1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AussieGreek

Ange said he would play today, then he didn’t play, and some of you couldn’t even wait until the post-match presser before coming up with wild conspiracies and allegations.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  2. James Gold Member Gold Member

We're defo not being told the full story here he's been in almost a month and still wasn't fit to make the bench at the weekend

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The wait for Giorgos Giakoumakis' Celtic debut will go on after Ange Postecoglou confirmed he had picked up a pre-match knock.

The Greek striker has yet to make an appearance his summer move from VVV Venlo but was included in the squad to face Raith Rovers.

He appeared on the bench in the first half of the Premier Sports Cup clash, but did not rejoin his teammates in the second period.

Fans were left scratching their heads as the new recruit didn't get his first minutes for the club in the 3-0 drubbing of the Championship side.

The Australian has now offered an update on the situation admitting his disappointment after a calf injury was picked up in the warm up.

The Celtic boss told Premier Sports: "I don't know what it is mate, I've definitely walked under a ladder

"He did his calf in the warm-up and we have just sent him off to do a scan now. He has picked up an injury unfortunately."

4. AussieGreek

says the guy who compared Ange to Lennon for not playing Giakoumakis because he was to impatient to wait 30 minutes for the post-match presser to find out what the situation was :87:

Jamesy Bhoy 7 likes this.
  5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Aye and that’s happened during the preseason and while he’s been with us. Literally * all to do with scouting.

6. James Gold Member Gold Member

Eh ? Ok I mean I never and have not a clue what you're on about

But crack on

7. AussieGreek

thats because I confused you for Peej. My bad.

James likes this.
  8. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Seemed to play a lot last year so even if he was injured for a few weeks he shouldn’t be too far behind. A pro footie player wouldn’t lose all their fitness after a few weeks out, they are professionals who have trained their whole lives. Doing his calf tonight can’t be helped but why wasn’t he even a option of the bench on Sunday or even Thursday?

9. JamesM09

This club is horrendously mismanaged.

Cringey as * the way everyone was celebrating on transfer deadline day.

G40B likes this.
  10. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Injured during warm up. Calf injury. We just cannot catch a break at the minute

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Only club that would sign a a player so late in the window and not realise he hasn't kicked a ball in months.

Then to get the good old Celtic luck, of him getting inured during a warm up.

I've already resigned to the fact it's yet another wasted £2.5milliok on a striker that won't do * all for us.

Giakoumakis let me introduce you to klimala, balde, rassmussen, Dublin, kazim Richards, fortune, lassad, and the many others over the years

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Hold on, I didn't compare Ange to Lennon, merely made comment that the lack of an attacking sub (giakoumakis) was up there with some of Lennon's baffling sub decisions.

It's a forum, during a 90minute match, we react in the moment.

Or should we lock the forum down till after Ange has done his presser each game?

13. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Have to strongly disagree with this. Rasmussen aside (maybe). I do not recall any of the above being top goal scorers in the leagues they played. Even if Rasmussen was, its very easy to argue that georgios did it at a better level. Given he did it for a relegated team makes the feat even more impressive.

Just because he took an injury doesn't mean he is ready for the scrap heap.

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Mate, apart from one season out of about 7 or 8, giakoumakis is not a top goal scorer.

My dry point was more in line with strikers that just didn't do enough here and eventually moved on for a waste of a transfer fee.

Love the Greek lad to prove us all wrong, but we go through this nearly every season with different signings.

15. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Get the point you are trying to raise but on the contrary I think we can agree the likes of klimala, balde, Rasmussen, Richards or dublin had absolutely nothing in their record to suggest they could be an important goal scorer for us. Even fortune who cost so much never really had a great goal scoring record.

Yeah maybe this man is a flash in the pan but every player peaks at different times. It might just be we signed a gem coming into his peak. I have high hopes for him when he gets going

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Without getting in to a stats comparison debate, I believe some of them did have reasonable scoring records - klimala for sure? But again, it's not their scoring record stats I'm on about, it's just simply that they are strikers that flopped here and in obvious hindsight (even while here), were not worth the money spent.

There has to be more to the fact that no other Dutch club chased this lad as well. If he was that good, peaking later in his career, you'd think one of the other Dutch clubs would have sniffed around a little.

It was us and weder Bremen, second division German club, who backed out fairly quickly it would seem.

Love him to prove me wrong, but it has all the markings of a flop, before he even kicks a ball.

17. Sgt Neppers*

Not writing him off yet, but don't know how anyone can argue against it. We needed players ready to go as soon as they were in. He's clearly nowhere near it a month later. Whilst you can't see forsee his injury, wouldn't surprise me if it was brought on by trying to rush him in to the team. Just my opinion as there were folk saying he wouldn't be ready until after the October Internationals, which again highlights how poor his fitness was and scouting was.

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

We don’t actually know who else was interested in him. And you say “Second division German club”, like Werder Bremen are a nothing team. They are pretty successful and have had a downfall like Schalke, while smaller teams in Germany are getting better overall. They just sold two players for a combined €20m to Norwich.

We are horrendous for micro analysing everything and not just letting players get on with it. There isn’t some secret formula for a player to be successful, some surprise us, some disappoint us and some do what we expect.

Peej likes this.
  19. Mr Cleansheets

How old is GG?

Pulled calves are said to be an old man's injury. I should know, I've had a few...

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Pulled calf? Ffs hes taking being Griffiths replacement too literal.

Peej and Sgt Neppers* like this.