1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Erik Sviatchenko

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Jun 18, 2015.

Discuss Erik Sviatchenko in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's pish.

2. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Get out of reverse Celtic ffs. This, Boli back in contention? and that nobody from Sunderland. Jesus wept.

john2061 likes this.
  3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I agree. If he’s one of 2 or 3 CBs being signed this summer, we can do worse.

4. john2061

We know Ang likes playing a high line so why bring back someone who has no pace and like last season with Duffy.

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    To be fair it is probably just talk with absolutely no substance behind it. Was a half way decent player for us and seemed like a decent guy off the field. Don't see any reason for us to sign him though. He will be 30 early on in the new season as well so I just do not see anything in this.

6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If it’s between this guy for a million and porteous for 4 million the I’d rather we went back for Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

In reality this rumour shows our "leak" has been found and outed. They don't have a clue whats happening with our signings... so lawell was the leak? Always thought so.

8. oh bhoy

they maybe wont sell now that we are due to meet

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/superliga/eftertragtet-fcm-profil-interessen-er-der

Erik Sviatchenko is still open for a club change this summer, but also emphasizes that he would like to stay at FC Midtjylland if the right offer does not appear.

If it is up to him, Erik Sviatchenko still has a foreign adventure in him. It may be possible this summer, if otherwise the right club offers itself.

The FC Midtjylland captain turns 30 in October, so the time is running out if he is to appear attractive to clubs larger than his current one. However, he is also careful to emphasize that he will obviously do his best for FCM if it does not turn into a switch.

- I know I have played at a super high level through three seasons now and am in my best football age for a central defender. I have a huge experience both internationally and from different squads, experience as a leader, so you can not just find that player everywhere. Of course I also understand that Midtjylland is really happy that they have me, but we have also had a clear agreement and indication that when the right thing comes, I also get the chance for it, says Erik Sviatchenko to the tips magazine. dk.

- But of course there must also be that interest. And the interest is there, but it has to go up in a higher unit. That’s why I always find it hard to comment on rumors. In two weeks there is suddenly something and then it is a new situation. It may also be that there is nothing.

- But I have told my people that if the right thing comes, then of course I am really interested. And if not, then I have also indicated that I am obviously motivated and ready for new times. So we have to see how it develops.

Earlier this summer , the Scottish Daily Record wrotethat Erik Sviatchenko's former club and FC Midtjylland's opponent in the Champions League qualifier, Celtic, were interested in bringing him back. However, he is not much to deal with.

- It is always difficult to comment on such rumors. We'll see what happens. It's a cool club, but I actually do not know more than what it says. Then we have to see if there is anything in it, he says.

Something else as a 19-year-old The
    transfer window has not even officially opened yet and will not close until 1 September. So there is a long summer ahead for transfer hot players. That kind of thing could take focus earlier in his career, but Erik Sviatchenko has learned to abstract from that.

- If I had been 19 or 22, I think it would have been a problem. Or so I know, it was then. But when you turn 29, you do not think about it at all. Then there is such a parallel road running out on the side, he says.

- When the agent calls, you talk to him quietly and say: "When should we have a meeting? When should we talk?" So for me, it's no problem to relate to rumors, it's just hard to comment on them. But up in the head, it's no problem at all. There I have tried it far too many times for it to have any effect.

In the past, it was immediately necessary to search for where there is an apartment and where there are houses. Where can one and the other. This is what you have been through for a long time. Before there is an offer at all, there is nothing, so I manage that just fine.

The question is also whether FC Midtjylland wants to sell the captain; especially when his partner in central defense, Alexander Scholz, is already gone. The contract lasts until 2024.

- All players must have ambitions on behalf of their careers, and this also applies to our captain. But he is our most important man, he is the captain, he "is Central Jutland", so that is the closest I can get. We are sure that Erik is also the one who blows us into the Europa League or Champions League when it comes to a little, and must help us play for a new championship, says sports manager Svend Graversen.

You do not think he will be sold?

- I will not comment on that.

If he's going to play you for a new championship, he's gonna stay here.

- That's what we deal with with all our players. But all our players have ambitions, and they must have them. I can not get any closer.

10. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Not sure about bringing players back.

Actually thought he was decent and would have improved over time.

Thought it was just a story that bumped this thread until I read days after the rumour, lol.

11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Nothing wrong with being cheeky and unsettling the team were about to play :fear:

Luckily there manager has gone, players are leaving and rumours are swirling. Good signs for us

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    You could say the same about us pretty much. Other then we finally at least have a new manager.

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Nah our last manager was * they basically had there Rodgers :56:

14. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He was sold for a reason. We need to be doing better.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FORMER Celtic defender Erik Sviatchenko revealed the club is ‘close to his heart’ as he discussed a possible return to Parkhead.

The Dane played with the Hoops under Brendan Rodgers from January 2016 to January 2018 before returning to Midtjylland where he is now captain.

The 29 year-old is set to line up against his old club when Celtic take on the Danes in the Champions League qualifier later this month.

And the defender refused to rule out the possibility of a return to Glasgow as part of new Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou’s summer rebuild

He told the Go Radio Football Show: “I’ve heard those rumours too but it’s difficult for me to say more.

