1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not really, because one conceded goal made us fall apart. He did make the team willing to try, but they don't have the kind of confidence and mental strength required to play in Europe.

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Whatever his footballing philosophy, he needs to get results, that's the bottom line for him and every other manager.

The first 25 mins were excellent, but we look so fragile at the back, also think we miss a vocal captain and a physical presence.

Creativecelt and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  3. leeso-ardoyne

This! It's amusing reading the comments on here about Ange should have done this or that. I was even one if these screw balls said to the mate what Ange should have done haha. Ange won't budge fir anyone and that I admire him for. I enjoyed last night's game apart from the score. Give Ange his time and were going to be some team I do believe. He will strengthen up that team and we're going to have some good days again very soon. Just think back to last season how devastated we all were and some even on here saying the Huns where going to run riot with trophies in the coming season. Are they *! Ange has livened the place up and come May, well be champions and we'll be the ones running riot with the trophies again.

4. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    He should've been more defensive after we went two up.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  5. john2061

Totally agree should have went 4-5-1 after we went 2-0 up just not having the wingers bombing forward and there was only 16 minutes to half time and if we had kept it tight till half time and went in 2-0 up then we could have been in a stronger position .

6. BigDoggyWoofWoof

The reason that most people want him to adjust is because it's the sensible thing to do. Whilst it may be admirable to stick to your guns, it's in no way wise to do so when it turns a win into a loss. I understand that he wants to smother the other team with constant attack but with a squad as threadbare as ours, especially at the back, it's unlikely they're going to be able to sustain that level of output for 90 minutes twice a week without conceding a significant number of goals. The likelihood is that he will end up having to adjust as there's only so long supporters will tolerate plucky underdogs throwing away hard-fought leads for no apparent reason.

john2061 likes this.
  7. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I think the main thing to take away from the other night was the fact that despite a lot of injury setbacks and a threadbare squad, the team put on a performance none of us expected. We went toe to toe with a quality side and but for a couple of individual errors we wouldve got a result. The defence is so unsettled, completely new back four - surely we'll cut out some of the mistakes as it goes on

8. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Never trust a skinny manager or a skinny chef

9. jambo_cfc

i dont think we should have been more defensive , only change i would have made is to tell the fullbacks to drop back a little and not come inside

10. MAP

I blame the Board; hiring an experienced professional football manager was the wrong move. Board should have just hired "most people".

His history clearly demonstrates his methods don't work, and adjustment will be required.

AussieGreek likes this.
  11. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I'm not suggesting he knew him personally but he would have know about his playing style and probably thought he could be a success here.

12. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    Is there a chance that 10 players out in one hit made an inpact on the ultimate result in this match? Rip all the body organs out of a person and he falls down like a deck of cards. Yet Hoops lost 1-0 (4-3) away.

13. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Really dont get this thinking. Our defence is poor, our attacking players are our greatest asset. Why would we nullify our strength and play to our weakness. I'd agree with you if we had the Milan defence of the 90s to fall back on, not with our mob though

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    When Ange came in, did he bring any coaching staff with him?

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    No.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    To play devils advocate/flip opinion,
    Arguably our attack was weakened massively and since the start of the season, our defence is a lot stronger.

Is defence stronger than attack overall, no of course not. But the other night it could be argued.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t think you need to just flip between all out attacking and backs to the wall defending. What we really should’ve been looking to do was maintain possession and slow down the pace of the game.

Wether or not we had a team on the pitch capable of doing that is another question, but IMO at 2-0 up with so much of the game to play, it’s the right approach to take.

martin_d likes this.
  18. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    At least Dundee United would have an attacker or two they could have chucked on, we had Bain and Urhoghide. :56:

With regards to pragmatism, it's fine to say see out the half when you're 2-0 up, but you have to take into account who we had on the pitch. No team with Rogic and Turnbull as 2 of your 3 midfielders is going to be suited to 'shutting up shop'. And I'd argue that having Soro in place of McGregor greatly reduces our ability to manage the game by slowing things down, maintaining possession, etc.

AussieGreek likes this.
  19. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I bet Eddie Howe's drinking wheatgrass and sunning himself at some wellness retreat in the South of France right now, waiting for the next stress-free job with no expectations to roll along.

20. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I get that people are going to complain when we lose or concede loads and when we lose from a winning position like against Betis, but I don’t want him to change how he has us playing it’s so enjoyable to watch us again.

What he needs is more time to continue getting the team into his system, how well we are playing after such a short period has surprised me. I also think when we sign more players in January it’ll all come together more.

What worries me is that Ange still doesn’t have any of his own back room staff, I don’t believe we’ve replaced Jack naylor? Sport science guy. We definitely haven’t brought in any coaches or assistants and the structure of the club hasn’t changed at all… actually got worse as we’ve lost McKay but I’ll keep that for another chat. We have Gordon Strachan back at the club and both of his sons, and we haven’t changed any of the recruitment structure or got a DOF in as well.

We need the structure in place to get the most out of Ange and give him the best support possible.

martin_d and seanm like this.