be strongly against it, because it could invite more cynical people/lawyers to come after the club because there's money in it, rather than the actually going after the abusers.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If this was the case then I imagine our lawyers would be emphasising that as the entities are separate we have no legal obligation and take no direct responsibility for the actions that happened but that we apologise for the credence that any affiliation between CFC & CBC gave to the perpetrators of the heinous crimes.

Then state we were ringfencing a compensation package that would be paid out, inviting claims to be reviewed by an independent group - detached from the PLC - and payments would be made under this.

We are clearly being advised by solicitors not to make overt admissions of responsibility which could then be used against us in future cases. Hopefully a resolution can be found for all parties and one that allows the victims to move on with their lives with more peace.

20. Cringer67

Sadly, an admission of guilt from the club would be corporate suicide. It would be open season on the club. The lawyers will have already made sure those in charge are fully aware of the repercussions. Whole thing is such a mess.

Fontaine likes this.