“When it’s rumours, it’s rumours. Unless I hear anything else it’s just a rumour

But I’ve always said Celtic is close to my heart as is Midtjylland. Those are the two clubs that I follow and whatever happens, happens.

It’s not up to me.

"You could argue that Celtic know what they would be getting with me and I know what the club is about.

“But it’s so difficult to talk about transfer rumours.

For now it’s just speculation.

“I just have to focus on what is there.

"I’m the captain of Midtjylland and really proud of that.

"And then we’ll see what the transfer window will offer.

I think I’m going to be playing against Celtic in this tie. It will be a great game and one that I’m looking forward to.

"And it will be great to see all the former players and staff.

“For now I’m just doing everything I can to beat Celtic and get through to the next stage.”

Sviatchenko admits he was excited when the draw was made.

He added: “This tie is going to be amazing. It’s something I knew could happen with the draw with Celtic in the pot.

“And when it did happen it was a bit more special for me than it might be for some of my team-mates.

“And for Celtic it’s always funny to go up against old team-mates, especially as I had a really good time there.

“We had some special moments at that time with Celtic and some unprecedented things happened.

It was crazy, especially going unbeaten through a season.

“Being a part of that first season as an integral member of the squad is something you look back upon and are always happy about.

“If it wasn’t for injury maybe I would still be there. It was the worst timing from that point of view.

“But I came back to Midtjylland and improved even more, played in the Champions League again and feel that I have become a much better player than I was when I left Celtic.”

16. jj81

Scored today , tbh would prefer him over starfelt

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/...-sviatchenko-celtics-summer-transfer-22866312

Erik Sviatchenko squeezed in a lot during his hugely successful two years at Celtic.

Four trophies. Old Firm thrashings. Champions League nights. An Invincible Treble.

The big Dane more than played his part in what was truly a golden era for the club.

Erik Sviatchenko squeezed in a lot during his hugely successful two years at Celtic.

Four trophies. Old Firm thrashings. Champions League nights. An Invincible Treble.

Signed by Ronny Deila in January 2016, Sviatchenko quickly fell in love with the Hoops.

So too did his family. The defender’s wife Anne played for the women’s team, while his sister moved to Glasgow to work for the club’s charity foundation.

It didn’t take long for Sviatchenko to endear himself to the Celtic support either.

The fans' favourite marked his first game against Rangers with a Scottish Cup semi-final goal at Hampden, albeit Deila's men would lose to Mark Warburton's Championship winners on penalties.

However, like many of his teammates, the Denmark international reinvented himself by becoming a vital clog in Celtic’s revival under Brendan Rodgers - the man who eventually showed him the door.

Sviatchenko formed solid central defensive partnerships with Kolo Toure and later Jozo Simunovic as the Parkhead giants made history in 2016/17.

It was a season like no other as Celtic stormed to unprecedented success by completing an unbeaten clean sweep, with 5-1 Glasgow Derby demolitions and famous Champions League nights against Manchester City thrown in along the way.

Football is all about winning, so it’s easy to understand why Sviatchenko would love to pull on the green and white jersey once more.

Four years after leaving Paradise, it's clear from our 46 minute long conversation that Sviatchenko still holds Celtic close to his heart.

Currently captaining hometown club FC Midtjylland, the 30-year-old was linked with a shock move back to Parkhead last summer.

It’s an opportunity Sviatchenko freely admits he would like to have explored, but Ange Postecoglou eventually decided to go down a different route.

In an exclusive in-depth interview with Football Scotland, Sviatchenko opened up on Celtic’s interest for the first time as he revealed: "There was actually a little bit of truth in it.

We had some initial talks with Celtic but the new manager wanted players that he had to choose.

"As I understood it, I was highly-rated and someone who could have been considered but they took a different centre-back.

"It was nice to be linked and it did blow up on the internet which was fun to be a part of.

"It was just between my agent and the club. It was a hectic speculation time.

Sviatchenko made 63 appearances for Celtic and rarely let the club down.

Sure, there was the odd mistake here and there, but overall he proved a more than solid acquisition at just £1.5million.

His form was so impressive during Rodgers’ first six months in charge that Claudio Ranieri's Leicester City came calling in January 2017 with a mega £11m offer.

The bid was booted out by then-chief executive Peter Lawwell, who slapped a £13m price tag on his head.

Sviatchenko could easily have thrown his toys out the pram and demanded a money-spinning transfer down south. Instead, he told the board he was more than happy to stay, despite having the chance to play for the then-Premier League champions.

It was an extraordinary show of loyalty, a trait which you rarely see in the game nowadays.

That’s why Sviatchenko still struggles to understand how he became a bit-part player in the second half of the Invincible Treble -winning campaign.

He explained: "It was of course an annoying period. After January 17, I had just played one full season.

"I played every single game almost for the first six months under Ronny, and then the first six months under Brendan.

"Leicester City were ready to pay big money I think. They had an offer rejected of around £10million or £11m from Celtic. I was really in doubt as well if I wanted to go.

