1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dermot Desmond

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TheHappyLoss, Feb 27, 2016.

Discuss Dermot Desmond in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Him and his pals are holding us back.

Big Shoes likes this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not sure if been said before, he's a *.

Any way that his sons get a job at this club, they should all be * hounded out.

Guys running this club like the shitebags in the early 90s, but is hiding behind the plc tag.

Job for his family, for his mates.
    It's all a * status to them. They don't really give a *.

Shower of utter *.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

3. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    You are talking about Desmond and cronies buying only 1.7% but then that leads to concert party and as such they would then need to offer 50million to buy every share over and above 50.1%. Do you think they would risk having to fork out 50 million if they buy 1.7% more shares

4. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Touche, however, I would refer you back to the post I made previous to that one, to side step that issue. All DD & the Board would need is to have any one of 4 or 5 prominant shareholders that I mentioned vote with them to block any attempt to overtake controlling interest, and that would make the entire issue entirely moot without having to spend penny one.

As any one of those 4 or 5 are existing shareholders, each with their existing shareholdings would be more than enough to retain that controlling interest, it's not a concerted effort needed to buy a controlling interest.

5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i thought you could always buy and sell shares in what ever publically limted comany you wanted ? , i.e. they were always available unless the stock exchange or the regulator banned trading in them for a while

for that to happen means so many of the shares are on the market to be sold or bought for no ?

why couldnt a fan group slowly but surely start building up a portfolia of shares could buy them when our board and as a result of the failings damaged the share price, that be a good time to buy when shares are down, over the coarse of a few years this group could have enough shares to sit in the board room and finally we get to know about all the * goings on in there, that would be a good first start

cant we create a fans group and fund it to do just that ?

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  6. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Find it incredible that people on here are talking about £50million like it’s an unattainable sum for a worldwide fan base of hundreds of thousands.

If every ST holder boycotted entirely, and took even anything like the money they would spend on their seat, merchandise, etc, and put it towards buying shares in the Celtic Trust, we’d be fan owned within 2 seasons - at the latest.

The issue is not that the board are immovable; it’s that there’s serious inertia among the majority fanbase. That’s the bottom line.

Peej and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  7. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Such a plan is only viable if present shareholders want to sell and there's no evidence they do.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    A large portion of our support are undoubtedly happy with their leadership.....so you're spot on with that very last bit..

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Peej likes this.
  9. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

so how does that work then

because shares and sold and bought everyday in all companies that are on stockexchage ?

why is celtic different in this scenario ?

the celtic stock share price might be high at the moment but i always thought that you could still buy it ?

10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There are only so many shares available to purchase. As have gone into previously in this thread, Desmond owns 37.4% and as recently as March this year catagorically ruled out any interest or intent to part with any of his holdings in Celtic. Thomas Earley Allison & the remainder of the Board control approx 11%. That is 48.4% of all of the shares controlled by those on the Board, including DD.

Other significant shareholders include Michael Lindsell & Nick Train (who also have significant holdings in Man U, Juventus, and other tech and sporting brands), John J Fisher (who owns Oakland A's MLB team, the San Jose Earthquake in the MLS & whose family own The Gap & H&M among others), Chris Trainer (former owner of Forrest Media) & James Mark Keane (a big noise in the wool trade & industry) etc.

If even a single one of them agreed to continue to support DD & the current Board, it would make any move to Fan Ownership having a controlling interest futile - even if the fans were able to band together to raise the funs needed to bankroll such an effort and managed to hoover up every single other share in existence of Celtic, it would still not be enough to take controlling interest.

DD is part of the Board (48.4% combined) and any one of those 4 or 5 I noted is enough to maintain a controlling interest and that is the bottom line.

Besides, as I have also highlighted previously in this thread, Fan Ownership is no utopia or certainty of things being any better either. I have cited the example of Barcelona, both in regards to the additional annual investment requirements on top of ST, and as we are all aware, of the current troubles that that club is currently contending with.

11. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm not saying Celtic shares are different just that very low volumes of shares are traded. Those who have the shares want to keep a hold of them. With such low volumes of shares on offer any fan group would take many years to obtain a significant shareholding.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The Celtic trust seems to be the most sensible option to get this organised and have been trying to do so, slowly but surely.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

MagicBallBhoy and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  13. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I’d even accept blood money from Qatar or UAE over these utter parasites.

seanm likes this.
  14. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    There are never more shares available to buy, than the number of shares for sale.

A number of the major shareholders would need to be willing to sell, for this to be realistic even in the slightest. But why would they? Of course, if a potential buyer offers to buy at, say, 25% above market value, then maybe.

It's all in the hands of Desmond. He knows this very well.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    His time is well and truly up..

There's no direction
    No vision
    No attempts to move us forward/progress
    Too many job's for the boy's
    A real disconnect with the support

You could go on and on..

One day I hope they'll all go. Only then may we reach/realise our current potential in the current footballing climate..

Let me dream..

seanm and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  16. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Still think the monopolies and mergers commission would take a close look at it

17. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    How? Each of those shareholders made their purchases independently and at different times, often years apart. It would be in all practicality impossible to demonstrate how they acted in concert conspiring over years in order to acquire enough shares and take a controlling interest, because they already have enough holdings that were obtained individually and seperately at vastly different stages.

Besides, when there are any of those 4 or 5 that I mentioned that could combine with DD & the Board to hold over 50.1%, so again I don't see how you'd make your case. They bought their holdings same as anyone else. They had the means to buy larger portfolios than most when they did, because they had more capital to do so - it's as simple as that really. Even at the times of the original float back in the mid-90s and subsequent additional issues, in 2001 & 2005 this was made clear. So it's not like this was somehow hidden on the fanbase only to be realized in 2021 by those who have become disenfranchised with the current Board.

And yes, i know there has been a long standing distrust of the Board that extends long before now, but the successes on the pitch have masked these until this past year or so, and where this discussion has come to pass.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Good to see him looking well

[​IMG]

19. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Hope he has a heart attack at the game.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Grow up ya melt.