1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

This 100%.

We’ve all backed Ange. We all want him to win but he needs to start delivering.

He can’t stand arms folded on 70 minutes having been 0-1 down to Livingston for 40 mins with us barely making any chances.

The answer is he has to sort it and I hope he does. The answer is not for Celtic to dramatically lower expectations.

2. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I think we all need to move on from the Livingston game and look ahead . We hate losing. We also hate losing a lead and not taking advantage of it.
    It is what it is . We may have lost the battle but not the war.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I like this point and I agree with you. The situation is more nuanced than supporters simply being pro/anti the manager. Every Celtic fan wants whichever manager is in charge to do as well as possible. I think it's just a natural reaction that after three defeats in the league, people have concerns and that would be true regardless of who was in charge. Postecoglou being new, the squad rebuild, and good performances in other games have afforded him a little bit more patience, but if we don't start racking up wins that patience will wear out fast.

I think we have shown improvement from last season, especially in terms of squad unity, our tactics and style of play. Ultimately, that won't be enough, it all comes down to results. The game against Raith is a good place to start a run of wins and build up the confidence again.

4. AussieGreek

Celtic hero Stiliyan Petrov insists Ange Postecoglou is up for challenge

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/cel...lenge/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Former Hoops hero Stiliyan Petrov has made some really incisive points about Celtic and manager Ange Postecoglou.

That’s despite bizarre, unfounded criticism from Charlie Nicholas last week.

Petrov, funnily enough, used Nicholas’ old platform, Sky Sports, to give his thoughts on Celtic’s season, the work the manager’s doing, and the new players at Postecoglou’s disposal.

The former Bulgaria star, who made 311 total appearances for the Bhoys [Celtic Wiki], said [Sky Sports]:

“Everyone is talking about the away form. It’s just a transition period they have to go through.

“Ange is finding it very difficult to get his best team out on the pitch, he is finding it very difficult to pick his best players.

“It will take time. It’s a transition I think everyone expected. I think fans are quite satisfied with what’s going on on the pitch and it’s just one of those periods they have to go through.

“The way the manager wants Celtic to play, it’s very difficult. There’s a lot of details need to be covered.

“He always stresses how he loves going forward and loves scoring goals but they have got a lot of new players at the back and they need time to gel.

“There’s a lot of work that needs doing on the pitch, he knows, and he is talking about it. He is quite calm and he knows the process will take time.”

Honestly, I think we’d do well to share Petrov’s mindset here about Celtic and Postecoglou.

The former Hoops hero, instrumental in some fantastic moments for the club, is right. This team has come together extremely quickly, and there’s no way they could’ve gelled quickly enough.

Fine, we’ve been spoilt a bit by some fantastic football, big home wins and European exploits. Still, that’s all the more impressive when you consider how many new players have come in. Or how many big names have left. Let alone how long we’ve actually had Ange Postecoglou.

There were always going to be growing pains as Celtic adjusted to the new boss. And vice versa.

Panic, especially after Sunday, is somewhat natural. However, for all it was disappointing, it hasn’t veered us off-course. First place in the league is still very much within reach.

Postecoglou keeping calm and getting his players used to the type of football he wants to play is integral. Even the biggest and best reigns at Paradise have had early bumps to navigate.

Mickmac, bobs1974 and Jamesy Bhoy 7 like this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You don't move on til you correct the mistakes you made that led to it.

George Theodorou likes this.
  6. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    From what I have seen so far from Rangers they do not look crash hot to me . They will drop points away from home, just like they did last year. We need to win more games away than they do.

What I would like to see is 6 or 7 passes leading up to a shot at goal rather than 10, 11. It smacks at times of indecisiveness. The players need to have the courage to shoot on sight and catch the defense on the back foot. They do not have to get to the 6 yard box to do so.

Larsson was a master at scoring goals and had the confidence to do so. Looking at his goals hit first time reminded me of J.P.Papin.

7. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's an issue of most teams trained to prize possession. You're absolutely bang on the money- we seem to want the perfect shooting angle. Someone needed to remind the players that a * pitch combined with a subpar keeper (Livingston were last in the league) means he's bound to concede a long shot. Our players need to provoke luck, like CCV did against Ross County.

George Theodorou likes this.
  8. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Jaysus, what a take.

If we forget about everything else you've said and just stick to being 'practical'.

The Huns got 102 points last season. 32 wins, 6 draws and 0 losses. To be practical, to win the league, you can't lose 3 of your first 6 games.

We got 106, 96 and 99 points in recent seasons.

If you go back to the last time the two Old Firms really went at one another, you had to consistently reach the high 90's, some occasions both clubs reaching a century.

Which means no more than 4/5 defeats all season. Let alone 3 defeats in 6 games.

The big Viduka, JamesM09 and Peej like this.
  9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I don’t think it’s to do with pro/anti Ange for the majority.

I think most either do/don’t realise the extent of the rebuild at hand and the small margins involved with our loses so far.

For me I could excuse the Huns and Hearts result despite how much they hurt. Livingston I can’t, worst display I’ve seen in a while and only now alarm bells are ringing. I don’t just go from being positive to being in some sort of crisis.

However, crisis is a Pitodrie loss away. What a massive game and that’s if we beat United.

Peej likes this.
  10. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

because hes grateful and wont cause them trouble ? and it helps sell the idea of the "celtic family" thats why we keep hiring ex players, just because they have credentials in coaching doesnt mean they are good at it! unless the only thing they coach is running round a track and side stepping inbetween traffic cones

11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I hope Giakoumakis turns out to be a goal machine . We know what Kyogo can do and hope the Greek is at least as good in scoring.

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I reckon we must have one of the youngest squads in the SPL to select from. We are transitioning but also need leaders on the field from this group.

13. Sin

So you agree then he is on "Thin ice"! :57::wink:

14. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Livingston was not a good result and I think a draw would have been acceptable in the circumstances, given only a 48 hour turn around after that big Betis game in the heat.

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    So we are to accept defeats after every Europa game now?

Brilliant lads, another 5 defeats incoming before December is even concluded!

You don't half talk some amount of * by the way.
    NEVER should Celtic be accepting a defeat against bottom of the table clubs in this league.
    NEVER.

The big Viduka likes this.
  16. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Fine, am happy to take that information. I still think Rangers are *.

17. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Who mentioned accepting a defeat ? * is what * does !

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Quite literally you, with the post I quoted, where you accept dropping points due to playing in Europe 48 (72!!!!) Hrs earlier.

19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Right ! When is the last time Celtic won at Livingston ?

20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    What has that got to do with anything?

When was the last time Celtic beat Ferncvaros? Based on history, do we just accept to get beat in that game coming up as well?

Livi are a * SPFL team, bottom of the table. Celtic are meant to be Title contenders. We do NOT accept dropping points to this mob.
    No matter the last time we beat them, however many hours ago our last game was, no matter what pitch it is on, or who the ref is, dropping points to this mob is not accepted.