1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

2. Ak1

No Leigh Griffiths though is he!!

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....

Made up for it by scoring at the * pit last year though :ange2:

The Phoenix and Avatar Daizen like this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Should get top dollar in January now..

The Phoenix likes this.
  5. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Excellent news

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Callum McGregor joined Celtic at the age of just eight, taking his first steps with the club’s Youth Academy on what he hoped would be a pathway to Paradise.

Twenty years later, and he is the Celtic captain, with 338 appearances to his name and a collection of winner’s medals that would be the envy of many professional footballers.

Not that the midfielder is content to rest on his laurels. Far from it, and having now signed a new five-year deal that will see him remain at Celtic until the summer of 2026, he retains that single-minded determination to be as successful as he possibly can and help deliver even more silverware to the club.

Speaking to Celtic TV, Callum said: “I’m absolutely delighted. It’s a proud moment again to extend my stay at the club. The club’s very close to my heart.

'I’ve been here for a number of years now, I’m happy here, I love my football and representing this club, and I want to stay here for as long as I can.'

"If I can make it to 25 years at this club, then I’ll be more than happy with that.

“When you’re a young kid, you’re just desperate to play football, you want to be a footballer.

“When the club gave me this opportunity at eight-years-old, I suppose, in the back of your head, you’re thinking, ‘I want to be there,’ but the realistic ambition of getting there is so difficult, but to be sitting here today, I’m super proud of what I’ve achieved.

“It’s a massive thanks to my family and everyone else who’s helped me get here, and it’s such a proud moment sitting here and actually having fulfilled my dream.”

This year has already been a momentous one in Callum McGregor’s Celtic career, having taken over the captain’s armband following the departure of Scott Brown.

The responsibility which comes with that role is something the new Hoops skipper is relishing, and he is confident of adding to the six league titles, four Scottish Cups and four League Cups he’s already won as a Celt.

“This is a new chapter and I’m desperate to see the five years out,” he said, “and if I’ve done that, then that means it’s been a pretty successful time again.

'That’s the new motivation for me personally, to make sure this club wins silverware and get it back to that successful place where we were two, three, four seasons ago.'

“There are some big seasons ahead in terms of where we can take the club back to, and being involved in that on a daily basis – my job is to steer the team in the right direction and get us there on the pitch.

“I’m desperate to help the young ones, desperate to help the club and with so much experience behind me now, that falls on players like myself and James – guys who are winners, who’ve been here and experienced it.

“It’s going to be a competitive league, we want to be in Europe – that’s the goal for the club, so we have to do everything we can every single day to make sure that we get there as a squad.

“I’ve been lucky enough to be here for a number of years and experience so many great nights under the lights, European atmospheres, cup finals. There’s no better feeling than winning – that’s why you play football.

“This club is a huge club, always involved in games that matter – semi-finals, cup finals, European nights. That’s what fuels you as a football and I’m just desperate to get more of those nights as well.”

Leone Naka Fan, Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  7. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Great news, totally deserving of it. :50:

8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Clearly the first thing on big Ange's agenda after the madness of the transfer window. Excellent stuff!

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    seen what broony achieved as captain, and thought, ''I want some of that''

great news

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

When Ange Postecoglou announced that Callum McGregor would be his captain, the Celtic manager described it as an easy decision to make and also the best decision.

Now that the midfielder has signed a new five-year deal which will see him remain at the club until the summer of 2026, the Hoops boss spoke of his delight at the news and the importance of the player to his plans for the future of the club.

Speaking to Celtic TV, Ange Postecoglou said: “It’s brilliant news for the club. Obviously it was an important year for Cal stepping up to be the new captain and he’s already shown outstanding qualities.

“I still feel his best football years are ahead of him and it’s great to know that they’ll be in front of the Celtic fans and he’ll be a big part of what we’re trying to build for the future.

'He espouses the values that I’m after and he understands what we’re trying to build and, on and off the field.'

“He’s not just talking about it, he’s living it and he’s showing the behavior that I want leaders to show, and as I said, he’s just taken his first steps but I think that it’s exciting with what’s ahead.

“Again, it’s a great story to tell and I’ve already mentioned him to quite a few of our young guys who’re trying to break through into the first-team – he’s a shining example.

“It’s not always smooth sailing, you’ve got to fight through things, and you’ve got to prove yourself at times.

“He had to go away to kick-start his career, and the whole time he just had this real determination to be part of this football club and have success, and long may it continue.”

Callum McGregor also spoke of the importance that the relationship he has with the manager in determining his future at Celtic.

“We’ve got a great relationship,” he said. “He’s settled in well, he’s settled in with the boys, everyone feels good, it’s a great environment here, especially with so many young players – it’s a great environment to learn and the experienced ones become so important in that as well.

'So I feel like there’s a great mix in the building, of youth and experience, quality, determination and there are some new players here who are desperate to win things. That then falls on the experienced ones to guide them there.'

McGregor, now 28, has worked with many coaches over the past 20 years since joining the Celtic Youth Academy at the age of eight. They have helped him in his career, and it’s something that he will always appreiciate.

“Every coach that I’ve worked with since I’ve been eight-years-old right through to now, they’ve all given me great information,” he explained. “Whether you take one sentence from a coach that helps you, or you work closely with a coach for three/four years that really advances you, I think it’s all small parts of the jigsaw that help get you there.

“So I could sit here and mention 10, 15 names but I’m thankful to them all in terms of the role that they’ve played and given me that experience, and now hopefully it’ll stand me in good stead for the next part of my career.”

cidermaster and Belgian_lad like this.
  12. Heb Celt

Most important player at the club and it’s showed since he’s been sidelined.

cidermaster likes this.
  13. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    A great player for us, deserves the money and a decent length.

Rydo1888* and cidermaster like this.
  14. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    He's already 28... * me... Follow his whole career since his first appearance but he really doesn't feel like nearly 30 already :84:

Absolutely delighted that he signed until 2026. He's our best player and has international class. We can be happy if our board doesn’t force him out next summer to make up their failings.

cidermaster and Belgian_lad like this.
  15. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Brilliant News!!!

16. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm happy with that news.

17. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Very nice !! :84:

18. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You volunteering, stud?

Free the Adblock likes this.
  19. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Volunteering for what?

He has a decent length. No one is disputing that, surely?

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member