1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Adam Montgomery

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Feb 27, 2021.

Discuss Adam Montgomery in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Needs to learn how to use his right peg

2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Another young talent that's going to be absolutely ruined because he's playing way too early and out of position. * shambolic and I feel sorry for him.

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

He wasn't registered for Europe.

Although in hindsight we should have played him and took the 3-0 loss :56:

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Think he's better further up the pitch, not a LB for me.

MusselburghBhoy and martin_d like this.
  5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Ideally he would be out on loan, but I'm not buying this argument that he's playing too early. Yes loaning him out would be more beneficial but he's 19, not 16. If he's going to be good enough he should be able to show that, at least in flashes, right now.

In terms of his position. I don't think he's a winger at all. Not at our level anyway. He's not quick enough or good enough on the ball to play as a winger.

Valhalla likes this.
  6. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    He is playing too early at this level.. he is no where near ready like Welsh.. its ridiculous they are being asked to play these games, no two ways about it..

As for position, what position was he playing last night? Ange is asking him to play some sort of hybrid left back come winger come whatever the * he's asking our full backs to do.. A full international with bags of experience would probably struggle with what's been asked of him never mind a younster..

Scales or Boli should of started.. his bad performance, that's on Ange not Monti IMO

MusselburghBhoy likes this.
  7. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    That's the most annoying thing about this. He should be on loan at Partick Thistle or something, learning how to defend and toughening himself up.

He shouldn't be someone that we have to rely on being in our starting 11 twice a week.

martin_d likes this.
  8. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Florian Wirtz is 18. Just an example from our game. I'm sure it's possible to find a whole host of players who played in Europe who are under 20. If anything we don't expose our young enough at this level to see if they have real quality

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Welsh is 21, nearly 22. If he isn't ready now it's because he's not good enough, not because of his age.

And it's not just this level, against Leverkusen. Montgomery was rotten at the weekend against Dundee United and he's been completely ineffective in a number of other domestic games. I like his attitude and he's not a bad player, but I just don't know what he's supposed to be particularly good at.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This is it. The idea that 19 and 21 year olds are too young is nonsense. Tierney was our first choice left back at 18. McGeady was a regular at 18.

Dundee United had a 16 year old at centre half the other day and he helped them to a draw at Celtic Park.

Mr. Slippyfist, James and Gabriel like this.
  11. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    As someone above pointed out, monty needs dipped in and out of the first team this season, much like Abata and even Jota.

But we dont have the players to do that. We cried out for left back of the pedegree of juranovic has on the right, and he didnt cost the earth. Yet we sign scales and keep boli, now scales could be a good player, and i hope he is. But by all accounts hes not ready yet, and Boli carries too much baggage quite litterly.

Least if we get forrest and MJ fit, i know i know, we can rest Jota and Arbata. I see Forrest as first choice RW anyway.

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    When has he looked promising? The only thing he had going for him was we hadn’t seen him play in the first team and Taylor was our first choice LB.

James likes this.
  13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Only in Scotland could 19 be too young to play first team football :giggle1:

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Being harsh on the lad if you don't think he's looked promising at all.

He young and nowhere near the level we need him to be, but he's showing something about his game that there is a player to be coached.

If we had coaches.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The Prof likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    This is part of the problem
    He's got to 19 and only just getting a chance, in the last season where he should have made some appearances, we didn't bother.
    We never have coaches in place to help develop these kids.

Same for Welsh, 21 before he for a break.
    Mental.

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Genuinely, when has he looked promising?

I’ve seen literally nothing to suggest he’s going to make it at any sort of decent level.

As someone else mentioned, Dundee United had a 16 in a far tougher position who was outstanding against us.

I don’t see a single positive attribute he has. Taylor is light years ahead of him and we know how * he is.

17. rickyroma25

What's ridiculous imo is that we don't have a youth setup that develops players who can be trusted in games like this. Youth players around Europe don't get treated with kid gloves anymore. By the age of 19-20 they should be ready to contribute. It needs ripped up.

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

Our youth development is non existent we only call on youth as a total last resort. Look at Karamoko he must be due a testimonial soon there has been huge hype about him for years he's 18 now and played only a handful of games anywhere else he would have a played a lot more

19. Maestro 08

Agree with this but when u look at the win or bust nature of things here, you can understand why managers are very reluctant to take the time to bring young players through. Any youth generally has to be exceptional and hit the ground running and you get very few like that.

Peej likes this.
  20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Which is more why we need a director of football who can also help implement not only the same footballing philosophy throught the age levels (currently the b squad play differently) and implement coaching that is both designed to improve all players and focus those at an age (17-19) to be bridging the gap between the b squad and the first team.

The manager is under a lot of pressure for sure, can get that they may not take too many risks. But we thus should be making it less of a risk by actually developing these kids in to the players we need them to be.

Maestro 08 likes this.