1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. James Gold Member Gold Member

There isn't an alternative really ideally we would still be in a place to mount a challenge come January but I feel like we always build ourselves up for disappointment in transfer windows so why would January be any different

Wee Baldy likes this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye I hear that..

Ange did say he had player's in mind and that because they're halfway through a season, they'd be reluctant to sell. January is their end of season so would be easier..

I'm expecting at least 1 in from the J league. Maeda is the obvious link and would be excellent for us..

Hopefully Ange has more input on what we need. As mentioned elsewhere, the middle of the park needs major work doing..

Wee Baldy and James like this.
  3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    There's no doubt we'll drop points, but the huns are 100% dropping points too. They've been horrendous this season, main reason why I think we can still win the league this year, just need to pick up form quickly.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  4. D'Ecosse

His second goal is an absolute peach, yes would absolutely have him here.

Watching that game illustrates Ange's influence on their movement off the ball (in spite of Muscat being the coach in that game, the team is all Ange) - once we get a few key returns from injury and maybe some more additions in Jan, I think we are on the right course.

McChiellini.. and JC Anton like this.
  5. G40B

The ‘waiting for the Japanese season to end’ is the new ‘waiting until we qualify for the group stages’ fallacy.

Never happens, but ensures the board get away with their nonsense.

6. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    you seem to be one of these fans that seem to think everything would be solved within weeks of a manager coming in. I guess you play Football Manager, where you make wholesale changes and everything just goes tickety boo? When a new manager takes over and has to reform the club from top to bottom it could take years not months to fix. Lennon left our club in absolute dire straights, but in regards to Ange it takes time to implement a system, getting that going from training ground to on the pitch performances takes a while to bond. Add that we've not had a full strength team since he got here, not once! Also the lack of backroom staff is devastating for a club to try and progress.

You really need to lower your expectations and think second will be a decent season, if and it's a big IF we manage to push for the top spot it would be a monumental achievement seeing the mess the club is actually in, if we're lucky we might win a cup this season but to be greeting about not being at the races is just naive, completely insane or blinded by the mass of the situation. If the argument is "we need to stop them getting automatic ECL group stages" you need to have a word with yourself, your putting ending them in front of the long term future of your club.

7. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    You’re right about Ange inheriting a mess and needing a bit of time but it’s the huns we’re up against, not PSG. It’s not long since they were in the lower leagues ffs.

8. James Gold Member Gold Member

The club needs gutted from boardroom level not dugout level. If you think the start he has had domestically is acceptable then I think your the one who needs to give your head a wobble. As for this season I never thought and still don't think we will win the league but why should we just sit back and accept that and pretend that we know for a fact everything will click next season ? Rangers have been terrible so far this season and we've been worse. As for the backroom staff almost everyone wanted Kennedy and Strachan gone and were quick to point out Ange should bring his own men in but we were told that's how he does things and the man himself said he would decide there future so why now the sudden change that he's had a bad start ?

It is possibe to criticise him without wanting him gone I think people would do well to realise that

9. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Your also talking about a club that's flaunted FFP rules since their resurrection, they didn't get punished or if they did it was the bare minimum. Any business or person that goes defunct gets assets stripped to cover their debt, they didn't so made the rise to where they are now a relatively simple task. (That's in its whole is a completely different story)

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly. It was a big rebuild in terms of getting us consistent over a whole League season or against good sides in Europe but not in respect of beating a Hearts team that was just promoted and a Livingston team rooted to the bottom of the League.

Clarke took over a Killie side in bottom place in October and guided them into the top 6 by the end of the season and then 3rd the following without spending a single penny in transfer fees. It also didn't take him time to find his feet, they drew with the huns and us within a week of taking over. Then they recorded a win v us 2 months later.

Ange hasn't been given as strong as a squad as I would like and has also been unlucky with injuries to key players but he's still had more than enough talent at his disposal to win games against very poor teams. Hearts couldn't string 4 passes together.

