1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Inverted Fullbacks

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Sep 17, 2021.

Discuss Inverted Fullbacks in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I genuinely still haven't formed an opinion I'd be willing to argue for or against.

I can see the positives and the negatives are crystal clear.

If pushed I'd say we don't have the personnel imbedded just yet to provide a valid assessment of the inverted fullback tactic.

A sitting on the fence * here.

2. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    I like the system but definitely need a smashing holding midfielder to get across and cover the full back positions. Hopefully Jimmy McCarthy is the man for the job cos it certainly isn’t soro

King of Kings likes this.
  3. jambo_cfc

What i would like to see is if we play with inverted full backs is whoever plays CDM when the full backs attack they drop back and effectivly giving us a back three so that the cbs can spread a little wider covering more of the wide area, know it would create a little more space through the middle but thats why you have a sweeeper keeper , think this would give us a little more protection and cut out more free space in the wide areas. I understand that could still be played through but it would have to be a right good pass.

4. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The inverted full back is a good play what is missing is the movement across to cover that area when we lose the ball if the opposition punt it into the gap we need CB and opposite FB to shift across which doesn’t happen as the other FB is also trying to get up or has moved inside.

I think it takes a bit of getting used to and we need a settled defence and partnerships to build also I think Hart has a big job there controlling and talking to them to push them into the right shape to deal with it.

5. Foley1888

I don’t fully know but based on my understanding the inverted full back is more an attacking strategy when we have the ball to give the GK, CBs and DCM more central passing options. Also then when the inverted full back receives the ball they then have more passing options rather than just down the line or inside given their position.

For me we haven’t had the players to play this with Taylor and Ralston as it relies on them having a good range of passing which neither has. Juranovic looks like he could play this way of the right for sure don’t know who would on the left.

As others have said defensively we need our CBs to split and DCM to drop. Another issue is Starfelt for this system, you wouldn’t want him splitting out to the full back areas when a DCM drops in and not sure I would want McGregor as my man dropping between my CBs. A big if, but if Scales turns out decent at LCB he and CCV would be a reasonable fit with a McCarthy potentially dropping in, Juranovic right back but left back still is a major issue then.

The other option would be we invert on one side, Man City do this with Cancelo on the right but not so much on the left at times.

Again a big if but Scales as left back this time, Juranovic inverts to the midfield,
    McGregor splits one side in midfield and Turnbull or whoever is the 8 does the same the opposite side Rogic or the 10 pushes up beside ST and Scales makes the LCB of a back three with CCV or Welsh out right and Starfelt, CCV or Julien when fit become the centre of the three.

Whatever we do we need to look at this as all our opponents are targeting us in those spaces and as AZ showed if you have a decent winger and a CM or CB who can ping a long ball it puts us under pressure.

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s excellent and a manager implementing it to this effect so soon is borderline a miracle.

Dinosaurs like Frank McAvennie “don’t get it” and that says everything.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I like it to a point but we really are easy to counter and exploit like that..

Just a direct ball in to the channel's and our centre halves are exposed..

We are still new to it and it'll take time to perfect but the problem will always be when we come up against good side's. We don't really have the quality to keep them out by playing like that..

Domestically it's gonna be fun to watch all year as we get to dominate midfields when either, or both full back's come in and make it a 5 effectively..

I do kinda wish Ange was a bit more flexible like the rat though. Having his formation but being able to adapt in game's and switch it up accordingly..

I feel like if we're 2 up, we'll still tell the fullbacks to come inside, leaving us susceptible to being countered easily..

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I like it, having an extra man in midfield to pick out can be really useful..

However, some of the positions Juranovic has found himself in, give me the absolute fear. :56:

Liam Scales likes this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Bit annoying that when our centre backs also don’t know how to deal with a direct ball through the middle.

craigtheceltic and McChiellini.. like this.