1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Al Bootyerbaws

Oh you're hard.

2. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Can’t disagree with any of that mate.

One of my worries is that no matter how much I support Ange’s ideology, I don’t think the club can afford the standard of players to implement it (at least not in Europe).

As I’ve said to others on here tonight though, I feel that Ange is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Without the inverted fullbacks, we can’t get Turnbull and Rogic high enough to effect the game. With the current inverted fullbacks, we are an absolute sieve defensively.

Personally I think Ange needs to take one for the team on Sunday, play a proper holding midfielder, and let McGregor impact the game as an 8 rather than a 6. It gives us more energy, more mobility and more defensive awareness in midfield.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  3. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Kinky

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If he wants to play inverted full backs he’s going to have to plug the gaps it leaves in the full back areas, probably more so offensively than defensively.

When CCV and Starfelt have the baw, if Calmac doesn’t drop there’s literally no out ball because Abada and Jota are hugging the touch line in the final third as they’ve been told to. It’s a glaring mistake that better teams pick up on instantly.

Maestro 08 and Mr Shelby like this.
  5. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    He's now lost or drawn more games than he's won. I can't see him surviving if he loses on Sunday.

6. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

He needs a midfield destroyer. We're severely lacking one just now.

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye. I have sympathy for the centre backs in this system, both on the ball and off the ball.

They'll be used to always having their full back offering for the ball out wide. Their only options now are sideways to the other centre half, back to Hart or to McGregor if he can create space in the centre, which is usually congested.

Hard to be critical of them passing between themselves when there's nothing happening in front of them.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

You’ve got more chance of plugging the gap in Elton John’s * with a cotton bud than we have of plugging the gaps in our defence with anything…

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    As I said wee barra, that's near enough everything :ange2:

10. Jeffrey

I’d rather we played perverted full backs. Wits Paul Slane up to these days the rancid wee * pumper

11. Al Bootyerbaws

There there. You live on this forum. Keyboard warrior if ever I've seen one.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Rattled already :giggle1:

Good evening pal..

Cena, Free the Adblock and Maestro 08 like this.
  13. Forza 67

Who are our centre backs suppose to pass to when the full backs are playing hide and see? It's infuriating to watch and the chances we're giving away because they're in no mans land.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  14. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It’s definitely strange watching our centre halves on the ball and no immediate pass wide. It was very evident against Alkmaar and again tonight that good teams will stick an energetic 10 on McGregor and nullify that supply.

When building from the back, we look something like:
    CCV——Starfelt
    McGregor
    Rogic Ralston Montgomery Turnbull
    Abada ———————— Jota
    Kyogo​

I can’t help but feel that the midfield 5 in that scenario aren’t exactly in areas they’re comfortable and able to excel.

15. Al Bootyerbaws

You're definitely rattled I'll agree with you there. It's ok it's only the internet.

16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I think idea is all about timing, when one drops inside the other needs to stay out and the winger needs to drop then where the full back was, this creates the space. Trouble is we’re too slow to move the ball then end up passing backwards and * the whole thing.

17. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Having seen in real life tonight the system, it is nothing short of suicide, especially against better opponents. Lost count how many times Montgomery looked like the left CB with, at times, 2 Bayer players behind him in hunners of space. Asking fir a gubbin if you ask me. And so it was.
    We also need to be more clinical in opposition boxes.
    Ange needs to be very careful or he could be out the door sooner than expected as the cavalier attitude seems utterly ridiculous.
    Even our second goal tonight when Ralston loses it (in the middle of the park, like a DM!) he’s then so far out of position, the ball in behind is so easy, players can just saunter in.
    We have such a soft underbelly. That’s 8 goals to in 2 europa games.
    For as good and decent as we look goin forward (despite takin our chances) all that is undone by the calamity and folly of our defence/defending.
    I mean what was/is our formation? Other that kick off, I don’t think we had 4 defenders in a line. Often it looked like 2-2-3-3. Mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

Something else that highlighted how flawed the system is Mcgregor was marked out the game after the first couple of minutes then the point when Hart had the ball at his feet and our 3 around the box were all marked and not a single player in that team had a clue what they were meant to do. This system is so easy to play against

19. KingArtur'1

Be out the door by xmas if this form keeps up.then it'll be bring back lenny ffs, club is a shambles starting from the boardroom yet the only way to force them out is starve them of money and not go to the football but that wont happen

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I would and my reasons are plausible if you are Celtic manager should be be proud …. So proud that you do everything within your power to prevent your side being tanked this guy is more interested in being proud about the way they play rather than about the result to me that’s the wrong attitude and for that reason he’s the wrong person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk