1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Recruitment Question

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr Shelby, Jun 11, 2021.

Discuss The Recruitment Question in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He talks jobbies

2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On

3. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Nurse Ratched, I think it's medication time for this member

cat123, Rydo1888* and The Prof like this.
  4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

One of my all time fav movies lol, if we have any aspirations to win the League the Board have to push the boat out this time, do the right thing and fully back the manager. :50:

cat123 and Wee Baldy like this.
  5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Most important recruitment issue for me is coaches-and get shot of laptop and JK.
    We are crying out for a set piece coach. Also, things like throw ins, defensive coach.
    Ange does appear to be hands on but he needs to surround himself with more competent people. Damian Duff seemed a good fit a while back.
    I just feel we wont turn corner till them 2 clowns are canned, along with a core of toxic players.

Foley1888 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  6. Foley1888

I think Ange has already said he will be looking to at least add to the backroom staff. I think we are that much of a * show behind the scenes he hasn’t had the time to attend to that yet as he seems to be pretty much leading the transfer effort which will be different from his time in Japan.

The best signing this club can make post the transfer window is a Director of a football/ sporting director to take some of that burden off Ange and let him focus on getting the team in to shape. Yeah he should have final say on transfers and feed targets in but he needs someone to help share the workload.

The same goes for coaches our head of sports science left and as far as I can remember hasn’t been replaced so given how important fitness and recovery is to Ange’s system getting that right has to be a priority too.

Back on the recruitment if we are to be left as threadbare as it looks like we are going to be then getting that person and a set up in imminently is going to be imperative to having targets already practically in the door before January comes. Markets like Japan and the Scandinavian countries who have summer leagues need to be targeted for good deals and snapped up to come in during the winter break and familiarise themselves with how Ange wants to play. Even further out we need to be considering who is out of contract at the end of this year and be actively working to secure bosman agreements and where they are needed cheap deals for early release, not wasting a full window trying to sign Ben Davies to get let down a day before the window shuts for the sake of £1m or 2.

7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Recruitment still hasnt been near good enough.
    Another window where failure to have targets secured by the beginning of competitive games, the overall strategy has left us playing catch up in both domestic and european fronts.

Even with two out and two in today, our overall squad is still weaker and has less depth.

Its still very alarming how our club is being run in this way.

8. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    You wonder why we bring Ange in with his system, yet sign players that dont fit that system.

Will january be any different? I dont see Ange being as patient with the board this jan

9. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Being serious when I say our scouting team should be lined up and shot.

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Thought I would bump this one.

I made it back in early June last year and at the time had said I didn't want us to focus on the Asian Market TOO much as I was afraid the players would take a while to acclimatise - how wrong I was! I think over the piece, our recruitment has been sensational. The success rate with such a large amount of new players is staggering in all honesty and of the likes I don't think many of us have seen at celtic. Certainly in recent times.

Anyway, it's something I've been pondering last few weeks. I know ange has obviously hand picked 4 from Japan but I'm interested as to who presented the likes of O'Riley or Abada for example.

Years gone by we knew that guys like John Park were chief scout etc...do we know any names inside the club now?

I also have to imagine that Ange has grander plans for our recruitment strategy. Would love to know what is murmuring in the background, as he hasn't had much chance to think about it since walking in the door!

Interesting to look back on my initial thoughts though :giggle1:

Peej and Damnati like this.
  11. saltire78

Jesus! A quick glance back into this thread is mind-blowing! The animosity about the signings, the setup and what won't work without changes is almost to a single post wrong so far...

12. Lewis Kerr

It's crazy to think how weak we were in June and July. The squad was in such a diabolical state and our best players were actively looking to leave. Most of us were quite rightly half dreading the season and competing for the title was a laughable notion. The odds were heavily stacked against us to make the Europa League as well, let alone the CL.

Looks increasingly likely that Dom McKay was a * idiot and nowhere good enough to be in that position. Remember Ange repeatedly calling out the board's lack of urgency? What a joke appointment.

I keep saying it but Ange has literally worked miracles here.

13. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    :56:This thread man.

Oh how things have changed. Looking at the squad that was posted up in here back in early July and how different and how much better it is now, it’s extraordinary.

Extraordinary recruitment. Not just in respects to talent, but in respects to the type of person. When you look at Eddy and Cham, my * it’s good to see those attitudes gone.

14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

here mate, got the lottery numbers as well?

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Excellently put and think a lot of us will be feeling similar in relation to the summer and how we feel/look st the recruitment today.

For me, still a long long way to go with the behind the scenes stuff, we are clearly leaning heavily towards letting Ange do his thing. Which is fine for the short term, but long term we need to get the recruitment staffing back in shape, because Ange won't be here forever.

As for the players, I think some are still unfortunately board/Desmond signings. McCarthy and scales are prime examples of this.
    At first I thought O'Reily was going to be the same, but the immediate inclusion of the guy and the impact he's having, I think it's safe to say this one is more than likely an Ange signing.
    My reasoning is looking to McCarthy and scales, who seldom get game time and aren't actively being helped in to the side.

I think when you look at how Ange is as a manager and how he does his own scouting using his own database/research (wyscout?) You can tell what players are his by how quickly they are fitting in to the side. The 4 Japanese players are obvious (well guchi aside as we haven't seen enough yet) that they are guys he knows very well and knows exactly how they will fit in to the team.
    O'Reily seems to be the product of Ange now doing his scouting/searching in our neck of the woods.

Think going in to the summer window we may see some more signings of this type, and I'm all for it.

It's the outgoings I'm intrigued most about, what we keep and who goes, then how much does Ange get to push the squad on.

I don't think we will need to be spending too much here on out, some obvious positions need fixed still, mainly left back and a back up keeper. But overall I think Ange ability to clearly know his style and required players, along with his extensive research in to players, will make new signings a breeze. Folk will want to play for this guy and he's identifying players he knows will hit the ground running.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Mr Shelby likes this.
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Only real bad signing was McCarthy, and he was the one everybody was excited about!

Hatate, Oriley, Kyogo, Jota, CCV, Juranovic, Starfelt, Maeda and Abada are all fantastic signings that add so much to the team, and the likes of Scales, Ideguchi and Giakoumakis all bring sone different when they play.

buchanbhoy and Rydo1888* like this.
  17. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Disagree, I think everyone knew McCarthy was finished and not worth the money.

Dan Breen and scuzzy like this.
  18. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    I still cannot believe that somebody was naïve enough to to offer him a 4 year deal.

Dan Breen likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Signed loads of assets when it started to look like we were running out of them..

Nothing short of remarkable the kinda player's we've got in in such a short space of time and almost all of them have contributed massively already..

For the first time since * knows when, we've started singing player's that suit the manager's system to a tee and are also humble and hungry to do well..

Long may it continue..

ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  20. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Not anyone that has watched him play for ROI.