1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    That's not a new thing, pretty much all his interviews have been like that. I just think he doesn't like, and isn't comfortable with, public speaking.

2. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I disagree mate.

We should have had all those things in place before now. Particularly as last season was a write off as early as February, maybe before.

The Harkin chase, (* was all that about???) was like the Howe chase... an utter farce. * as *.

There's no reason why we don't have a club doctor, or the manager not having his own staff.

And there's no reason why the squad should be as threadbare as it is.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  3. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    There has been progress, certainly from an attacking standpoint, and I think it’s important that we try and take a step back and realise that. We’re creating plenty chances (even against very good sides) and Ange can’t be blamed for us not taking them. The reality is that last season at this stage we were being trounced home and away by a Sparta Prague side who wouldn’t lay a glove on tonight’s Leverkusen team.

It was never going to be a quick fix, it’s going to take time.

I both agree and disagree with the example you give for our defensive vulnerabilities. Yes, the system doesn’t help with the second goal, but a better footballer than Ralston doesn’t give up possession in that area so cheaply. That said, we obviously need to improve defensively and quickly.

Players like Ralston, Soro, Bitton and Montgomery (currently), arguably even McCarthy, aren’t good enough for the system and aren’t good enough for Celtic. Ange has walked into a sinking ship and the board have still somehow managed to hang him out to dry.

4. Mr Diggler

5 defeats in 8 games. 8 goals conceded in two EL games. 3 defeats already in the league. He is on very thin ice with the fans and it could turn nasty very quickly. He needs a run of 4-5 wins in a row to ease the pressure. Big game on Sunday. It will make or break our season.

5. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    This is just it. When a good attacking side concedes a disappointing goal they just crank up the pressure on the opposition. Force them to defend their lead or fall on their sword. Like Betis v us or Lille last season.

When we concede a goal then the whole team concedes the match. Game plan goes out the window, players go into hiding. It's like our players don't have any faith in each other. That has to come from the manager.

That's one reason why the huns are above us. Gerrard isn't capable of doing anything clever tactically, and he doesn't have many really talented players in his squad. But he gets them fired up, believing in each other, ready to run through walls for the team.

It's the one thing that can carry a team when everything else isn't working. And even if you have a decent side, if you don't have that belief, then it's easy for your team to fail. It needs to come from the manager though, and Ange doesn't look like he has it.

The Prof and Cumbernauld Bhoy67 like this.
  6. seanm

Two *.hh

7. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Simply put, it’s because we have Rogic and Turnbull as two thirds of our midfield. There’s no pace, no mobility, no ability to press and no ability to transition between defence and attack.

As much as a section of our support didn’t like him, when we sold Christie we lost the option of having any of those capabilities in our midfield.

8. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    On another note Lennon had a * cheek to be there tonight. Cannot stand the man

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's such a miss in the middle..

No gettingbaway from it. Criminal that we brought no replacement for in there..

McGrory1888 likes this.
  10. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    More solid? Certainly. More difficulty playing out from the back? Also certainly.

His inverted fullback idea is one built purely around getting our midfielders higher up the pitch. The sad reality though is that asking Rogic and Turnbull to cover more ground by ditching the inverted fullbacks, also isn’t the answer.

Our issue is personnel, not system.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm not saying we shouldn't have had them in place. I agree.

What I'm saying is I think it takes 6 months to a year for a proper rebuild to be done. If you're serious. It's like going into a new business and turning it around, it can't be done overnight.

But we haven't even made a go of it yet. I agree we should have started about 7 months ago minimum but we haven't.

12. rickyroma25

Either you've misunderstood the post or I've not explained it properly. I've stated that the players who don't have the requisite attributes need replaced and he gets the time to try and do that from me. I'm familiar with inverted wingbacks and I think it's a valid tactic and quite a useful one. Not suicidal as lots of people have suggested. I don't think Postecoglou has been faultless but I'll give him time to show what sort of team he can mould.

13. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I liked Christie and I’ve never hid that on here. That said, with his contract situation and our board’s stance, it was almost inevitable that he was leaving. To go the whole summer knowing that, sell him on deadline day and not replace him is absolutely fraudulent leadership.

14. James Gold Member Gold Member

I agree Rogic and Turnbull can't play together but we've known that for weeks but the system is so easy to play against the amount times teams just chip a ball in to the corners and we're all over the place

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't know about the ralston giving up possession part.

Was a bit of a hospital pass and tbh he shouldn't be in that position, that's the crux of it, he's a full back not a CM and he's not Phillip Lahm who can look world class in both areas.

For me, there's a reason only two teams have really played like this in recent times, both under Guardiola.

The point is that even with better players than what we have you're still asking a lot as its such a high risk strategy. High reward if it comes off aye but I don't think it suits us. In Europe at least.

That goal doesn't come about if we are playing fullbacks in the proper positions. That's my point. It was down to tactics. A better player would still be doing very very well to do anything with that baw fired into him, and to be fair to Ralston he's one who has looked most at home under the new manager. I don't even rate him.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    "Fraudulent leadership"

Surely no from our current custodians.......

Mystic Penguin and McGrory1888 like this.
  17. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He has * all. Its an absolute disgrace

18. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I don’t disagree with what you’re saying (and completely agree that Rogic and Turnbull are completely incompatible). The basis of Ange’s system though is a high press that stops opposition players having the time and space to play killer passes into those channels. The problem we currently face though is that our midfield is incapable of playing a high press… again, something Turnbull and Rogic just aren’t capable of.

We just don’t have the options in midfield to play the system. I can see it, you can see it, I’m sure Ange can see it, but apparently our board couldn’t foresee it on deadline day.

Ange needs to get by his stubbornness and accept that until we can buy suitable midfielders in January though; or our season could be over by then.

James likes this.
  19. Al Bootyerbaws

How you lookin for a new boyfriend? * off.

20. Forza 67

Shitebag as I suspected.

Free the Adblock, Cena and PaulM1888 like this.