1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou has revealed skipper Callum McGregor is in line for a new Celtic deal.

The Scotland star has a contract until 2024 but that is set to be extended by at least 12 months.

Postecoglou, who takes his side to Livingston on Sunday, knows McGregor is a key man in his squad.

He said: “We’ll start addressing those sorts of things now we’ve got through the window.

We’ll work on the players whose contracts are current and see what we need to do there

I’ve no doubt Cal’s going to be a pivotal figure in this football club for the next few years.

The club will respect his position. We’ll start working on the structure off the field in terms of our staffing and how we do things, which is good.

Liam Scales and AussieGreek like this.
  2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Good call Ange, and dont forget Ralston. Oh and * can JK and laptop while yer at it.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Would be massive to get McGregor's contract extended and would be well deserved as he has been back to his best this season and shown he is really committed to being one of the core players in building this new Celtic team.

JC Anton likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Any update on his injury?

Dan Breen likes this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Postecoglou said he was optimistic he'd be available for the Livi game, so I imagine he'll be back within a week at most.

Dan Breen and JC Anton like this.
  6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Maybe some time off the bench Thursday so he is ready to go Sunday hopefully. Has been a massive miss the last couple of games.

7. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

From nearly being available against Livi on Sunday to not being fit enough for tomorrow…

I know we can manage without McGregor against Raith but if he’s injured for a bit then why not just say he is? It’s not gonna make him come back quicker saying to fans he’s not far away ifs that’s not the case. Same with Forrest, he was a week or so away last week was he not? Now it’s next month for his return.

8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Because players have setbacks and estimating muscle/ligament recover isn't black and white

9. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Then you overstate recovery time then rather than provide fans hope by saying yeah hopefully back on Thursday. Wednesday comes and nope Thursday won't be possible. You just give people ammunition.

Id rather we tell fans pessimistic dates of recovery than build up false expectations.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'm glad he's no playing tomorrow..

Give him a rest, leave him out Sunday and make sure he's back for Pittodrie next week..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  11. StevieBhoooy!

Not against Leverkusen ?

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'd rather just make sure he was back for Pittodrie..

13. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
  14. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Beautiful :ynwacelti

15. cammy07

Legend. Massive, massive boost.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Mental that he's retiring here.

17. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Glad to hear that.

18. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

Great news , hopefully he is the highest paid at the club and will see out his career here .

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic is delighted to announce that Callum McGregor has signed a new five-year deal with the club which will see him remain at Paradise until the summer of 2026.

The club captain, now 28, first joined the Youth Academy at the age of eight, and has made 338 appearances to date, scoring 54 goals.

The first of those goals came on his competitive debut when he netted the only goal of the game against KR Reykjavík.

He has won six league titles, four Scottish Cups and four League Cups, and was an integral part of Celtic’s historic Quadruple Treble success.

He has also been capped 37 times for Scotland, scoring his first international goal in the recent European Championships.

Speaking after signing his new contract, Callum told Celtic TV: “I’m absolutely delighted. It’s a proud moment again to extend my stay at the club.

'The club’s very close to my heart. I’ve been here for a number of years now, I’m happy here, I love my football and representing this club, and I want to stay here for as long as I can.'

“This is a new chapter and I’m desperate to see the five years out and if I’ve done that, then that means it’s been a pretty successful time again.

“That’s the new motivation for me personally, to make sure this club wins silverware and get it back to that successful place where we were two, three, four seasons ago.”

Celtic manager, Ange Postecoglou said: “It’s brilliant news for the club. Obviously it was an important year for Cal stepping up to be the new captain and he’s already shown outstanding qualities

“He espouses the values that I’m after. He understands what we’re trying to build and, on and off the field, he’s not just talking about it, he’s living it and he’s showing the behaviour that I want leaders to show, and as I said, he’s just taken his first steps but I think that it’s exciting with what’s ahead.”

AussieGreek likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

My Captain :57::57::57: