1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liam Scales

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Aug 27, 2021.

Discuss Liam Scales in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou insists he'll give Liam Scales time to develop at Parkhead as injuries put his squad under strain.

The Bhoys dropped more points in the Premiership on Sunday when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Dundee United at home.

Former Australia head coach Postecoglou saw his injury issues mount further when Josip Juranovic [tight hamstring] and Republic of Ireland midfielder James McCarthy [knock] suffered first-half injuries against United.

Celtic were already missing eight players and had no experienced attacking options to come off the bench.

They face Bayer Leverkusen in the Europa League on Thursday, and though Scales - who made his debut last week in the Premier Sports Cup quarter-final win over Raith Rovers - should at least feature on the bench, Postecoglou stressed the former Shamrock Rovers and UCD defender will need space to find his feet.

"It was good for Liam to make his debut against Raith," Postecoglou said.

"He has come from a different league and has had to get adjusted to training but we were looking for an opportunity to give him some game time.

"When you make your debut you are going to be a little bit nervous so it was great for him to come on against Raith and take his first steps.

"Although he is a bit older in terms of years he is still very inexperienced at this level so we will give him time and develop him properly.

"We sign players because we see something in them but the next step is for them to grab their opportunity."

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ah well, another project.

3. JamesM09

Wild idea here, but could we sign players that are proven quality so we can win football matches, like everybody else does?

Peej likes this.
  4. dmccourt95

Shock horror that a 23 year old punt from the LOI just happened to play for the club that Desmond has shares in

JamesM09 likes this.
  5. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Thought he'd at least have got some game time against Dundee Utd.

Granted, he came on against 10-man Raith Rovers when the game was done but he looked ready to start accumulating minutes on the pitch.

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Really want to see him get a chance..

Having a bit of height in the fullback areas is needed, we're a small side.

Tommy25, Easter Rd Davie and mayo like this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye, I said just before there corner they scored from I’d get him on just for some extra height defensively.

Tommy25 and JC Anton like this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Would love him to be the answer at left back, he needs his chance to prove it.

9. JamesM09

I feel like Ange wanted a proven LB and the board refused to sign one, so they brought in Scales on the cheap to pretend to the fans they bought a LB, hence why Ange refuses to consider him first team.

10. CountyDownFaithful

Thought he looked the part against Raith. Quick, powerful, sharp. Although I appreciate it was against lower level opposition.

Nonetheless, I think his pace and presence would be an asset to our defence. Overall I think he would be a better option than Montgomery but he needs time to show it. Montgomery done enough to show he’s a promising young player but he isn’t a KT and shouldn’t be playing every game.

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  11. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    All this talk of Ange viewing him as a project, yet starts Montgomery, is very confusing.

He showed in his brief spell against Raith that he certainly deserves a shot at left back. He would've played better there today than Montgomery, I have no doubts about that.

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    No idea if it's due to fitness or something else, but we should really be giving the guy a chance to become our first choice LB. It's our weakest part of the pitch by far and we're currently shoehorning a winger in there.

13. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I wonder if Ange sees him more as a CB than a LB. We don't have much cover there at the moment until Julien gets back, just Welsh really, so maybe he doesn't want to risk him at LB yet in case he picks up an injury and we lose cover for 2 positions.

14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I agree with Ange here... as a league of Ireland fan the step up to Celtic is massive... I wanted him thrown straight in but makes more sense to let him adjust

15. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He should have been brought on as soon as we scored the winner today to shore things up. Everyone knew Aberdeen were going to load the box from then on and his height and defensive instinct would have been useful. Real naivety from Ange there in my opinion.

I’d like to see him given a run to see what he’s made of. None of Taylor, Montgomery or Boli are the answer at left back so let’s find out if this guy could be.

Tommy25 and mayo like this.
  16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    So he would've been a worse option than Montgomery?

Not buying it.

17. JamesM09

I feel that’s sensible until you see Montgomery is playing mate.

Surely a top player from the league of Ireland is at least on par with a 19 year old winger from the academy?

Hammy89 likes this.
  18. Heb Celt

He’s got to be more match ready than Montgomery.He was called up to the ROI squad in the last international break.Strange he’s not getting a chance.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ange confirmed today 2 weeks into training will get him ready for after the break same with GG

Tommy25 and Easter Rd Davie like this.
  20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Ability wise I'd say so mate.. up to speed with fitness and speed of Celtic probably not.. if he was ready I'm sure he'd be playing

JamesM09 likes this.