1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    18 months minimum to do what exactly? It’s not gonna click on month 19 if it hasn’t done for the previous 18 months.

It’s very simple imo. You demonstrate progress quickly, or you move on. I didn’t expect CL qualification this year, and have to take my hat off to Ange for even getting us to the Europa League given the draw, however sitting mid-table domestically is simply not good enough. He needs to show signs of improvement rapidly, or the support (that on the whole still backs him imo) will turn quickly.

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I can even accept us being the whipping boys in Europe, but when we canny beat bog standard spfl teams, even at CP then we are in trouble.

3. G40B

He’s not got enough of a CV to risk 18 months on.

A hammering tonight and he’s on very thin ice with the fans going into the weekend.

With McKay out the door, the board has the perfect opportunity to sack Postecoglou and blame the appointment all on McKay.

In saying that, I do believe he’s a capable manager. However, he’s going the same way as every manager who has laid down for this board.

4. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We are unfortunately one of those fanbases that are not patient and want to chop and change managers until we have success instantly. How many managers have Man United been through since Ferguson left? How many did the huns go through? Gerrard was a shambles to start with but wherever we like it or not he turned it around.

5. James Gold Member Gold Member

Gerrard has won 1 trophy out of a possible 9 and we essentially gifted it to him and are in the process of doing so again the guy is a bottler history shows he folds under pressure

Artorias likes this.
  6. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Not really they went unbeaten. We can dress it up how we like but they were never gonna bring a manager in who was gonna earn instant success. Very few clubs can. We were such a shambles last year. A team full of losers at a club that is toxic from the very top.

I've said it before. Any manager, from Ange to Klopp, would find it difficult here at this point in time until things * change at board level

7. celtic warrior

Ok that's great, who replaces Ajeti right now then? Where are the other options, right now.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    First thing we had to do in the summer was get a manager in with his own backroom team, you need that for stability and a base for going forward.

We've got a manager who is isolated and forced to work alongside the dross from last season, that's not a good recipe for successs, it should've been a clear out and a new beginning.

Hammy89 likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I agree the board is a disgrace and need hounded out. But Rodgers didn't exactly find it difficult, domestically at least.

10. James Gold Member Gold Member

They had a great season last year in the league but they were never under any real pressure had it not been for covid he probably wouldn't have been there last season.

I agree we need gutted at boardroom level but I can't separate slaughtering the board and backing a manager just because we think Strachan is the alternative. It was the board who appointed Ange they under invested in the dugout as they do on the park as well

11. oh bhoy

quite simply isnt the case ,every manager is given a fair crack. presently the fustration has grew from the fact the board did * all to save '10 in a row' and have followed it up with a wild punt

12. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    You're right he didn't, but it's worse now than it was then. This is in my opinion the worst it has been in terms of the way the club is run. If Rodgers had come in now, I honestly think he would struggle.

13. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Fair crack? Alot of the support want him gone already and its the end of September

GreenLeanMean likes this.
  14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You could get more out of Ajeti.

You could turn to the youth teams.

You could partner him with somebody like Abada.

You could change the entire system.

It’s not like there are literally no options whatsoever. I mean none of them might be ideal, but I can say with reasonable confidence that we’ll struggle to break most teams down even domestically while Ajeti up top alone.

It’s kind of up to our genius level manager to find a solution that’s a bit more creative than just doing the same thing again and again, though.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  15. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    This season was always going to be massive.

1) Biggest squad rebuild in recent memory.
    2) Stopping the other lot from accessing CL money.

This season is not one for taking a gamble on a manager who´s never worked in Europe.
    Ange is responsible for results, but the rest (state of the squad, Ange´s appointment, and more) is on the board, and ultimately Desmond.

Things will have to get worse, before they eventually will improve. Grim days ahead.

16. oh bhoy

who else have the fanbase wanted chopped and changed? the vast majority didnt want ange anywhere near the job and patience has worn thin already

17. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    You know full well any manager from this point forward who doesn't achieve instant success will be hounded out by the support early on. The Rodgers era has spoiled us.

