1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by thailandceltic, Aug 30, 2021.

Discuss Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    There is plenty in the squad with re-sale value that can be sold. Don’t worry about that.

2. Orsenfelt

Still think we need a clear quality centre mid to control games a bit more and a different option than our passing game. Don't think McCarthy is the solution, don't think Soro is it. Maybe Shaw is but ideally I'd like to have seen us go and spend for first team quality there, bring in a physical Ledley/Wanyama type as I'm a little worried Turnbull/Rogic is the actual long term plan at the minute and they're both luxuries we can't necessarily rely on when inevitably we need to win some wet windy cup game against hammer throwers.

Probably do with another left sided winger too, Jota feels like the kind of signing we'd make for rotation but he's all we've got at the minute realistically.

Happy overall though. Can't solve all the problems in one window obviously but I don't feel the squad is threadbare anymore like I did a few weeks ago. On paper it's enough, with a bit of luck, to keep us in everything except maybe the EL until January and we'll have a good idea what's needed to go and get.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. john2061

The transfer window for me is so so still think we should have bought a midfielder in with Christie leaving and we are down a striker also from last season .
    I think the player in the youths lawwel looks a player big and muscular and was Watford player of the year for the youths and would promote him .

Wee Baldy likes this.
  5. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Maybe we missed a beat not getting Jamie McGrath

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

thailandceltic likes this.
  6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I've been contemplating this off and on today.

Originally I was * off with the lack of numbers that we signed in the window, especially after Edouard and Christie left.

However, like others have said, we needed something like 18 players in before the start of next season to get us right up to speed. We got 9 definite first team players (debatable if the others will actually make a first team impact). However, two of those are loans with an option to buy.

We've made some decent headway into those numbers that we need and I reckon we'll get another three or four in January. We're on the right track but it may be too little for this season.

My own thoughts are that Barkas, Bain, Taylor, Boli, Bitton and Ajeti need punting. There's a few kids like Henderson etc that I have no idea will make the grade hut need to be on the fringes of the first team squad or loaned out.

We would need another keeper, two left backs, center back, two central midfielders, an attacking mid, a left winger and a striker. That's not including if any loans don't make the cut, we don't pay the buyout and look to replace.

We're looking at still needing 9 players (possibly up to 11 if Carter Vickers and Jota don't work out).

All in all, it's probably too early to tell if it was a successful window. The quality so far has been really decent, with the odd question marks. Currently, we're 3 short of having a really competitive squad. Is that a good window? It's probably a mixed bag due to decent quality but not enough bodies in the door.

Orsenfelt and tarboltontim like this.
  7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Amazed that “yes” is currently sitting with the majority.

A transfer window isnt just about who comes in/out but about the strategy and timing. The strategy in the transfer windows cost us time and time again.

When will we learn that having the bodies in for pre season is far better than scrambling on the final days after we have been eliminated from the CL qualifiers?

We are still miles off being a well run club given our size and stature and some way off recovering to where we should be.

If this is what is deemed and acceptable window then get used to mediocrity.

Wee Baldy and oh bhoy like this.
  8. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Overall I think am happy and I think we all should be. Yes we would like to sort every position in one window but it isn't feasible. The damage was done previous to this window, poor maintenance over a number of years made this window bear impossible to be perfect. We fixed more positions than I expected us to in this window. I hope we approach the Xmas window in similar fashion and get us back to where we should be.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    How good the window truly is depends on how the signings perform, but the signs are positive so far and we got a good number of bodies in, which was needed.

Rydo1888* and Hammy89 like this.
  10. 76mark

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Elliot
    Fav Celtic Song:
    HH
    We should just go all out and sign Peer Koopmeiners from AZ for CM.. lol… I got told on here he was off to Atalanta?

11. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Happy but were still thin in certain areas, but we all knew it's going to take jan and next summer windows before we get to where we want to be in terms of quality and depth. But we might need that CL money to accomplish it.

12. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

What the board don't seem to understand is that by having to sign 12 players in one window is down to their ridiculous planning, reliance on loans and shortsighted approach to improving the team.

I don't praise my kids for cleaning up their shitehole of a bedrooms when they let them get to midden stage and I'll not be praising the board for trying to mitigate the * of a mess which was their own doing.

13. JamesM09

Excellent post. I wish people would understand this.

Half our support are on the edge of their seat to defend the board and make excuses - but don't dare question any of the incompetent * they do.

Garrymac1888 and Dan Breen like this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Its not the board that scout Duffy Barkas Boli Ajeti.
    But it was the board that installed a crackpot of a manager in Lenny.

15. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Apologies if this has been covered off already but does anyone else find it wild that we have effectively brought in a starting XI worth of players in one transfer window?

GK: Hart
    LB: Scales
    CB: CCV
    CB: Starfelt
    RB: Juranovic
    DM: McCarthy
    DM: Shaw
    AM: Jota
    LW: Kyogo
    ST: GG
    RW: Abada

And the 12th man being Urhoghide who looks rubbish.

At full strength I think we can fill out a starting XI and a back up XI:

Starting:
    Hart, Scales, Starfelt, Jullien, Juranovic, McGregor, Turnbull, Rogic, Jota, Kyogo, Abada

Back Up:
    Bain, Taylor, Welsh, CCV, Ralston, Soro, Shaw, McCarthy, Johnston, GG, Forrest

Squad Depth:
    Hazard, Urhoghide, Lawal, Montgomery, Connell, Bitton, Moffat, Dembele, Ajeti.

Still think we need to punt Barkas and Bolingoli and use those funds to strengthen the squad further in January.

At the very least I think that’s a well rounded 30 man squad available. Am I missing anyone?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Come again?

17. Samurai Bhoy

You’re missing McCarthy, but with his injury past we’ll probably all be missing him for most of the season.
    I’d throw him in there instead of Bitton when fit.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No, not really. We knew we needed a lot of players before last season finished.

Ideally I wanted us to sign a couple more but building a brand new squad in one window is always going to be difficult.

19. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Overall I’m reasonably happy with the transfer window, we managed to get rid of nearly all the players who shouldn’t be here anymore and yeah we needed a lot of signings but realistically we weren’t going to bring in 15+ signings in one window.

I reckon we only really need to sign a left back (unsure if scales will be lb/cb or how good he is) and a cm or 2. Then replace what we sell pretty much.

Also feels strange but I think CM might be our weakest area now:

McGregor, turnbull, rogic, soro, McCarthy and bitton (maybe moved back but still want rid of him) As recognised first team players and the youth of Connell, Shaw, Henderson and mcinroy.

Hopefully some of the youth players get a chance to prove themselves so we know what we need for January.

20. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Oh of course I included him in my transferred XI but not even in my back up XI. He replaces Bitton then for me.

Actually now that I think about it, Bitton has 5th choice CB and 5th choice DM would actually make him the perfect squad player for us. Hopefully we just never have to deep as far as 5th choice for either position.