1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Kiro Kompiro

Just a point about the criticism for playing Rogic and Turnbull together, the insinuation being he doesn't know that's a problem.

“To be fair to Tom and David Turnbull, they’ve carried a tremendous load since the start of the season because we just haven’t had the options in midfield,

It also suggests he doesn't really have high regard for Soro, Bitton and even McCartney.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I can see why. Now * sides are pressing us, leaving space for attack instead of a wall. We just don't posses the skills yet to pass out properly to take advantage for the space thats left.

Doing it against your good European teams however... no for me, but can't say iv ever seen is with so many should have scored moments tbh.
    Can see us putting a good few by a really good team, again boils down to defence. Julien back, a proper left back and a good CDM and then I can see it paying off and coming away with some good wins. Just not against your psg etc... ill be * myself for those.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Even domestically away from home it hasn't been that good..

Didn't create a lot today. Second half we had 1 chance to their 6 until we got the late winner..

Away at Livi was torture and the only realy chance I remember was Ajeti second half..

Diets away we were robbed of going 2-1 up but we didn't create loads again that day for the possession we had..

Played quite well at the Huns and deserved at least a draw on chances. Manager got the personnel wrong there..

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Needed 3 points today.

I'm not sold on the style still though. And we still look powderpuff defensively at times.

Main thing was we won.

5. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Choices

A - I have a system I like. I will force it upon those who cannot play it because its my system and its great.

B - I have a squad of players. I should understand and study them and develop a system that suits them and the league they play in for optimum results.

Angeball will end in tears.

6. FairDinkumMate

Bielsa has a system he likes and I never thought Leeds would cope with it. Ange is obviously no Bielsa but system he’s trying to implement is used by many clubs. I think he underestimated just how bad a defence he has across the whole back four and CDM. Hoofing the ball forward will only see the ball come back even faster and that defence just won’t cope. Playing it from the back draws opposition and created space further up the field. Thought he should’ve put Rogic on earlier last night, it was clear Turnbull couldn’t put proper forward pass.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    OziBeerMan likes this.
  7. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Passing short at the back is painful to watch and dangerous. One slip or delay and we are a goal down . Tactically I can not see how it can be wise that far back. The point is to score goals, not give chances to concede goals.

It's like holding a red-hot poker at arm's length and then, for no real reason, raising it close to your face. One slip or bump or too close and you are maimed for life !

8. JamesM09

You can play out from the back without putting Ralston at CM.

We’re also one of the worst teams I’ve ever seen playing out from the back. There’s really no excuse for it at this point. I’m not saying it should be perfect but it shouldn’t be as bad as it is. It’s arguably getting worse.

It costs us at least as much possession as hoofing it would, except it’s always in a dangerous position.

HenriksRightBoot likes this.
  9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    At one point in the first half we were playing out deep from the back and either CCV or Starfelt had the ball looking to pass ahead with an Aberdeen forward facing that player. Instead of offering himself for the ball or taking an angle to recieve the pass, Bitton was standing behind the forward, ball watching and not offering himself ! My jaw dropped. Inept and lack of focus.
    With the goal we conceded, Bitton needed to keep his eye on the ball, attack it and head it out, given he had the better height. It did not happen, he was bundled, and they scored. What does he see as his role in the team ? Casual observer ?

We concede too many goals from set pieces, especially corners . Hart is rivetted on his goal line too often, and needs to time his leap to punch the ball away by assisting his defenders with his height and reach.

10. MAP

Fixed that for you.

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It really is that simple.

I reckon most of us here were aware that his approach to the game would cause issues if he were to stick to it religiously even before he joined. Even domestically, teams look like they’ve sussed out our vulnerabilities already.

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    He literally cannot bolster it for another 3 months.

Continue in our current form and the league will pretty much be a formality at that stage.

13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I believe a manager has every right to hold a player accountable for repeated mistakes on the pitch, especially when goal scoring chances are fluffed every week, Also crosses or corners that need to be penetrating and dangerous turn out to be as weak and ineffective as a weak * stream from a pensioner. We should not have only one designated corner kick taker.

Imagine Jock Stein putting up with stuff like that ? He would be tearing strips off players and getting others to take their place. There are limited chances to score in a game and they need to be maximised.

Kiro Kompiro likes this.
  14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Who should he get rid of in January window.
    Who should and could he bring in in the January window.
    Is there any free agent he could/should bring in now..

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The midfield and current full backs can't cope or aren't cut out for his system..

That's the worry, he brought Bitton in yesterday and immediately we were slower at moving the ball.

16. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don’t think we should be getting rid of anyone come January unless it’s people like Barkas/Bolingoli and even then, I’d be tempted to keep Bolingoli.

We need another LW, we need another striker in the Kyogo mould, we need a energetic midfielder to replace Christie and a ball winning centre midfielder. We also need a left back.

17. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    22 number 1 singles how can he not rate him?

18. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Exactly this.

Yes, he has not been adequately backed. But that doesn´t mean he shouldn´t act accordingly.

It´s painfully obvious that the current squad isn´t cut out for Angeball. Stating that isn´t the same as calling for his head, I´m just waiting for him to realize this. There are no two ways about it, he must adapt and double quick.
    Trying the same set-up over and over while hoping it will click eventually, is not the mark of a great manager. On the contrary in fact, it´s just arrogance.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Know your enemy if you wish to defeat him.

I did not think much of Rangers as a team when we lost to them 1-0. We lost to a goal from a set piece and not from open play . In fact we concede many goals from set pieces and that needs to be attended to ASAP.

I have changed my opinion since I watched them play against Sparta Prague away and lost 1-0.

What Rangers now do they do well . You can see that Gerard has them playing like a second- string Liverpool side that he may have been raised in. The players do not seem to be very skilled as such but they are well drilled and fit and on the same wave length and play as a unit all over the park.
    They do not dribble with the ball or keep it at their feet for long, and move it quickly forward, playing 1-2 touch football and thus by releasing the ball, do not get tackled often. They look to gain free kicks by pretending to be fouled when in a tackle. Players look to create space moving through midfield and attack.

Their weak point is not being able to build up their attacks from the back if their defenders are pressed early and regularly.
    Impressed with their fullback with the French sounding name. Takes great free kicks.

They also lift their game even more in the second half. If they lose the midfield contest then they are for the taking.

This is what Celtic needs to deal with in my opinion.

scootz and Mr Hoopy like this.
  20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not really- the opposition aren't usually good enough to put us under immediate pressure if we hoof it to them. Hoofing is at the moment, a better option than passing out from the back.

In fact, a 4-2-4 formation would be great. Kyogo will chase, and Giakoumakis can fight in the air. Defense plays quick, and direct.