1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron Carter-Vickers.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Cameron Carter-Vickers. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Pearse67*

In any capacity would be good though.

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    More impressed with his highlights than I was with Starfelt, just had a look there.

Seems a bit of a unit and has good recovery pace. Optimistic about this one.

3. AussieGreek

Cameron Carter Vickers has Celtic quality factor as tough road to top led him to Parkhead

Paul Coutts insists new recruit Cameron Carter-Vickers can star as both beauty and the beast to help break Celtic ’s goal-gifting spell.

The former Sheffield United midfielder helped the Hoops’ on-loan signing from Tottenham cut his teeth at the Blades earlier in his career.

And he is backing the 23-year-old to be a hit at Parkhead – once he gets to grips with the shock of life as an Old Firm player in Glasgow.

A season-long deal to take the Englishman came in the last breath of the transfer window as manager Ange Postecoglou continues to rebuild his side for the campaign ahead

Coutts is convinced Carter-Vickers will prove a valuable addition with a playing style where iron fist meets velvet glove.

He said: “Cam came in to Sheffield United when he was a young lad at Spurs and did well.

“The first impression I had of him was that he was strong as an ox. Take my word for it, the boys at Celtic will be taken by surprise just how strong he is.

“He had a bit of an occasional mistake in him back in Sheffield at that time but he’s had loads of loan experience now and has probably eradicated that from his game.

“He’s played on loan at some big clubs so will have benefited from that hugely and will be ready for the challenge at Celtic. But the size of the club he’s joined will blow him away.

“Playing for Celtic will be unlike anything he’s been used to but the loan deals he’s had will to an extent stand him in good stead for that.

“Cam will get a bit of a shock when he first arrives at Celtic and starts to appreciate the size of the club.

“I’m still big pals with John Lundstram who moved to Rangers this summer and I know he’s been a little bit taken aback by it all and just how big the move is.

“John moved from a mid-tier English club and arrived in Scotland and is only now appreciating how big Rangers and Celtic really are. Cam will be the same even though he’s coming from a huge club like Spurs.

“It can happen to any player. I watched from afar when Shane Duffy signed on loan at Celtic from Brighton last season and that didn’t unfold the way I expected it to.

“I thought he would do well due to his style and how dominant he is in the air but he struggled so Cam will hopefully do better than that.”

Ipswich Town, Swansea, Stoke and Luton have all had the services of Carter-Vickers on a temporary basis as the central defender continues to try to carve out a future at Spurs.

But Coutts believes this spell at Celtic can be as big a success as anything his old pal could achieve in London.

He said: “Cam’s at the stage that he’s had so many loan moves and it’s now about proving he can play in the Spurs first team or land a permanent move.

“Celtic will reap the benefit of him trying to prove that.

“If he can be a success at a massive club like Celtic then that’s just as good as earning a first-team place at a club like Spurs. This is a
    massive opportunity for him. He can play in the middle of defence or at right-back so he provides that option and he has a real chance to make a big name for himself this season.”

Coutts is currently captain of Joey Barton’s Bristol Rovers and believes Carter-Vickers is still a work in progress despite ironing out a few wobbles at his loan clubs and playing a couple of League Cup and European games with Tottenham.

The former Scotland Under-21 playmaker recalls his time playing with the USA international and told Celtic fans to expect a player who will bring steel to their backline.

He said: “When he first came in at Sheffield he was a quiet lad but he learned from those around him.

“We had quite a few leaders within that dressing room. In terms of style of play he’s an unbelievably strong boy.

“The one thing that he’ll bring to the defence is a massive physicality and he’ll definitely go and dominate strikers physically.

“His size and power will be a massive attribute to Celtic but, even for his size, there’s no doubt that Cam can play.

“He’s going to be able to build from the back if that’s the way the new Celtic manager wants to go, as he can handle the ball.

“I remember Cam when he first arrived at Sheffield. He was only a boy, he was a little bit rash and a bit raw but that was to be expected.

“I’ve made a point of watching his progress at the various loan clubs he’s been at and I have seen his improvement and progress.

“As far as the odd mistake he was prone to, it looks like he’s improved in that department.

“Hopefully Celtic will see that improvement and he can show just what a good player he is.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I wasn't particularly keen when we were intially linked with him, but I'm warming to the idea now he is here and we have the option to buy. Part of my hesitancy was due to me thinking he was a lot older than he actually is, I thought he was about 26, as he seems to have been around for ages, and I assumed he was going to be about as good as he was ever going to get. At 23 though he still has a way to go until he is at his peak, which is good for us.

Hopefully he can help shore up our problems at the back.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Big man looks solid as *. Long may it continue.

Crilly, Hammy89 and martin_d like this.
  7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He just laughed when he saw that fly into the top corner.

Crilly likes this.
  8. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Exactly what we've needed at CB.. superb performance from the big man.

Composed.

Crilly and Rydo1888* like this.
  9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Rock solid.

Crilly and Rydo1888* like this.
  10. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He was very good!

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Great debut.

Crilly likes this.
  12. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
  13. James Gold Member Gold Member

Solid couple shaky moments but solid for the most part

14. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Immense in defense. Also, I felt that shot, as much of a speculative effort it was, showed his determination to force matters. And it worked!

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    Hes a baby balde.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  17. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Noticed that the other players in front of him couldn't be arsed clapping - that's the spirit

18. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    The guy in front of me said the exact same thing. Can you imaging how good he would be if he was just a bit taller?

19. Onefootwonder

We needed some positive news on the defensive front.

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Fantastic game and looked really composed.

Looks like VVD at times, good passing and reading the game too.

Looking at him and Starfelt it’s night and day. Want to see Welsh play along side Vickers

Rydo1888* likes this.