"So I said to Celtic, 'Listen, I might stay if it's okay?' In the end, Celtic said 'You are our key player, and we want you to say'. I think they wanted £13m or something like that.

"At that point, Leicester had £15m to pay for two centre-backs, so they said they could maybe pay £7m up front and then loan the other, but Celtic weren't agreeing to those terms which I respected and thought, 'Okay, I'll just be even better for the next season or two and we'll see what happens and I might have my move one day, because that's normal in football'.

But then suddenly when we came back, I had a suspension in the first League Cup game where Dedryck [Boyata] and Jozo played.

"They won, and Dedryck did well, and the next game coming up I thought I would be back in the team because I knew I had been playing all the games, but I was on the bench.

"The third game coming up, I was on the bench again, but Jozo had suffered an injury the day before, and one-and-a-half hours before the game, he [Rodgers] said to me, 'Erik, you are starting'.

"I thought, 'Okay, I'll take my chance'. I had man of the match awarded to me, he came to me afterwards in the gym and said, 'Listen, that's the way I want you to play. Be more aggressive with the ball, try to penetrate with the ball'.

"I was lacking a bit of lead in some way and so for three or four games, I was out again and was a regular rotation player. From playing against Lionel Messi to this, it was a bit of a contrast."

He didn’t know it at the time, but Sviatchenko’s Celtic career came to a shattering end when he suffered a nightmare knee injury away to Rosenborg in August 2017.

Sidelined for more than three months, Sviatchenko did everything he could to try and force his way back into Rodgers’ plans.

Despite his best attempts, the opportunity never arrived.

Instead, 12 months after Celtic blocked a lucrative switch to England, Sviatchenko found himself farmed out on loan to the club he started his career with, FC Midtjylland.

He later signed permanent terms with the Danish side and although he holds no regrets over his time in Glasgow, Sviatchenko admits the way his Celtic career ended under Rodgers was hard to swallow.

He said: "We came to the summer, I hadn't played that much but I thought I'd come back after the break. It started really well.

"He trusted me and wanted me to play the second leg in Rosenborg after Kristoffer Ajer had had his first game against Rosenborg at home, he did really well.

But anyway, he came to me, he wanted experience and a guy who knew what it was all about. I suffered an injury in that game and was out for three months whilst Dedryck was maybe three or four weeks ahead of me in the rehabilitation period.

"He came back into the team again, and I came back maybe in the September month and had a reinjury and needed three weeks more.

"And then in October, November and December there were a bunch of games where I really, really hoped that I could get just one minute to show the Celtic fans and everyone that I was actually ready.

"But that's the worst part of it, that I never actually had a game after my injury at Rosenborg.

"That annoys me, even though it's been so many years now, I'm in a different place and playing my best football ever.

"It's the thing that annoys me about my Celtic career, that particular moment, that he never gave me the chance even though he said he would.

"One day we'll sit down and he'll tell me why I didn't play because I knew I had the level, I'm showing it today. It's football sometimes and what can you do about it?"

As fate would have it, Sviatchenko found himself back at Celtic Park at the start of the season, only this time he was in the away dressing room.

Determined to prove a point against his former employers, the stopper helped Midtjylland KO Postecoglou’s threadbare side over two legs in the Champions League qualifiers.

After being written off during his final months at Celtic, Sviatchenko admits it was a sweet moment progressing to the next stages.

He said: "It was emotional. I was nervous, but in a good way, especially as it was something that always annoyed me that my last game against Celtic was 25 minutes against Rosenborg.

"Since then, of course fans had maybe been watching me, but not Celtic Park. They hadn't seen me play.

"I knew how good I was, and how good I had developed in the last couple of years. So as captain, to take my team and play such a good game, but also performing really well and having the man of the match in the Danish media in that game, it just made my day that I could show the fans what they had lost.

"That was an amazing moment and it was even more amazing when we scored in extra-time and beat Celtic over the two legs.

"It was a good moment for me, an important moment to close the chapter of my time there."

While Sviatchenko is happy captaining his beloved Midtjylland and fighting for silverware in the Denmark, you get the feeling he'd love another stint at Celtic.

Asked if he'd like to return one day, Sviatchenko added: "Yeah, 100 per cent. At the moment, I'm at a stage in my career where I'm at my best age and best football

I'm giving that to FC Midtjylland at the moment and I know how much they value me here and wouldn't let me go unless someone paid a lot of millions!

"But who knows? Maybe one day if I'm good enough. If not, I won't.

"But as I always said, there's two clubs.. it's Midtjylland, and it's Celtic. They are my clubs."

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    The_Bhoy likes this.
  18. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    11 million. Aye we would have knocked that back

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Never really viewed him as a key player.

A weird player. I was buzzing when we signed him, FM legend, but I think he had some glaring flaws.

Great guy though.

neilly1987 and Valhalla like this.
  20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Was obvious looking back there was flaws in the game considering Midtjylland were being spoke about by everycunt cos of the moneyball stuff and had every club scouting them.

Canny really remember a defensive signing that had almost universal approval and had the support buzzing.

In the end it was just a bit meh. His Da made good jackets though.

Mr Shelby likes this.