No more excuses, it's time to deliver.

bhoy81, Sin, Free the Adblock and 2 others like this.
  11. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Are you actually kidding me? Holy moly the team he's been able to field has been 2nd strung dregs and players thrown into positions they don't play in. Said it already tell me a game this season we've had a fully fit first team squad and bench capable of changing a game?

I'm not saying it's not right to be criticising him, but it just seems the large percentage of fans are at the 'I told you so, I never wanted him at the first place' pish, it shows how many of the fan base are fickle as * with the were celtic we should be winning every game 4-0, football doesn't work like that especially when wholesale changes are needed and in a transition period.

I just feel Ange is the easy target to blame for shortcomings, looking at results rather than looking at the job in hand. Many would rather revert back to dogshit football just to grind out results in the short term, rather than riding the rough and preparing for success in the future, I find that truly bizarre.

12. Forza 67

Be patient, we will have to wait 6 months for the rebuild to be completed so we can beat Livi away. Never heard so much * in my life.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  13. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    If you get a job in a company that's performing badly, you'd usually go in and change the staff at fault. For 3-4 years we've had the same issues yet only the manager has ever been replaced. Yet its always the managers fault.

14. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Unfortunately, every game we are now playing has became a "must win" game due to our poor start which doesn't help matters. We all agree that Ange has inherited a squad lacking in numbers and quality and the majority of us will give him time and backing however, if we get some more results like Sunday, that patience will get severely tested. I'm just hoping and praying that we are still in contention come January when, hopefully, he will get some new guys of quality (and height) in to help us win the league

15. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Forget the huns, they've got no influence on us not being good enough to beat Livy. Im aware we've struggled against them going as far back as Rodgers but a Celtic team who have anything about them should be turning over Livy. Our away form needs to improve drastically or we can forget about the League Title.

16. James Gold Member Gold Member

6 games in won 3 and lost 3 losing to a newly promoted team and the bottom of the league side that is * poor. Do we only have players injured for away games or does that not suit your argument because we have been pretty spectacular at home and equally as poor away. I've said in this thread I don't want to come off as the I told you so brigade because I hate that as well but the concerns I had have came true so far I accept it's mega early but he seems very stuck to plan A and doesn't seem to have a plan B the second part related to not bringing in his own men which I still think he should and punt dumb and dumber at the same time . If they had no influence on Ange at the weekend then there is no point in them being there we've failed and failed again at Almondvale trying to play that style it simply doesn't work.
    Again the manager himself has said they have been excellent he also said there future was in his hands so if you believe that then the blame for them still being here lies at his door ... But again that's if you believe it was ever his choice which I don't

bhoy81 likes this.
  17. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Never argue with an idiot, mate ...

McChiellini.. likes this.
  18. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

ange thinking i left a nice warm country for 10k a month for this * ;)

19. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Did you even watch the games? The hearts game we completely dominated them, they got a free kick and a corner both of which they scored, on his FIRST GAME, the very same issues we struggled with for 2 seasons so aye that magic wand didn't work on the first game.

Livi game again completely dominated them, they killed the game by playing anti football and stopping us getting any rhythm what so ever, faking injuries, time wasting etc. Yes we should have enough to break them down and win but playing against tactics like that unless you get an early lead your always going to be up against it.

The huns game we should have won, that was purely down to fitness and lack of options.

When you look at the summer signings you have to think how many of them are actually Anges signings? I'd say 1 maybe 2 and that's Kyogo and possibly Hart. That again us the board being the board, where the manager is being held the fall guy.

I think far to many fans are looking into the media citing our 'demise, struggles and crisis', SMSM doing what they always do and portray our club in a negative spin yet over the city its all roses and fanfares.

MusselburghBhoy likes this.
  20. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    You just told someone to lower their expectations and be happy with second in the league this season :56:

21. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Let’s not kid ourselves. We lost our biggest league game this season not because of injuries or the squad but because of the managers decisions and lost away to betis because he couldn’t see what everyone else could, soro being an empty jersey after his booking and leaving it too late to sub him