1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

No one was ‘piled’ forward for either goal in the first half.

You could actually argue the first goal came from being too camped in our own box.

Again, sheer laziness to blame him for the turnaround.

Players making baffling decisions and deliberately not going with their man is nothing to do with the structure or system a manager has deployed.

AussieGreek and craigtheceltic like this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We were nearly 3 nil up if Jota scores..

I honestly expected us to lose 3 nil, I was pleasantly surprised he managed to get that starting 11 playing the way he did...

It was only when we went 2 up I actually started to feel nervous.. :56:

The positives, when you take into consideration the size of the job, far outweigh the negatives..

3. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I’d say McCarthy is struggling for fitness. No preseason, got injured pretty much straight away, and is coming back from injury. Doesn’t really add up to playing 60 minutes in Europe.

The reality is we’ve had a very unsettled defence all season. Have we had a CB pairing that has played more than 3-4 games in a row?

CCV and Starfelt making their second start together. A RB playing LB. The 3rd choice DM starting who realistically isn’t good enough to wear the Celtic shirt. The RB returning from sickness.

None of that makes for a good defence. I can see both sides of the argument but most goals came from poor defensive decisions.

Agree that Soro should have been hooked at halftime. Ange was too late on that one.

AussieGreek likes this.
  4. Maestro 08

Its going to be the way of it. We cut them open so easily they looked shell shocked at the start but then we were cut open with ease. This will be the AP way, we were well warned and so far he hasn't disappointed.

Its more exciting but inevitably the outcome is still the same.

5. TheHappyLoss

We’ve lost our three biggest games but I just think there looks like something good developing in that team. Still confident in Ange

cidermaster, Moore and craigtheceltic like this.
  6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Same. I had flashbacks of San Siro last season

JC Anton likes this.
  7. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I thought for the first 25 minutes we were great and then seemed to fall out of the game. Like the concentration just evaporated. Soro's booking seemed to affect him and those around him. All of us were holding our breath waiting for him to get a second or a straight red. His rashness is similar to an early Broony who learnt for the most part to rein it in. Soro also seems to have this mentality that even when he must know he's in the wrong he's waving his finger and laughing at the official. Well you can kid some people some of the time but you can't kid them all of the time. He needs to get more disciplined. We didn't lose the game because of him but his booking was a big factor and may have caused us to lose one of the goals.

JC Anton likes this.
  8. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    I hope Ange has his eye on some players maybe from his former team for January

9. AussieGreek

You do realise in the Premiership we have conceded only 3 goals, which is the lowest out of all teams (equal with Hearts).

And isn't our season, according to you, defined whether we win the league or not, and NOT how we do in Europe?

You're just a reactive princess who changes their ideas for the season depending on how your emotions are feeling for the day.

Very childish.

Kiro Kompiro and Wllm like this.
  10. James Gold Member Gold Member

Just read the last few pages it appears Ange can't take any responsibility for the defensive issues we have as it's down to individual errors as they have barely trained together.

Going forward though that's all Ange. Angeball baby

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  11. AussieGreek

You would imagine any logical person would accept this:

Of course there's the odd headcase like Mr. Slippy who can't decide day to day what he wants for this season and overlooks the very obvious issues of injuries and many new players in the door for 5 minutes that need time to gel and learn the new system.

12. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This is not a measure of defensive solidity in an absolute sense, due to the gulf in class between SPFL and Europe. We can't play high-quality opposition on a regular enough basis to realize the true magnitude of our issues, until European competitions come, and there, having a decent keeper won't cut it any more. We're too big for Scotland, but too tiny for Europe.

The solution is to have two mindsets, one for domestic, one for European games. But Ange never offered any of that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  13. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    The fish rots at the head. Ange has full responsibility attacking and defensively. There are no if's and but's he can only control what happened and what did not happen.
    Forget the rubbish about time and injuries lets get on with it. Celtic will score a lot of goals and concede a lot of goals.
    Forget the stats they are like mini skirts, reveal a lot but hide the best bits.

14. AussieGreek

Of course, definitely. But it is Mr. Slippyfist losing a * that we lost in Europe by one goal (without acknowledging injuries or brand new players in the team), even though a few weeks ago he was arguing with other forum users that only the Premiership is important this season.

Unhinged.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've already resigned myself to seeing us be last in Europa League. We chose a manager that blindly goes forward. Most of the Celtic fan base believe a high-press, attacking football is the Celtic way, and that playing three playmakers in midfield is fine. I would put our best performances down to playing classic wingers out wide, which meant a proper penalty box striker is able to score goals.

I was content when I saw the match report had shifted to just 4-3 to Betis. At least it was not an embarrassment.

AussieGreek likes this.
  16. Kiro Kompiro

Those weaker teams aren't good enough to play in the Europa league.

there were eight Celtic players (plus the keeper) on or inside the penalty box in two rows for the first goal. No amount of organisation is going to prevent Celtics RB cocking it up and the defender next to him allowing the ball to be juggled over his head

Great post mate.

AussieGreek likes this.
  17. AussieGreek

It was frustrating and disappointing, but certainly not embarrassing.

18. Kiro Kompiro

Wait..was that a terrible decision because Soro was so bad or because McCarthy was so good when he came on?

19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Still, I can't help but want a manager who spends more time training his team in defensive arts. One example is practicing clearances in dangerous situations. Twice we conceded, because our players don't know how to punt the ball. They should know it already (poor prior coaching?), but if they haven't been taught this, then the manager should address the issue.

20. Kiro Kompiro

So what is your KPI Ange needs to hit this season given that its been an utter cluster * from the get go for him? Is it winning the SPL, the Cup, or the Europa league, or all three?