1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jota.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Jota. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Benfica have a habit of letting promising youth products of theirs (of which their have been sh*t tonnes of over the years) go before they get a proper run in the team I.e. Cancelo, Silva etc. But equally they gave the likes of Felix, Dias and Ederson a chance. Either way they have a track record of producing excellent players in their academy and hopefully Jota falls into that category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    AussieGreek likes this.
  2. jambo_cfc

Yeah agree with the roberts thing , could probably still do a job for us

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Some on here were wanting to pay £10m for Oli Burke as well :giggle1:

4. wulliebad

I would say lets wait and see, he wouldn't be the first world class player to be * by xmas.:56:

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC went from two goals to the good in Seville to two goals behind, as Real Betis exposed the defensive frailties that are all too obvious in these early days of Ange Postecoglou’s reign.

The thrilling, swashbuckling football that took them into that winning position ultimately played a part in Celtic relinquishing that advantage, but Ange Postecoglou’s faith in his style of play remained steadfast after the game.

He wasn’t alone. Joao Jota, who was impressive throughout the night on the right wing, is already a devotee to Postecoglou’s attacking principles. That unshakeable faith that the squad have in what their manager is trying to do almost brought them back from the dead against Betis, and it is what Jota believes will ultimately make this team a success in the future.

“If we don’t believe in ourselves nobody else is going to believe,” Jota said. “I think we have to stick with our process and just do our thing, believe in the ideas of our coach and our club and stay true to ourselves.

“Unfortunately we didn’t get the result we wanted [against Real Betis], but I think the attitude is there. We just have to keep on doing our things, keep on track and just believing in the process.

“I think the next games will be better. It’s not the result we wanted but let’s look to the other ones.”

Inevitably, questions are being asked of Celtic’s backline in the wake of the four goals they conceded to Manuel Pellegrini’s star-studded outfit, but Jota is adamant that the whole team must take responsibility for all aspects of their play

We are working on every front,” he said. “Defensively, offensively…we have to be strong in every single area. It’s not only defensively.

“We do the work every single day and every single game so I just think we need more games, more time and things will be fluid for sure.”

Given the circumstances of the defeat to Betis, with Postecoglou’s side missing a host of first-team regulars including captain Callum McGregor and emerging with a more than creditable performance, the reaction has been as positive as a loss for Celtic can ever be.

For Jota, the disappointment of coming back from Seville with no points in their opening Europa League group fixture was similarly tempered by the belief he and his teammates took from the almighty fright they gave the La Liga side on their own patch.

“I think it shows we have personality, because Betis are a big team and we went face-to-face with them,” he said. “That was a good moment from us.

“I think we have to face every single game like that and score more goals and I think we will learn from this.”

The Celtic supporters are certainly warming to Jota the more they learn of his capabilities.

A decent debut last week against Ross County was followed up by that eye-catching display in Spain, where his direct running and trickery on the ball caused huge problems for the Betis defence.

The only black mark against his performance was when he passed up a huge opportunity to put Celtic three goals to the good when in on Claudio Bravo, the former Manchester City keeper coming up with a crucial save.

“It didn’t go in,” he said. "We would have been more comfortable in the game. We would like to have scored more goals because we had the opportunities.”

The next opportunity to impress for Jota comes quickly, with tomorrow’s visit to Livingston perhaps not likely to be quite as intimidating as Thursday night’s encounter in the Benito Villamarin Stadium.

It has been a whirlwind start to life at the club, but Jota is loving the experience of being a Celtic player.

“The debut and this game speak for themselves,” he said. “They were two good games.

“In the first one at Celtic Park, with the atmosphere and the fans, I felt very good. In this one [against Betis], it was a Europa League experience that made my day.

“At the end of the day, I want this experience. I want to be with the lads. I want to help them through the process and just keep on winning and keep on bringing titles and victories to Celtic.

“ It was not a good start to the Europa campaign but the attitude of the boys is there. We just have to keep on.

“I will be where ever the coach wants me on the pitch. If he wants me on the right, I will be on the right. If he wants me on the left, I will be on the left. Or the front. I just want to learn as much as possible and I will stick with his ideas for sure.”

The next test for Angeball then is to see whether or not it can work on a plastic pitch, but while Jota hasn’t had the experience of playing on one in his professional career, he is relaxed over the prospect.

“As a Celtic player, at this massive club, you cannot have excuses,” he said. “We just have to be in the games to win it.”

6. h0tsh0t87

Growing up you always had that one friends who was not very good at football but could do all the tricks .

this is my opinion of jota - all these flicks and random tricks when there is no one near him is confusing

7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Today was an excellent example of why he has fell down the pecking order at Benfica.

He will do the tricks but once he gets hit then he will be posted missing.

8. Al Bootyerbaws

The one where he just stopped and expected the foul was embarrassing. He needs to man up if he's going to be successful here.

Dan Breen likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Him and Abada weren't getting much joy..

Why mo swap them over for a bit. Was that too much to ask Ange?

10. mayo

Hate to say it but if he was that good Benfica don’t give us an option to buy

11. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Has zero pace.

12. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Was impressed with him the other night but knew today was coming.

I think he'll be quite ineffective against most teams away from home in a low block.

13. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not convinced in the slightest. He's shown tiny little glimpses of having some skill, but as an effective forward? I think he's nowhere near good enough to be our first choice left winger. Same with Abada. Talented young players but for us to be telying on these two is just * laughable.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Arguably our worst player today it has to be said. Did not look interested in getting after it on that crap pitch today. Not going to go over the top and say he is terrible just as I did not go over the top on his first couple of starts where he looked good and say we should buy him outright. Simply too early to say one way or another. But if he is to have a long term future at Celtic he is going to have to show he wants to play in these types of games ( plus we still have winter to come) especially away from home.

neilly1987 likes this.
  15. celticdaft238

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    There was a point in the game where he had the ball and Johnston was pointing where he wanted it for a quick pass to slip him in behind the defence but Jota decided to just carry on dribbling across the line and it turned to nothing.

Needs to get playing on his teammates wavelength and not prefer to just go it alone so often.

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Johnston is a greedy wee * so I’m not bothered. He’s also pish.

neilly1987 likes this.
  17. Yorkshirecelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Think he would be better down south. Amount of times he was eased off the ball. He will get crippled here. I get kyogo is very similar but kyogo is experienced

18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    His preferred position and role is the opposite of what the tactic requires. Instead of cutting in, he must charge down the flank. That way, he wastes less time on the delivery of a useful ball.

19. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was saying the same thing before HT, swap them over, both were getting no joy.

Leone Naka Fan and McChiellini.. like this.
  20. AussieGreek

I’m happy for the kid.