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

That's a nonsense as well there is a definite between of instant success and having a less then 50% win rate in the league and sitting 6th. You can have as many shots as you want and hit the bar as many times as you like but if you dont score it means nothing. He has lost more points than he has won in the league any Celtic manager should be questioned over that.

19. celtic warrior

So Celtic, a club that should be winning titles and challenging in some degree within Europe is now having to rely on youth?

Play Abada as a partner, ok fine, have we not learnt anything from playing wingers as strikers? Morgan/Mikey, who then takes Abada's position right now then.

With the exception of Welsh, who some probably have doubts over, our youth system hasn't looked great, Murray is promising but looks nervous in possession, Montgomery couldn't even pass 5 yards against Dundee utd. Ralston... Not you now but is not good enough for Celtic regardless of how he's been doing lately.

Mikey, injured constantly.

Hazard, wasn't good enough

Where is this faith coming from that youth would be a alternative to improve results?

The only one who's made a serious impact since Ronnie is KT, who else has even been worth it?

How exactly can you get more out of Ajeti? He's been given chances, he's been given goal scoring opportunities and yet he can't put them away, do you not think Ange already has our strikers (well Ajeti only seeing how he's the only fit one at the club) already doing training on their finishing?

Right now, the quality at the club is atrocious this is by far the weakest squad we've had in decades and is also the most unfit squad we've witnessed in a very long time. All of which is a failure by this board to set up any meaningful infrastructure to support the growth of our on field success.

And that all means something, if we had no fitness infrastructure in place until recently with the new hire, quality may be great but it will only get us so far as players gas out by 60 minutes.

I mean ffs, if it didn't mean anything, guys like Griff, Rogic, McCourt in the past, Giakoumakis now (assuming it's just a fitness issue), McCarthy would be world beaters and in all honesty, probably not celtic players to begin with then.

This idea that Ange should just adapt and things would improve is a madness, people can say what they want about him turning down the job to begin if it were that bad but he's been brought in to do the jobs of departments that successful clubs (even the * huns) have since implemented in this modern day, full departments, yet Ange so far, is doing it alone, with the assistance of JK and Strachan. You can replace Ange’s name with anyone else, that is not going to a good way to achieve short or long term success they would all struggle.

There is no where in the 11 that can be improved on right now at this very moment, our options outside of our 11 right now are honking it's either an option of unfit, rigid and slow players or completely inexperienced youth.

rickyroma25 likes this.
  20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

...and this was the problem that Celtic fans tried to labour to Aussie Ange fans. You might get time at Melbourne Victory and Yokohama Marinos to see eventual success of your methods. You don't at Celtic Football Club. You either succeed and earn the right to continue or fail and are shown the door.

Well, he either changes that or he will soon be out of a job.

He won't be getting 18 months if it isn't working. McKay leaving is certainly a cause for concern. The board are as much (if not more) on trial than Ange at the moment.

Ange isolated himself from the get-go, accepting the job without insisting that his own backroom staff were brought in to be allies. That's all on him.

Steady now.

Would a football genius lose that game to that newly-promoted Hearts team that literally couldn't string 3 passes together? Definitely not.
    Would a football genius be out-thought by Robbie Neilson or a guy that was mopping floors in HMP Barlinnie when Ange was eating sushi? Definitely not.

A football genius finds a way to win at all costs. Stein was a footballing genius, Shankly, Ferguson etc. Ange has done absolutely nothing to prove he's anywhere near that level.

He had most people on board but the support isn't unconditional; with that support comes responsibility. Responsibility to understand the importance of winning games, not eventually but immediately to ensure we don't allow the huns a huge financial leg up.

It also isn't a case of Ange v The Board in terms of who to support. They could both conceivably be not fit for purpose for Celtic. I think we have enough evidence to conclusively say that on the board, with Ange it remains to be seen. It's down to him to show that he has what it takes, not in January 2023 but now...

rudebhoy67 and Free the Adblock like this.